Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bee4

I'm sure my derm is lying to me about the indented scars I have

How long does it take for an acne scar to form a pit?

I think my dermatologist is lying to me:-

He put me on Obagi and Retin A so that I would have clear, pimple free skin for my wedding on new year's eve. This broke me out in lots of acne pimples.

I'm sure that some of the red spots left behind by these pimples have indented and will be permanent pitted scars. However, the dermatologist says that this would be impossible as it takes 6 months for the skin to contract and form a pitted scar. He says the red marks I'm seeing are simply red marks and not pits but I'M POSITIVE THEY ARE INDENTED WHEN I LOOK IN THE MIRROR.

WHo's right? It's been 2 months since the pimples healed.

were you ever on accutane in the past?

Unfortunately.. for the first 8-12 weeks tazorac or Retin A gives you an initial breakout... do some research on that.

See if he can put you on an antibiotic to minimize the breakout...

I cant say for sure whos right....BUT, if YOU see a scar, then theres a scar, and no one can tell you differently!!

Id get some blue light treatments for a clear zit free glowing skin for the wedding!!

Adella

I cant say for sure whos right....BUT, if YOU see a scar, then theres a scar, and no one can tell you differently!!

Id get some blue light treatments for a clear zit free glowing skin for the wedding!!

Adella

the way i see it, you have several options. you can stay with your current derm, or find a new one and continue using retin a or decide to try a new form of treatment.

as for the derm, im sure he is simply following what was taught to him at uni or in some textbook somewhere. some derms will refuse to go beyond this and this means they can sometimes be wrong. i completely believe you when you say you are seeing some scarring....especially since it is quite common in the early stages of retin-a use.

as for continuing to use retin-a, that is completely your decision. its generally believed the more you longer you use retin-a, the more your scars will improve. so any short term pitting you may have developed should disappear in the long term if you continue treatment.

i think i will soon be recommended retin-a too and although id truly like to believe any new scarring id get would disappear over time, im simply too afraid to try it.

Guest Timehealsall

Adella

the way i see it, you have several options. you can stay with your current derm, or find a new one and continue using retin a or decide to try a new form of treatment.

as for the derm, im sure he is simply following what was taught to him at uni or in some textbook somewhere. some derms will refuse to go beyond this and this means they can sometimes be wrong. i completely believe you when you say you are seeing some scarring....especially since it is quite common in the early stages of retin-a use.

as for continuing to use retin-a, that is completely your decision. its generally believed the more you longer you use retin-a, the more your scars will improve. so any short term pitting you may have developed should disappear in the long term if you continue treatment.

i think i will soon be recommended retin-a too and although id truly like to believe any new scarring id get would disappear over time, im simply too afraid to try it.

was the derm right in that a pitted scar can form 6-12 months after a lesion goes away? According to my derm, pits usually form rather quickly once the zit flattens

Adella

was the derm right in that a pitted scar can form 6-12 months after a lesion goes away? According to my derm, pits usually form rather quickly once the zit flattens

timehealsall - thats what i thought. like if im scarring, it usually appears a lot quicker than that...like in a week or two. im guessing maybe he is talking about rolling scars which you can only tell if they are indented once the redness fades..that takes a few months doesnt it?

either way if she is scarring, i think shed notice more than a derm, lol.

timehealsall - thats what i thought. like if im scarring, it usually appears a lot quicker than that...like in a week or two. im guessing maybe he is talking about rolling scars which you can only tell if they are indented once the redness fades..that takes a few months doesnt it?

My red marks in the picture that I posted exactly one month ago didn't form a pit until a week or so ago. And I had the red marks longer than a month. I hope that just made sense. The whole time I was thanking the Lord that they didn't pit, the skin was even and smooth, then a week ago I realized they had formed into rolling scars. I can feel them when I glide my finger over my skin, and I can see them in certain (almost all) lighting. I look at my skin every day (or used to :( now I dread it so much) in every lighting, so I know it took longer than 1-2 weeks to pit. It took about a month?

And they are from Tazorac unfortunately. Not the Tazorac itself, but they're from the bad initial breakout I got from it. First I thought Taz helped them not pit, but the truth always reveals itself sooner or later.. ha. Sucks. Hopefully overtime, Taz will get rid of their appearance...

My red marks in the picture that I posted exactly one month ago didn't form a pit until a week or so ago. And I had the red marks longer than a month. I hope that just made sense. The whole time I was thanking the Lord that they didn't pit, the skin was even and smooth, then a week ago I realized they had formed into rolling scars. I can feel them when I glide my finger over my skin, and I can see them in certain (almost all) lighting. I look at my skin every day (or used to :( now I dread it so much) in every lighting, so I know it took longer than 1-2 weeks to pit. It took about a month?

And they are from Tazorac unfortunately. Not the Tazorac itself, but they're from the bad initial breakout I got from it. First I thought Taz helped them not pit, but the truth always reveals itself sooner or later.. ha. Sucks. Hopefully overtime, Taz will get rid of their appearance...

hmm, im sorry to hear that sapphire. i remember your experiences from a few months back coming up when i was doing a search of retinoids on this site. perhaps they can take longer to form. i hope it improves over time for you...

He put me on Obagi and Retin A so that I would have clear, pimple free skin for my wedding on new year's eve. This broke me out in lots of acne pimples.

Retin-A is a piece of crap, it will give you more pimples initially and will also make your skin scar easily and heal poorly.

I think your derm is right. I have had deep red scarring in the past which could be seen through make up and looked so bad in certain lighting they looked like craters. However once the redness left i had no scars. Redness makes it look like you have scarring when you dont. Personally I agree with your derm i think you are jumping the gun on this one. And to be honest when you have acne scarring you know you have scarring - if you are even questioning whether they are scars or not that indicates to me that 1. even if they were scars they must my incredibly mild and 2. it will be impossible to say for certain with the redness still there. And by the way redness is because the skin is still healing. Your body still thinks its in the process of healing itself so it really is impossible for you to say right now whether there are scars there.

I say congratulations on the wedding! I am sure you will be a gorgeous bride. I wish you all the happiness! :)

hmm, im sorry to hear that sapphire. i remember your experiences from a few months back coming up when i was doing a search of retinoids on this site. perhaps they can take longer to form. i hope it improves over time for you...

Whoops, actually I posted that picture of my red marks TWO months ago. So it took even longer than I had stated for them to pit. :/

no treatment works over night.

If you had a wedding, the doc IMO should have talked to you about clearing up your skin with something that wouldn't give you a breakout...

There are things you can do to minimize initial breakout like minocycline, and benzaclin or benzoyl peroxide during day time... this is very harsh on the skin however.

I would continue retin A but also see a second derm if you feel inclined to get a second opinion.

As it stands, retin A is a slow working treatment like tazorac. Your skin will take time to get used to it and clear up after the initial breakout... usually 8-12 weeks.

Best of luck.