Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kate2288

Doxycycline Questions

Hi there, this is my first time posting but I have done lots of reading of other people's posts for some time now. I am on my third day of Doxycycline, with a dosage of 100mg twice per day. While I know it's too soon to see any results, I am the worrying type and I'm worried I'm never going to see any results with this ... especially because I've heard of some people who were "100% clear" by the third day, and I haven't noticed anything! Not even dryer skin ... nothing at all. Also, I do know that antibiotics are only a temporary fix, but I guess my hope is that I can keep it at bay either long enough to finally grow out it (although I'm 22 ... so puberty is long over for me), or long enough to get an OBGYN appointment, take birth control for a period of time, get a dermatologist appointment, get on Accutane, etc. That could all take up to half a year, if you think about it. Anyway, I have a couple questions for those who have taken Doxy before or are taking it now. If you can answer even one, that would be very helpful!

1) I'm worried it's not even absorbing. Did you take it with food? What food did you take it with? Was it still effective? I've already found that if I don't take it with something substantial, AKA not just crackers or pretzels, I'm going to throw it all up ... and I hate throwing up. This morning I took it with a bagel with butter/jelly, and was absolutely fine with no stomach issues, but am wondering if the calcium and other ingredients in what I ate is going to defeat the purpose of taking it. By the way, I know the butter is dairy but I reasoned that it was less dairy than cream cheese, which may or may not be true! I guess my thinking was that it's better to absorb at least a little of it then to throw it all back up :/

2) I also take Vyvanse; has anyone taken a similar drug (Adderall, or anything else with amphetamines) at the same time as Doxy? Have you noticed them to have any interactions with each other?

3) I have read a few posts where people said it is possible for Doxy to permanently remove the bacteria that causes acne, but most things I have read say that the bacteria keeps coming back ... it's not something that can just going away. Is there even a possibility of Doxy removing acne permanently, after you stop taking it? Does anyone have a success story? I know there is a possibility that hormones are causing my acne; if this is the case, will antibiotics be effective at all? (Does there have to be bacteria in order for there to be acne?)

4) I definitely have inflammatory acne, and lots of it ... all over my face, chest, back, even a little on my arms and legs. I don't really get cysts. I also have what I think is comedonal acne on my forehead (tons of tiny bumps that aren't red. are only noticeable close up and don't come to the surface like inflammatory acne does). I've definitely read that antibiotics do nothing for those, but wanted to see if there is even a possibility of the Doxy fighting them off as well.

Well, even if you can't answer any of these, I would still love to hear your experiences with Doxy. Thank you!!

Edited by Kate2288

Hi there Kate2288

Re: Drier skin- Can't say it has ever helped me with that aspect. I don't believe it has any effect o oil glands but I could be wrong.... I was on it 6 months 50mg a day and there was no oiliness change for me.

Re: Absorption: My label used to say Take with food', but 'avoid taking with iron supplements, calcium or antacids.'

Re: Vyvanse. Haven't heard of this but you could check out interactions via http://www.medscape.com/druginfo/druginterchecker

Re: Inflammatory acne. Doxy is a good idea to try first, it does take about 2-3 months to see visable results or make a judgement on whether to continue, but do be patient. You are on a high dose though so you might see results more quickly. Doxy has anti-inflammatory properties and supposedly good for severe acne so it just might take some time, as with all acne meds usually. After trialing for a good amount of time, then if it is not working you would be right to discuss options with a Dermatologist and perhaps try other avenues. If you do end up going down the Accutane pathway, just remember to research all the side effects and go into treatment eyes wide open. Some derms do not go over the full risks which is unfortunate. I.E in the US it appears risks are strictly and fully outlined, but in other countries they aren't.

Could also be an idea to get onto Probiotics. These are good to take whilst on antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria incl. the good ones, so using Probiotics will replenish the good bacteria in your system to help keep illness and any yeast issues at bay whilst on the antibiotic treatment.

Best of luck in your decision, hope Doxy works out for you

Best, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

HELLO KATE, i m 24 in my teenage age i have also take doxy. fro 3months ya there r some side-effects but its therapeuctic effect is good,dont take it empty stomach.

I've definitely read that antibiotics do nothing for those, but wanted to see if there is even a possibility of the Doxy fighting them off as well.

If you have a cooperative doc, ask if s/he will give you a course of azithromycin at the same time. Although it also acts initially as an antibiotic, it appears to have a longer secondary effect of dampening the host response to bacteria (the real root of acne, IMHO). Typical dose is just 3 pills across 3 days to last you a month (it has a pretty long half-life in the body). If azithromycin plus doxycycline for a month doesn't produce serious improvement, I'll eat my URL. :D

Disclaimer: Don't believe anything random nuts like me say on the Internet!

