Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superfrizbee

I've had some great results but...

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here!

I’ve been suffering mild-moderate acne for a couple of years now (I’m a 25 year old woman) and never had problems in my teens other than the odd spot.

In the past the acne was mainly on my cheeks with VERY congested pores on my nose, chin and cheeks. I’ve recently swapped contraceptive pill from Microgynon to Marvelon (having used Yasmin for a month inbetween) and have been using hormone balancers including evening primrose oil. I’ve also been taking zinc and vitamin D3 for a couple of weeks now and have certainly seen some improvement, with my cheeks practically clear and my pores shrinking.

However, for the past few weeks I’ve been getting spots at the side of my chin (somewhere I never really got them before). They’re not my “typical†spot; there’s several in the same close area, they get red and inflamed, and instead of having puss for a core like a regular pustule they have a large - I mean unreasonably big - solid/semi-solid plug of god-knows-what that can be round or like a big, fat worm (sorry for the delightful details).

I'd love to know what's causing this as I'm desperate to get my skin clear in time for my wedding in May...

I've been using manuka honey to improve my spot marks (which is fab, by the way) and I know this draws out impurities from the skin. Do you think the honey could be flushing out some of the sebum that was trapped there (as I did have a group of fleshy coloured bumps before)?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I used to have these on my shoulders, basically your pores are getting clogged. It could be some toxins or something is draining out. To clarify are these bumps small?? or are they large like a normal zit? I suggest aloe vera gel to reduce inflammation then maybe some spot cream to dry them out. don't squeeze the core out though, that will only damage your skin more, as it dries it should push the core out.

congrats on the wedding btw :)

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here!

I’ve been suffering mild-moderate acne for a couple of years now (I’m a 25 year old woman) and never had problems in my teens other than the odd spot.

In the past the acne was mainly on my cheeks with VERY congested pores on my nose, chin and cheeks. I’ve recently swapped contraceptive pill from Microgynon to Marvelon (having used Yasmin for a month inbetween) and have been using hormone balancers including evening primrose oil. I’ve also been taking zinc and vitamin D3 for a couple of weeks now and have certainly seen some improvement, with my cheeks practically clear and my pores shrinking.

However, for the past few weeks I’ve been getting spots at the side of my chin (somewhere I never really got them before). They’re not my “typical” spot; there’s several in the same close area, they get red and inflamed, and instead of having puss for a core like a regular pustule they have a large - I mean unreasonably big - solid/semi-solid plug of god-knows-what that can be round or like a big, fat worm (sorry for the delightful details).

I'd love to know what's causing this as I'm desperate to get my skin clear in time for my wedding in May...

I've been using manuka honey to improve my spot marks (which is fab, by the way) and I know this draws out impurities from the skin. Do you think the honey could be flushing out some of the sebum that was trapped there (as I did have a group of fleshy coloured bumps before)?

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?

spots on the chin or neck are almost always due to a hormonal issue. it could be that the fact that you're switching birth controls so quickly is screwing up your system, so it may take a while for your skin to clear before your body adjusts to the birth control pill. i'm currently on dianette/diane35 birth control and ever since i've been on it , i've been getting acne on my chin ( the one place where i NEVER got it)

Thank you both for your replies!

Layton - these bumps started off small and no more than a flesh coloured nuisance. That's why I was wondering whether these could have "exploded" under my skin to cause the inflamed, red spots that I'm getting now. They might be entirely unrealted, but I wanted to think that they were just purging and making their way to the surface as they're being drawn out (so they'll bugger off afterward), but that may just be wishful thinking on my part! I've tried aloe vera gel in the past to try and fade red marks, but it really dried my skin out. Do you think I should just use it to spot-treat? I will also stop squeezing! A very bad habit that I've gotten into that I've been doing quite well at breaking up until now...

Foreverdoomed - Yep it's not ideal switching BC so much, but I think Microgynon was breaking me out. They put me on Yasmin but it was giving me leg aches so they took me off again and put me on Marvelon. Hopefully my chin will settle down as I'm a bit of a hormonal minefield at the moment.