Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SocialAnxiety

Another way to help with flaking

I'm sure someone else has made a post about this, but i don't really see that many people talking about it.

Some people do the jojoba oil exfoliation method, some apply it after cleansing, and most use it in their moisturizer, or they do all three, and it usually helps reduce/completely eliminate flakes, but if you're still having trouble you could try what i do.

I cleanse, let it dry completely (10-15 minutes) apply a generous amount of oil (in my case, olive, but jojoba is probably better, and most of you already have it on hand) and massage until all the flakes are free, and the skin underneath is smooth as possible, then i gently wipe off the flakes with my fingers (you can use a towel, flannel, soft old tshirt, toilet paper squares (which work really well as blotting paper) and apply BP, Moisturize, and just blot off the excess oil later if it bothers you.

It works REALLY well, at least for me, combined with a drop of oil in my moisturizer, so if you guys are still really flaky after trying everything, you could give this a go.

(Might be potentially irritating, so be careful if you have really sensitive skin)

Guest Timehealsall

the only thing i havent tried, other than this, is putting jojoba oil on before applying BP. is that a good idea?

Also, is there any way that rubbing flakes off can cause scarring? i am just so paranoid about that idea for some reason!

the only thing i havent tried, other than this, is putting jojoba oil on before applying BP. is that a good idea?

Also, is there any way that rubbing flakes off can cause scarring? i am just so paranoid about that idea for some reason!

Flakes are just... flakes, it can't really cause scarring, since its not like your ripping anything off that wouldn't already do it itself eventually.

I tried that at first, but i get so many flakes after cleansing that it just makes the flakes all soggy and goop up with the BP, so i do this instead.

P.S, Answered those in the wrong order :/

Edited by SocialAnxiety

Guest Timehealsall

Flakes are just... flakes, it can't really cause scarring, since its not like your ripping anything off that wouldn't already do it itself eventually.

I tried that at first, but i get so many flakes after cleansing that it just makes the flakes all soggy and goop up with the BP, so i do this instead.

thanks for the response. also this is unrelated, but i have these weird bumps on my nose (they look like small pimples but you can barely feel them) i think they might be clogged pores. My question is, do clogged pores ever go away on their own or do would something like BP or AHA take care of that? Can clogged pores scar?

thanks for the response. also this is unrelated, but i have these weird bumps on my nose (they look like small pimples but you can barely feel them) i think they might be clogged pores. My question is, do clogged pores ever go away on their own or do would something like BP or AHA take care of that? Can clogged pores scar?

BP would actually help with that (at least in my experience), but i'm not so sure about AHA, and the only way it could cause scarring is from the gunk in the pore stretching it out, causing enlarged pores.

Guest Timehealsall

BP would actually help with that (at least in my experience), but i'm not so sure about AHA, and the only way it could cause scarring is from the gunk in the pore stretching it out, causing enlarged pores.

can clogged pores be of pink color?

can clogged pores be of pink color?

i'm... Not exactly sure, maybe if its inflamed or irritated maybe? it might just be super small pimples, i've never personally had them though, mine are usually tender and sore as all hell, and get big pus-y heads on them.

Guest Timehealsall

man these small zits on my nose are very frustrating. I literally have 15 of them, but they are so tiny.

Hey socielanxiety i have a question. Is it possible that a product can break you out in one area but not the other? For example is it possible that maybe jojoba oil can break me out on my nose, but not on my cheeks/forehead?

man these small zits on my nose are very frustrating. I literally have 15 of them, but they are so tiny.

Hey socielanxiety i have a question. Is it possible that a product can break you out in one area but not the other? For example is it possible that maybe jojoba oil can break me out on my nose, but not on my cheeks/forehead?

i don't really THINK so, but maybe.

Guest Timehealsall

thanks for your patience and help.

Just one last question, are you using the full fingers lenght of BP? I am currently using only 3/4 because a full fingers lenght was wayy too drying.

Also have you ever been on antibiotics? How did they work for you?

thanks for your patience and help.

Just one last question, are you using the full fingers lenght of BP? I am currently using only 3/4 because a full fingers lenght was wayy too drying.

Also have you ever been on antibiotics? How did they work for you?

Yes i am, i use two full pumps of dan's BP, Sometimes even more.

No i've never been to a derm or tried any prescribed acne medication.

mostly just holistic stuff and things sold at walmart or target.

Guest Timehealsall

ah ic.

One more question, its kind of random but do you think its possible that some products can permanently enlarge/scar pores?

Like jojoba oil, since it mimics our skins sebum, cant it trick the pores to enlarge or shrink?

ah ic.

One more question, its kind of random but do you think its possible that some products can permanently enlarge/scar pores?

Like jojoba oil, since it mimics our skins sebum, cant it trick the pores to enlarge or shrink?

I really dont think so, it mimics it, but its not exactly the same.

