Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ilovemyducks

Accutane Log (Claravis 40mg, 15 y/o, Male)

Hey what's up,

(If you don't wanna read all this, and that's chill it's quite a bit haha, just skip to the about me for a wayyy quicker overview...)

So I've been suffering from acne for about 3 years now, but in the past it has been pretty mild. Ever since it has started I began washing my face every morning and showering every night, as I did before, but now paying more attention to exfoliating and using special antibacterial soap and stuff. But nothing really changed, slowly slowly getting worse. About a year ago there started to be a pretty decent amount, but for the most part only on my face. At that point I started using more than just over the counter acne products like BP and those acne drying pads. My doctor gave me a prescription for Retin-A micro .04%. That worked well enough for a little while but a few months later I was starting to get pretty pissed of at my skin was only getting worse even though I was doing all the right stuff like changing pillow cases, eating even healthier then I already did, and drinking lots of water. So my mom took me to a dermatologist and he bumped me up to .1% Retin-A. That worked decently but it made my skin so raw that I could never use it more than a few times a week. I also started taking 100mg minocycline pills once a day for the cystic acne I was now getting. That regimen lasted for a while, only change was that my cystic acne started to get bad again and I got bumped up to two minocycline pills a day. That worked great for my cystic acne. I only had like one cyst a month. But all the rest of the acne was getting worse on my face. Around the middle of June acne started popping up on my back and chest, but it was hardly any, just a few here and there. In August it started to get worse. I would have about 10 - 15 pimples on my chest, about 10 more on each shoulder, and another 10 on the rest of my back. I was realllllly self conscious about this because I was hitting the beach once or twice every day. I really had no idea that this was nothing compared to what would happen. In September acne spread to my forehead, which for some reason it had never really been on even though it was pretty bad on the sides of my face, jaw, chin, and nose. I also started to get it on my neck. My back and chest acne only got worse from this point. I started to get cystic acne on my shoulders, many many more pimples on the rest of my back, and small but puss-filled pimples on my chest. I scheduled an appointment at the derm again in early-mid October and my derm had to leave for some emergency, but while I was there I figured I might as well see one of the others that worked there. She read my record and saw all the things I had tried and talked to me about how my acne had been progressing in the last few months. She looked at my face for a while then my chest and back. She talked to me about Accutane and then set me up with the iPledge program. I was pretty stoked she went to this option. I had done a lot of research about it and was hoping she would. Anyways my parents and I talked about it and I they agreed it was ok :D. I had my blood work and all that done. There was a little stall in this process because I had been getting progressively worse joint pain since late July and my doctor couldn't really figure out was wrong. He decided to make sure I didn't have any crazy bad diseases like lupus or mono before we pursued it more. I basically solved it myself because I stopped taking my minocycline since I knew I was gonna be on Accutane soon. Within a week my joint pain was 90% gone. Made me pretttyyy damn happy. Haha anyways my blood tests showed all sings go and I was so psyched my mom drove me to Rite-Aid right after I got home from school and I got my Claravis 40mg pills. I didn't take them that night cause I was going to a party at my friends and I knew I'd be up really late and I'd be having a shiiiiiitload of taurine and I didn't want to have any weird effects from that. Anyways, I just took my first pill a little while ago and decided to go ahead and start an Accutane log. I think that's about all I've got for now. I guess that was quite a bit actually.. haha. I'll probably be updating this pretty regularly. Make sure to follow my log and post your tips and input! ;)

Alright I just spent like 25 mins writing that, I'm out, peace.

P.S. I'll post some pictures later. I also just read through my post which turned out to be way more than I thought it would be. Sorry lol. I also realized I somehow forgot to mention that I've had stretch marks for a little over a year probably. They've faded pretty well though and at this point are still definitely noticeable, but aren't too bad. Alright, that's really it. Later.

About Me: 15 year old male, 5 ft 10 in, 132 lbs, blonde hair and blue eyes. Very oily skin, especially on and around nose, forehead, and chin. Frosh in highschool. More than ready to say goodbye to acne. Prescribed Claravis 40mg a day. Started November 6th.

Current Status, 11/6/10:

Forehead: Some blackheads mainly in t-zone, 5-6 small actives, 2 medium cysts, 1 huge cyst

Left Temple: 3 small actives, 2 medium cysts

Right Temple: 5-6 small/medium actives

Rosacea (Cheeks) : Eh. Red, blotchcy, rough

Chin: 2 small actives, a bunch of blackheads

Upper Lip: 2 very small actives right above lip

Nose: 2 actives, but surrounding area has some bumps, TONS of blackheads on nose and for almost an inch out on either side and going all the way down to below my nose but above my mouth

Chest: 20-30 small pimples - a couple that have come a small head

Back: Bad. Just bad. lots of cystic, lots of nodular, some gross puss filled ones... just bad.

KP: Left Arm - Moderate on side and back; Right Arm - Mild on side, Moderate on back

Small Note: Most posts are not going to be anywhere near this in-depth. I'm just figuring that this is the most important post to be detailed on.

Edited by ilovemyducks

Day One:

Heyy. I don't really know why I'm updating this other than I can't stop thinking about how my accutane treatment is gonna go, and this is one way to do something with those thoughts. I wont write as much as day zero though.

