Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3xacharm

I want to post about my disgust w/ Insurance Companies

I want to post about my disgust that the insurance companies (well most) won't cover such treatments like laser resurfacing, light therapy, chemical peels and the such because they consider this BS we all have "cosmetic"...

I say *@#* u and you're "cosmetic" procedures....the proof is in my damn face that I clearly am not looking to fix my face just so I can be "prettier"...... I want to just have NORMAL skin..... I want to wake up every day feeling OK about what I see in the mirror..... I want to not dread washing my makeup off or having to get up early in the morning to just cake the right amount on my face.

Acne is a friggen disease and it's about friggen time it's treated like one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only is it physically scarring, but it's emotionally scarring too.

I don't understand why they would cover Accutane or other meds, but won't cover procedures to correct this situation.......

ALL THESE YEARS AND AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID IN ANOTHER POST, FINDING A CURE FOR ACNE IS LIKE FINDING ONE FOR CANCER! It's not life threatening, but it sure is life depleting.

I don't know about anyone else, but my acne hurts like hell........and I just want it to go away and I need all the help I can get from seeking medical attention/procedures. WE ALL DESERVE IT!

Thanks for letting me rant.

The health insurance companies were no help to me either...when I had to apply for my own plan (after turning 25, no longer covered under my parents' plan), I was denied by every health insurance provider because of my acne history. The costs of antibiotics and topical gels is very expensive, so it makes sense why no one would give me coverage.

What's sad is, because of my acne history, if I actually had any kind of medical emergency, I would have to pay completely out of pocket. This put me in a very stressed state because you never know when you'll have to go to the emergency room, and having to pay for an annual physical and blood work is outrageous without insurance.

I had to wait at least six months before I could apply again. They made it very clear that I had to stop using all acne medications for that time period if I wanted to get approved the next time around. At the time, I was using Yaz birth control for my acne. When I stopped taking the pill is when my acne kicked into full gear. I've never seen such an extreme case of acne in my life than the one I had. I would definitely be a poster child for acne.org except I do not wish to release my personal photographs while having severe acne. I still shudder when I look at my before pictures.

I'm telling you this because I read in your previous post that you tried going off of birth control too, and that's when your acne got progressively worse. The combination of using the Regimen and my body just getting back to its normal hormone levels was the path to victory for me. The journey is without a doubt rough, but now I am totally off of prescribed medications and only have to apply Dan's Treatment once a day. I thank God everyday for my skin situation not being a daily stress anymore.

I'm really sorry you've been struggling with acne for so long. It angers me that I ever took birth control, antibiotics or prescription medications for acne in the first place, but I guess all we can do is warn others who are considering doing so. I agree that acne is a disease that goes unrecognized by those that have never experienced it. It is such a heavy burden emotionally and mentally.

Not sure if it will be of much help to you, but if you want more detail of what medications I've taken, and my struggle with health insurance, etc. read my posts on my blog. Take care.

Thanks for replying......

I started taking BC when I was 16 primarily so I wouldn't get pregnant! haha.....but when I turned 25......my face started breaking out...and that's when I went on Accutane for the first time and then I believe switched my BC over to ortho tri-cyclen because it was known to help acne. I didn't necessarily start taking BC for my acne.

Either way, I just do not want to go back on either BC or Accutane @ this point...so I'm hoping Spiro works for me......I would be reluctant to go off spiro but I might once I get this all under control and see if the light therapy can replace the spiro eventually....but it will be a while before I decide to do so.

My insurance company said their wording about what is covered under "physical appearance" is vague, but he said I could write a letter to see if they would consider covering the procedures I'm looking into.

I just might do that!!! Won't hurt to see if they will at least consider it......

I haven't been diagnosed w/ PCOS; however, I am at high risk of developing hypothyroidism and I saw in here that things w/ the thyroid affect hormones and therefore can cause acne. My levels so far are normal, but I'm not sure if being at risk of developing it would still cause symptoms?

The messed up thing is......nobody else in my family has or is going through this....and I'm not sure why the hell I was the one who ended up w/ the crappy hormones! HAHA oh well......

good luck to you!

I'm with you 100%. I think insurance companies are almost entirely to blame for all the health care problems we're facing in this country, and it's disgusting how they treat people with acne.

Sure, it's not a life-threatening disease, but it's still a disease, and it has real consequences for not only the social life of acne sufferers, but their professional ones as well.

Incomes and overall career success are heavily correlated with superficial factors such as height, and you'd have to be living under a rock to not realize that having discolored bumps all over your face is going to hurt your job prospects when the people responsible for hiring and promotion got to where they are by selecting others like themselves to be in positions of power.

Anyway, my hate for insurance companies is great enough that I've decided to change career tracks, and am going back to school to get into health care administration. I want to spend my life fighting the corporate scum buckets who spend their time deciding who's "worthy" of their benevolence, even as they line their pockets with exorbitant premiums.

And then you look at those clowns in government, wasting money on asparagus research or whatever instead of issues like this... if it was just acne research vs. cancer research, it'd be a no-brainer, but the way "leaders" of both sides of the aisle are flushing dollars down the toilet is simply disturbing.

I'm with you 100%. I think insurance companies are almost entirely to blame for all the health care problems we're facing in this country, and it's disgusting how they treat people with acne.

Sure, it's not a life-threatening disease, but it's still a disease, and it has real consequences for not only the social life of acne sufferers, but their professional ones as well.

Incomes and overall career success are heavily correlated with superficial factors such as height, and you'd have to be living under a rock to not realize that having discolored bumps all over your face is going to hurt your job prospects when the people responsible for hiring and promotion got to where they are by selecting others like themselves to be in positions of power.

Anyway, my hate for insurance companies is great enough that I've decided to change career tracks, and am going back to school to get into health care administration. I want to spend my life fighting the corporate scum buckets who spend their time deciding who's "worthy" of their benevolence, even as they line their pockets with exorbitant premiums.

And then you look at those clowns in government, wasting money on asparagus research or whatever instead of issues like this... if it was just acne research vs. cancer research, it'd be a no-brainer, but the way "leaders" of both sides of the aisle are flushing dollars down the toilet is simply disturbing.

Good for you!!!! We definitely need people like you to get into that kind of stuff to fix this messed up system!!!!

My derm office told me insurance covers botox for under the armpits for excessive sweating but not light treatments for acne...WTF?! I'd think having shit all over your face it a lot more socially debilitating than sweaty armpits!!!