Have never figured out why azithromycin doesn't seem to get handed out for acne like doxycycline. Maybe it's a per-country bias, or maybe the kickbacks are bigger from one than the other, I dunno. In any case, azithromycin offers an extra modality that doxycycline does not, and if I'm going to reach for antibiotics then I want results, dammit! :D

I tried doxycycline for awhile and it did NOTHING to help me! Maybe it had to do with absorption, because I had to take it with a full meal so I didn't throw up too. I dont know, but even still, it made me sick and when I wasnt seeing any results for a couple of months, I gave up.

If you are really interested in accutane, you could make an ob/gyn appointment and get started on your birth control, and then a couple days later, make an derm. appointment and get registered for the iPLEDGE program. You have to wait a month before you can actually start the accutane, and you have to be on your birth control for at least a month too, but after 1 month, you can start. So, it doesnt have to take a half year to start.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Tried it , kept me clear for about 3 months, then acne started growing back

And avoid sun exposure cuz it can make your skin BROWN while you are on Doxy

I've been on Doxy for about 2 years straight now. I have moderately severe cystic acne. And a combination of Doxy, and the topical Retin-A-Micro gel make it "tolerable" most days...

Doxy is an antibiotic so it basically helps prevent infections (which is what acne is really).

Best of luck! :comfort:

Guest Timehealsall
Hi Kate.

I just started Doxy for the first time three weeks ago. Same dosage as you.

I believe that I am just now seeing the results. Immediately my inflammation went away, but it didn't seem to reduce the actual zits immediately.

Not so sure about the permanence and if its some sort of "cure". My acne is hormonal, so it's only treating the symptoms not the cause.

hey severalwolves, how inflamed was your face before you went on doxy? I noticed doxy took care of my inflammation (on and off big zits for 2 months) but i am still getting small zits whilst on it. I should mention ive been on it for 3 and half months

Thanks so much for all the responses, they were much appreciated! Today is the one week mark, but to be honest I can't tell if it's working or not, because I overdid Benzoyl Peroxide in an act of desperation, so now my face is dry and peeling and there's still new acne coming up, although it's not quite as inflamed as it tends to get, I suppose. The BP would probably actually work, even without the Doxy, if I didn't overdo it and was very consistent with it, but I have acne all over that I really want to address from the inside out. I'm beginning to realize, also, how full of scars my face is ... even without acne, it would still have tons of red spots and look like crap :(

Since I started Doxy, I've been breaking out in entirely new places. What could possibly be the explanation for this? And those breakouts came up very inflamed, then went away very fast (within a day), but left bright red marks. So frustrating!! I know, I know, a week is too soon. I'm just frustrated, and was really hoping to be one of the people that sees immediate results.

One more question, is taking Doxy with soda a bad idea? I have to admit, I've been doing this. There were no explicit instructions not to; it just said water or any other beverage.

databased: thanks for the tip about the azithromycin, I may or may not have the nerve to ask my doc about it at the next appointment, but I hope I do :)

winnie4: I guess my real problem is I have avoided OBGYN appointments since my first one four years ago; to be honest, I think I'm just avoiding it. I've managed to have two serious long term relationships with no BC and no babies either, and I guess there's also a part of me that doesn't want to go on birth control JUST to go on Accutane.

Shantelle: Thank you for all the info! As for the probiotics, well, I've been trying to eat more yogurt. I'm hoping that will be good enough :/ Also, I'd be interested if you or anybody else reading knows what anti-inflammatory properties Doxy has in it, because if it's doing anything so far that's probably it.

Severalwolves: keep me updated on how it works for you! When you say you're just now seeing results, do you mean that the old acne is going away or new acne has stopped showing up? Because, unfortunately, I'm still getting new acne ...

clairebear: Since you have been on it for so long, have you noticed any resistance yet, or does it still work the same as when you started it?

Edited by Kate2288

Hi there

The anti-inflammatory aspect of Doxy (or other tetracyclines) 'isn't understood' by derms yet. See: http://dermnetnz.org/treatments/tetracycline.html My Derm told me it can take over a month to see improvement and that anti-inflammatory effects accumulate the longer you are on it. This is why it is also often prescribed as a first-line treatment for people with an inflammatory skin condition called Rosacea.

Yes I believe as long as the yoghurt says it has the live cultures in it, then it will be beneficial. Probiotcs would be the best though, if you can get your hands on some from a health supplements store.

Initial breakouts are possible on any acne med. People may say this is not true, but it certainly was the case when i first ever tried Doxy. I.E. It is probably just a less common occurance to get an IB from antibiotics.

