Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
not_izzy

HELP!! applying makeup while on accutane

I have been on accutane for about a month and a half now (60mg/day - 60kg). I think I went through my initial breakout they were talking about, but now I am getting less pimples and the blackheads I had on my nose and cheeks are much much less visible. BUT my skin is obviously very very very dry. I got a foundation makeup that was supposed to be moisturizing but I can't even put it on. I put on cetaphil moisturizer when I get out of the shower and I put a LOT on. Then it LOOKS like the flakes and scales are gone, so I put on my conceiler and that goes on okish, but as soon as I start with the foundation it is just DISGUSTING. My face is so scaly and there is skin flakes everywhere! I tried mixind the foundation with a bit more moisturizer and that is a bit better, but honeslty, it doesn't really even cover anything then. And later on, the scales/flakes are back. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help this? I have even tried gently rubbing with a clean facecloth with cetaphil cleanser and again, it LOOKS like it helped, but as soon as I try to put the makeup on, all the dry pieces pop up. I look like I'm dying or something, it is bad. I have resorted to just putting on conceiler and eye makeup. But I think it probably looks a bit freaky. Tips, please! The lady at the makeup store suggested a primer but it was like $80 and I don't really want to spend $80 on something I'm only going to use for a few more months that might not even make a difference.

Also, my lips. OMG. I put on vaseline like 20 times a day and aquaphore also (but it doesn't seem to last as long) but my lips are so peely an sore, and I can't help it, I keep biting at the peely parts and it ends up leaving red marks. I can't wear lipstick (it just accentuates the grossness). Any ideas or is this all just going to be stuff I have to deal with and in the long run will be worth it? I am single right now, andI would really like to meet somebody but I avoid it because I know if they try to kiss me I will so dodge it because I don't want them feeling my gross crispy lips. not that they would because they can already see I look like a meth addict or something. No offense to people who are addicted to meth...

ya u might wanna stop drinking coffee. tea is alot healthier too. i was a diet coke and coffee addict but now i only drink coffee on ocassion if its a cappachino or something and diet coke maybe once a week. before i had coffee everday and soda multiple times a day. ull feel better sticking with water and tea. its more hydrating.

i wouldn't use the washcloth. that could be irrtating

um see i hate the makeup thing too on accutane. im so used to extremely oily skin and the transition is difficult. i would suggest a different moisturizer. cerave is better than cetaphil in my opinion. and a primer is a good idea. but not an 80 dollar one lol

Thank you for the tips! Maybe I will try a primer and new moistruizer. Cetaphil was what my doctor told me, but it really seems more like it sits on top of the skin than sinks in. Makes it look so greasy, but at the same time, the dryness is back so quickly.

I did switch to decaf, which I thought would cancel out the deuretic effect of coffee...but since I make it in a french press, and I got fine ground by mistake, a lot of the coffee pieces end up in my mug, and I drink them, so it's probably not as decaf as I would like. Perhaps cut it out completely. And cut out the occasional beer/wine as well. :s

ya i just decided one day to stop. in the summer. the three days after were horrible though. i had migranes and the shakes. but after that ive been fine. its kind of scary to think that caffinee did that to my body haha. u will probably just feel better in general. but it won't get rid of dryness completely.

Hey I've just been reading your post, i'm now kind of worried with the foundation makeup situation, i am going on accutane and i literally cant live without my foundation as I dont want to go out without it due to my awful acne. Do you think that its worth going on the accutane?

Look into natural products (100% raw honey on your face for about an hour before you go to bed can soften it up). Especially for make-up. I use bare minerals and it works pretty well. I am also trying out Mineral Hygienics- which is also all-natural and it feels like there is nothing on your face. Liquid foundations are too oily, and can irritate your skin. Mineral make-up is the way to go, and it's not as expensive.

Edited by mvfree

I don't know if you can use it on 'tane but when I went through my horrible cracking/peeling phase with tretinoin cream I used jojoba oil smothered on my face before the shower for several minutes. Sometimes I did light touch ups with it also. It helped a lot, and jojoba oil didn't make my acne worse.

I agree with Neyaney.. jojoba oil all the way! When I wash my face, I rinse it with just water first and then apply a few drops of jojoba oil (actually quite a lot) and I find that when i rub it around it gently picks up all the flakes i get from dry skin. Then I put cleanser on top of the oil and rinse everything off. Amazingly, the oil-cleanser combination seems to clean a lot better than just the cleanser alone by getting debris to really stick to it. Then I apply a moisturizer (with a drop of the jojoba oil mixed in if i'm extra dry). And then i add a couple of drops of the oil to my liquid foundation too and it glides on really well. Sometimes the added oil makes the foundation take a little longer to dry but it's definitely worth it in the end. I finish with a thin layer of translucent powder to 'set' the foundation.

Edited by Ducky8989