Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matt f

New BP User

I got prescribed Panoxyl Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) a few days ago for my very mild acne (only got 1 spot atm) and it is drying the hell outta my face lol. I'm going to get my derm to prescribe a 2.5% instead.

What is the usual reaction when using BP? I used a small amount on Friday morning and it didn't feel particularly irriting. Yesterday my skin felt dry and a bit irritated so I didn't use any. This morning when I applied a VERY small amount it stung like hell and my skin is flaking a lot. I've tried moisturising but it doesn't seem to do much. I'm just gonna leave it for a few days now and let my skin recover.

Edited by matt f

Thanks for the speedy response. I was thinking about exfoliating with a scrub to get rid of all the flakes but decided against it...Instead I just washed with water and applied moisturiser. My skin has always been pretty dry so I am hoping that the 2.5% will work better.

A website that I read earlier said "do not apply BP more than 4 times a day"..4 times!! If I applied it 4x a day my face would fall off...

Edited by matt f

Yeah no need to exfoliate, the mixture of an exfoliating scrub and BP might mess your face up....once a day always worked for me. I was just like u.. my face would get CRAZY dry and red but I used something a lot stronger, a prescription drug called DUAC. Regular BP is fine for u though since u only have moderate/mild acne.

Ok 2 days later and my skin is feeling a lot better but still flaky. I really don't want to try using the 5% again...

Do you guys think I should order Dan's 2.5% bp or try and get the panoxl 2.5% from my derm? Dan's BP would take a while to get here (UK) but it seems to be better (reviews) than panoxyl.

One other thing you might try with the 5% to get your skin to tolerate it better. The acne clinic I go to has their clients gradually step up to leaving the BPO on overnight. For the first couple of weeks, they have them apply it, then wash it off after a period of time. Over a 2 wk period, they gradually leave it on longer and longer, until they finally start leaving it on all night. Its a great method for getting your skin used to it and helps avoid irritation and excessive dryness. It would be sometime like this:

Days 1-3: leave on 15 min and wash off

Days 4-7: Leave on 30 min and wash off

Days 7-10: Leave on 60 min and wash off

Days 11-14: leave on 2 hours and wash off

After day 14, leave on all night.

It worked for me. I was actually able to get my skin adapted to 10% BPO this way. After my inflamed acne was mostly gone, they stepped me down to 5%. Now I alternate between 5 and 2.5%, since i don't break out as much anymore.

I've stopped using BP on my face and only use it on my back now. The new antibiotics seem to have kicked in now and my face is pretty much clear again. I've started taking zinc tablets as well + also improved my diet by sticking to low GI foods. In terms of products, all I use now is Dermol 500 lotion to either cleanse+moisturise with, or just moisturise.