Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just wanted to stop by and tell you guys that Petroleum jelly is just about the best moisturizer I have ever used. I use 10%BP and it used to dry my skin out pretty badly. Regular moisturizers would only work for a few hours and then my skin would get all oily and nasty. I no longer have dry/oily skin thanks to the PJ. I use about 3/4 tsp of it in the morning and a little more at night. How I do it: I put the desired amount in my palm, run a little hot water over it to soften it, then lather it on my skin and dry with a towel. Works great! I actually think its helping combat acne as well.

I have been using it for about a month. Doesn't feel like alot to me. I guess its like 3 pea sizes. It doesnt make my face shiny or greasy either - probably because I mix it with water and apply it when my face is still wet and THEN pat dry. My skin has a nice matte look to it throughout the day. I'm also a skin picker and I noticed that when I put it over a spot I picked at it my skin doesn't discolor as badly (brown marks).

Edited by Alex_09

hmm -Not sure what you mean by "rinse off". My skin absorbs it so there is really nothing to rinse off...

:cheer: to petroleum jelly!

LOL

@ Ahley- Dont worry so much! I globbed on tons of it the first few nights and it didnt break me out. I woke up with my skin feeling as soft as a baby's bottom. I use less now because its more convenient and I dont have to worry about smearing it on the pillows :P

Oh, and when you towel it off, your skin is still wet/damp from all the water? And how much water would you say gets on the PJ? I don't know if it matters how much water you put on it, but I don't want to use too much or little!

I apply it after doing my skin regimen when my face is still wet. I apply the PJ to my palm and run warm water for 3-5 seconds or so then just apply it to my skin. feels a bit odd when im applying it - not like soap where its all smooth and lathery, more like a soft slippery feeling. If it feels like I have too much on I will rinse my face with warm water. I doubt this removes it but I think it helps spread it out better. then I just use a towel to pat my face dry. Good luck!

Edited by Alex_09

Oh, and when you towel it off, your skin is still wet/damp from all the water? And how much water would you say gets on the PJ? I don't know if it matters how much water you put on it, but I don't want to use too much or little!

I apply it after doing my skin regimen when my face is still wet. I apply the PJ to my palm and run warm water for 3-5 seconds or so then just apply it to my skin. feels a bit odd when im applying it - not like soap where its all smooth and lathery, more like a soft slippery feeling. If it feels like I have too much on I will rinse my face with warm water. I doubt this removes it but I think it helps spread it out better. then I just use a towel to pat my face dry. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll report back by next weekend and let you know if I'm a convert :P

Also, I think the warm water helps remove some of it in the sense that it helps to melt it a bit. I had some Vaseline on my hands after using it on my face, and instead of using soap, I just ran them under warm water for a bit and patted them dry, and I no longer feel the residue.

hey all,

ive been using petroleum jelly for around 4-5 months whilst i was on accutane. it kept my skin moisturised pretty well and im definitely a convert. its also supposd to speed healing as it blocked out all the air between any wounds and the surroundin air.

in terms of healing, although it soothed wounds, i found petroleum jelly mixed with vitamin a seems to help well.

the only real downside is its hard to wash off (without olive oil and detergent), and it tends to stick to the shower tiles and is difficult to scrub off.