I'm sure someone else has made a post about this, but i don't really see that many people talking about it.

Some people do the jojoba oil exfoliation method, some apply it after cleansing, and most use it in their moisturizer, or they do all three, and it usually helps reduce/completely eliminate flakes, but if you're still having trouble you could try what i do.

I cleanse, let it dry completely (10-15 minutes) apply a generous amount of oil (in my case, olive, but jojoba is probably better, and most of you already have it on hand) and massage until all the flakes are free, and the skin underneath is smooth as possible, then i gently wipe off the flakes with my fingers (you can use a towel, flannel, soft old tshirt, toilet paper squares (which work really well as blotting paper) and apply BP, Moisturize, and just blot off the excess oil later if it bothers you.

It works REALLY well, at least for me, combined with a drop of oil in my moisturizer, so if you guys are still really flaky after trying everything, you could give this a go.

(Might be potentially irritating, so be careful if you have really sensitive skin)

SocialAnxiety- Does applying oil and doing the massage prior to applying the BP make it less effective? Or does your skin still absorb the BP? I may start to apply oil prior to the BP to lessen the effects of the dryness... ???

SocialAnxiety- Does applying oil and doing the massage prior to applying the BP make it less effective? Or does your skin still absorb the BP? I may start to apply oil prior to the BP to lessen the effects of the dryness... ???

Some say it actually makes it work BETTER, Since most oils like olive and jojoba are carrier oils, meaning they help things like BP to penetrate deeper into the pores.

It still absorbs all the BP, but sometimes you get a layer of oil left, go figure.

Guest Timehealsall

i swear the amount of dead skin i get is ridiculous! I am so afraid for some reason. I mean, i applied BP to my nose a few weeks ago, and after using it for 2 days, there was literally massive dead skin. I mean, the amount of skin im shedding is RIDICULOUS. should i maybe get this checked out from a dermatologist?

i swear the amount of dead skin i get is ridiculous! I am so afraid for some reason. I mean, i applied BP to my nose a few weeks ago, and after using it for 2 days, there was literally massive dead skin. I mean, the amount of skin im shedding is RIDICULOUS. should i maybe get this checked out from a dermatologist?

I personally don't think so, since its a known side effect and doesn't mean your skins reacting badly, its just dead skin.

Seriously, if it bothers you that much then just exfoliate it all off with jojoba oil, if you do it gently enough it wont cause a breakout or anything, it'll just get the skin off, just be sure to do it consistantly and with lots of oil.

Guest Timehealsall

yea, but some of the dead skin doesnt come off unless you use a little bit of force. Its like you can clearly see the dead skin, but you have to sorta rub it off..

Guest Timehealsall

also i am kinda afraid to do this now because i was exofliating my nose with jojoba oil last night, and the dead skin was covering this one pimple, and i went over it with my fingers and the head came off. I hope it doesnt scar.

I have been applying neosporin cream to it for a day so far. Is this a good idea?

There was no bleeding at a ll, just a little bit of a red spot.

also i am kinda afraid to do this now because i was exofliating my nose with jojoba oil last night, and the dead skin was covering this one pimple, and i went over it with my fingers and the head came off. I hope it doesnt scar.

I have been applying neosporin cream to it for a day so far. Is this a good idea?

There was no bleeding at a ll, just a little bit of a red spot.

Its fine, its not like you dug the head out with your nails.

also, i only apply neosporin once to help it scab over and heal faster.

And if the flaking is really that bad, the only way to really help it other than waiting it out is to try to use a little pressure, get all the flakes off, and keep them off.

at least in my experience, AHA seems to help really well too.

Guest Timehealsall

hey socialanxiety, which neosporin do you use, cream or ointment?

Also, have you ever used pressure on your nose to get the flakes off, and accidently took the head off a zit?

Did the zit hurt? I mean when i did this i didnt see any bleeding, just a little redness,

Also, have you ever used pressure on your nose to get the flakes off, and accidently took the head off a zit?

Did the zit hurt? I mean when i did this i didnt see any bleeding, just a little redness,

ointment, most say to use the cream since its less comedogenic.

I don't get zits on my nose, ever, but i have accidently took a head off a zit, but its usually already scabbed up and peeling off so it doesn't bleed, its just a little pink spot and it heals in a day.

Didn't hurt, the only thing that hurts is massaging over a sore zit or a clog thats half way out, those hurt pretty bad for some reason.

Guest Timehealsall

ointment, most say to use the cream since its less comedogenic.

I don't get zits on my nose, ever, but i have accidently took a head off a zit, but its usually already scabbed up and peeling off so it doesn't bleed, its just a little pink spot and it heals in a day.

Didn't hurt, the only thing that hurts is massaging over a sore zit or a clog thats half way out, those hurt pretty bad for some reason.

yeah clogs, especially on my nose hurt. I hate it when its half way out !