Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Winnie4

Haven't started yet but....

I went to the derm yesterday and after trying a lot of different medications, I have decided to try Accutane.

I am a 22 year old female, so yesterday I registered for the iPLEDGE system. My doctor explained the process, and really, really, really explained the potential side effects, so I sort of know what to expect, but I still have some questions that maybe ya'll can help answer.

Blood tests- She explained that i would need to have monthly blood tests, but I don't think she said when exactly during the month I would need to have these done. Is it at the beginning of every month when I have to take the pregnancy test? Or the end of the month and then we see if I can continue the next month ?

Pregnancy tests- she did an initial urine test in her office, so will I be taking these every month in her office when I go in for a new prescription? Or does this have to be in done in a lab? If so, is it combined with the blood tests?

Cortisone injections- Can I have these done during my treatment?

Obviously I will ask her these questions when I go in next month, but I didn't want to make another appointment just to ask her these questions right now.

Even with my insurance, my copay is $60. And I still need to figure out if/how much my insurance will cover for the actual medication. Either way, I still am definitely going to try it out, I have suffered for 11 years and tried everything else, so I am pretty desperate right now !

Also, right now I am taking Solodyn until I go in next month, should this help the IB not be so terrible?

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive experience!!

Hi :)

i'm in the process of waiting to go on accutane, too (i'll be starting in about 2.5 weeks). my doctor just said to have the pregnancy test and blood tests done at the same time, together, every month. i'm not sure if that's how everyone does it, but that's what i'm going to be doing, i guess. ha. i have read of people getting cortisone injections if need be.

good luck to you!

i'm in the process of waiting to go on accutane, too (i'll be starting in about 2.5 weeks). my doctor just said to have the pregnancy test and blood tests done at the same time, together, every month. i'm not sure if that's how everyone does it, but that's what i'm going to be doing, i guess. ha. i have read of people getting cortisone injections if need be.

good luck to you!

I hope your right about the injections, because I will go crazy if I have a huge cyst that I just have to live with!! Good luck to you too!

oh yeah, did he tell you when during the month you have the blood tests? At the end of every month? Did you have to have one before you started?? Thanks!

Edited by Winnie4

supposedly being on antibiotics prior to accutane helps reduce the chance of IB. but also supposedly IBs only happen to a small percentage of people even tho it seems to be rampant on these forums. for the bloodtest i had mine before going in and i had my second one at the 3 week mark so i could refill it before i ran out.

I had a pretty bad IB where i started getting like 5 whiteheads around my lip area every single day for 4 days straight. it probably would have continued but i saw my dermatologist and she put me on 20mg prednisone for a week. it was the most amazing acne experience of my life as every single pimple just died away from the day i took it. so if u do break out hardcore ask your dermatologist about prednisone.

one tip if ur starting accutane is to prepare for it ahead of time. that is use aquaphor from day 1 even if ur lips are fine and to super moisturize from day 1 as well. itll hit hard and itll hit fast trust me (3 weeks in so i still recall my early acctuane experiences vividly)

Edited by bobbyholb

supposedly being on antibiotics prior to accutane helps reduce the chance of IB. but also supposedly IBs only happen to a small percentage of people even tho it seems to be rampant on these forums. for the bloodtest i had mine before going in and i had my second one at the 3 week mark so i could refill it before i ran out.

I had a pretty bad IB where i started getting like 5 whiteheads around my lip area every single day for 4 days straight. it probably would have continued but i saw my dermatologist and she put me on 20mg prednisone for a week. it was the most amazing acne experience of my life as every single pimple just died away from the day i took it. so if u do break out hardcore ask your dermatologist about prednisone.

one tip if ur starting accutane is to prepare for it ahead of time. that is use aquaphor from day 1 even if ur lips are fine and to super moisturize from day 1 as well. itll hit hard and itll hit fast trust me (3 weeks in so i still recall my early acctuane experiences vividly)

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to stock up on the necessary 'supplies' !! And I will keep prednisone in mind incase it gets that terrible!!

good luck to you!

I hope your right about the injections, because I will go crazy if I have a huge cyst that I just have to live with!! Good luck to you too!

oh yeah, did he tell you when during the month you have the blood tests? At the end of every month? Did you have to have one before you started?? Thanks!

^^ well, i did my first pg test right there in their office...and then they said to go get my next one in 30 days, along w/ my first blood work. and provided that is all clear, then i can start. so, no, i havent had any blood tests yet, but, yes, i will before i start. i hope that makes sense. ha.

thanks for the good luck. :) i can't wait until i have managable skin again....hopefully.