Best, Shantelle

Edited by Shantelle

winnie4: I guess my real problem is I have avoided OBGYN appointments since my first one four years ago; to be honest, I think I'm just avoiding it. I've managed to have two serious long term relationships with no BC and no babies either, and I guess there's also a part of me that doesn't want to go on birth control JUST to go on Accutane.

I personally wouldn't take doxycycline without taking birth control because just like Accutane and really a lot of other antibiotics, it can cause harm to an unborn fetus. And for women, birth control can really help with acne, especially hormonal acne. Its totally your choice, but I wouldn't risk it myself!

Update: 13 days in, still seeing no results whatsoever. Although I was prescribed 100mg twice a day, I have reduced it to once a day, because taking it in the morning made me SO tired ALL day, and sick, and I just couldn't deal with that. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing fatigue from antibiotics, but I definitely did, so I have only been taking it at night. I know I'm only 13 days in, and have reduced my intake, but even so I am starting to think this one's not for me. In my opinion, if you're going to see results, 100mg a day is probably enough. I know that many of the P-acnes bacteria, regardless of whether you've taken tetracyclines before, are already resistant to them, and sadly this might be the case with me. :( I'll keep going until I run out, just for the sake of experimentation. If it doesn't work, I have decided Accutane is not my next step, at least at this point. It's just not severe enough to warrant those kinds of side effects, and my body is sensitive to everything it consumes; I think Accutane would be a nightmare for me.

Winnie: I think you're probably right. I might as well get on board with the birth control, and it might help with the acne anyway. I don't know why I've been avoiding it for so long ... oh, wait, it could be that dreaded OBGYN visit! lol

Edited by Kate2288

Update: 13 days in, still seeing no results whatsoever. Although I was prescribed 100mg twice a day, I have reduced it to once a day, because taking it in the morning made me SO tired ALL day, and sick, and I just couldn't deal with that. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing fatigue from antibiotics, but I definitely did, so I have only been taking it at night. I know I'm only 13 days in, and have reduced my intake, but even so I am starting to think this one's not for me. In my opinion, if you're going to see results, 100mg a day is probably enough. I know that many of the P-acnes bacteria, regardless of whether you've taken tetracyclines before, are already resistant to them, and sadly this might be the case with me. :( I'll keep going until I run out, just for the sake of experimentation. If it doesn't work, I have decided Accutane is not my next step, at least at this point. It's just not severe enough to warrant those kinds of side effects, and my body is sensitive to everything it consumes; I think Accutane would be a nightmare for me.

Winnie: I think you're probably right. I might as well get on board with the birth control, and it might help with the acne anyway. I don't know why I've been avoiding it for so long ... oh, wait, it could be that dreaded OBGYN visit! lol

Hi Kate,

We're on the same boat. Today will mark week 3 of taking doxycycline (2 times a day 100mg). Thankfully I have yet to have any side effects. I take it right after a meal and I am as well taking YAZ. Tomorrow I'll be done with my first week on yaz. I noticed that my acne is finally coming up and turning into zits. My acne is pretty bad. I have hundreds on my forehead and both sides of my face. It's so embarrassing and I'm trying to cover up with makeup (clinique acne solutions foundation). I use the clinique regimen. And there's this spot healing gel as well that burns the hell out of your acne but i hope it helps. I just wanted to tell you not to give up hope. I was miserable for a whole week while I was on minocycline (crying, depressed, didn't want to show my face to anyone) and when i couldn't handle the side effects my doctor put me on doxy. Thankfully nothing crazy yet. And I'm hoping it'll stay that way. I am as well eating 2 tablets of Acidophilius everyday just so the antibiotics doesn't screw me over fully in the long run (yeast infections and the whole shabang). I take doxy in the morning after having 2 slices of toast. And midday I will take YAZ. And when I get home around 7ish from work I have dinner and right after I take another doxy. My sister had the same problem when she was my age. I'm 22. She broke out crazy (not as bad as me) but she was put on Yaz and Tetracycline. She was on them for 3 months and I remember her face going back to normal. We'll make it. I promise! This isn't permanent. :) I'm just telling myself to stay strong and before I know it, I'll have a clear face again. We just have to be patient. Oh by the way, my acne was caused by 1)hormones, 2)stress 3)poor diet. So try to change up your lifestyle a bit. It might help. I cut soda and caffeine permanently. I stopped eating out (fast foods) and I am drinking 2 liters of water a day. If we can improve our lifestyle and destress ourselves, I'm sure we'll see a difference in our skin and our approach on life in no time. Hope you're feeling better! Keep us updated on your progress!