Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys,

I'm starting this thread as journal to document my experience with "Stop Picking" -- an online program to teach compulsive skin pickers personalized strategies for combatting PSP.

I signed up on November 5 and have been working at it for two days now.

Just so you know, my skin picking started when I began to get acne, but now I pick at my acne, ingrown hairs, scars, etc. Any skin "blemish." So, if you are like me and pick as a habit/addiction/compulsion, you just might benifit from this program, too. It was recommended to me by researchers at the University of Minnesota (Brian Odlaug), and it was created by researchers at Harvard, so it's based on research, not finiancial gain (like I had originally thought). Although you do have to pay a subscription fee, I have found that it is worth it.

I intend to use this journal to document my progress so that anyone who is as desperate as I am and is not benefitting from medicine alone can decide if the program is right for them as well.

Let me know if you are in the same boat, have any questions, or just need someone to talk to. I'd be glad to help :]

Regards,

MsBlueSky

-the website is StopPicking.com-

Edited by MsBlueSky

This program is really what I needed. I knew I needed accountability for picking, but I didn't want to throw that burden on a person. It would be a huge responsibility for someone close to me to feel like they have to stop me from picking, and I'm sure I would begin to resent them for stopping me in the middle of picking.

With the online program, I am learning to be more aware of when I pick, why I pick, what triggers it, what emotions are associated with it, etc by entering logs each time I have an urge and/or picking episode. What's cool is that most times, when I feel the urge to pick, I'll think, "Man, I don't want to have to log this later as an 'episode,' so I'm going to just walk away from this risky situation." I haven't picked this little in at least a year, if not two. It's quite exciting :]

More updates to come...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/730033 Another good article.

There's also an article about the website you go to on Medscape. I'll leave your link to the site in your first post there, even though it is a subscription website, as it may prove helpful to others and has been reviewed in medical journals.

Thanks for posting that. I'll have to make an account and take a look. ^.^

I've had a few off days where I picked a little more than usual, but for the most part, I've been keeping it under 5 minutes per day. I try not to let the fact that I picked at all get me down because I know that the point of this module in the program is to document episodes and urges, not combat them. Not yet, anyway.

I read on the site that it takes a few months after you've stopped picking for the purple scars to decrease. I wish there was a way to speed that up because I hate looking at them. Hopefully they will inspire me to get better the farther along I get.

I'm a strong supporter of the simple wins in life. Focusing on the simple wins is so rewarding.

If I pick less than the day before, you can bet I'm counting my blessings :]