Lets see.. all I really have to report is my current acne status. I got a few nasty pus filled zits on my forehead. I popped them before I showered using a needle and being extra careful but it seemed like they bled a lot. no big scabs though since I did it before a shower. My face seems a little worse but I doubt anything related to the 'tane. My back seems slightly better and chest the same. On the symptoms side I swear my lips feel more dry but I'm probably just imagining it because of all I've read about dry lips and accutane.

That's about it. Oh by the way, I tried out Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion For Dry, Sensitive Skin and it works great. It's loads less greasy then any other facial moisturizer or lotion I've ever put on my face before. It's still a little greasy after 4-5 hours so I wont be using it before school just yet, but my skin also isn't dried out yet so it'll probably be soaking the stuff up in a few weeks.

Mmmkay that's it for today. Later.

Edited by ilovemyducks

Day Two:

Nothing big to report today on the acne front. I have a lot of cysts on my face right now probably like 7 :(. Mostly on my temple and forehead. Also it seemed like my face was extra oily today. I don't know why. Maybe because i put on a bunch of lotion last night as I'll be doing every night to dry and avoid to dry of skin. My bacne is itchy. Mom says its because the acne on it is already drying out and so it's itchy. Oh my lips feel very slightly dry.

On another note I broke up with my girlfriend today. Kinda of a hard break up. Mainly for her.. but me too haha. It's all good tho.

Alright that's it. Peace.

Day Two:

Nothing big to report today on the acne front. I have a lot of cysts on my face right now probably like 7 :(. Mostly on my temple and forehead. Also it seemed like my face was extra oily today. I don't know why. Maybe because i put on a bunch of lotion last night as I'll be doing every night to dry and avoid to dry of skin. My bacne is itchy. Mom says its because the acne on it is already drying out and so it's itchy. Oh my lips feel very slightly dry.

On another note I broke up with my girlfriend today. Kinda of a hard break up. Mainly for her.. but me too haha. It's all good tho.

Alright that's it. Peace.

good luck with your course

you'll have clear skin soon!

j x

Day Eight:

Alright so I'm definitely starting to get some side effects now. Most of them are just showing me that the accutane is working though, so I'm happy to take them on. My lips are dryer and are chapped/peeling some. Nothing too painful but I'm glad I have chapstick for when I'm out and Blistex medicated stuff for when I'm at home. My face seems a little redder/flushes easier. I do have rosacea though so who knows. The skin on my face is more sensitive and it is peeling out around where i have pimples now. The flakiness and everything with that is pretty annoying but I know that's what's supposed to be happening and it makes the pimples and red marks go away faster so it's all good. I haven't been putting on moisturizer at night because I figure the 'tane is SUPPOSED to make my skin peel and stuff and that's what gets rid of the acne so I've been letting it do it's thing. In the day i do usually put on moisturizer though to hide the flaking skin and so my skin doesn't feel so tight.

My chest broke out pretty badly around day 6. It cleared some day 7 and is even clearer today. I'm hoping that was my IB and that I'm already starting to get over it. Also, my back broke out INSANELY bad during the same time period. I literally had probably 90+ pimples on my back it was ridiculous. Only one or two had a head though, the rest were just raised red bumps. I can feel how dry my upper back where the pimples are when I touch it, but I've been able to not itch it so that's good.

Haven't noticed any effect on my lower-back stretch marks. My rosacea seems to be a little more even and not blotchy, it also seems to have gotten a little bit bigger, covering more of my cheeks and close to my nose. The skin on my face is definitely smoother though and that's pretty cool. I had some bumps on my cheeks that my derm said is because I actually have "keratosis pilaris rubra facei" or something like that haha. Anyway those bumps have almost completely smoothed out.

OTHER SIDE EFFECTS:

I haven't noticed any changes in mood or energy levels. I feel as good as I normally do in fall when it gets cold, rainy, and there's hardly any sun.... but it's all good I've been playing a pretty decent ammount Call of Duty Black Ops with my friends haha. One other side effect though, I've been having some lower back pain. It's a kind of dull achy throb when I've been laying down and I bend my back there to get up, or things like that when I use it after having not for a while. It's worse in the morning than later in the day. Hope it doesn't get any worse and doesn't prompt my derm to take me off...

Okay that's about all I have to update. I promise I'll get on uploading pictures at some point. Cya.

Current Status, 11/14/10:

Forehead: Blackheads in t-zone pretty much gone, 5-6 small actives, 1 medium cyst

Left Temple: 1 small active

Right Temple: 1-2 small actives, 1 medium cyst

Rosacea (Cheeks) : Smoother, less blotchy

Chin: 3 small actives, blackheads pretty much he same

Upper Lip: 2 very small actives, one medium

Nose: 3 small actives, surrounding bumps have shrunk, blackheads still 90% there (so a LOT) and they seem to be kind of more prominent like they're more pitted; there are small white circles around the ones on the side of my nose

Chest: 30-40 small raised red bumps, skin is dry and peeling slightly

Back: ~60 small red bumps, couple to a small head, skin is dry/peeling some and somewhat itchy

KP: Left Arm - Moderate on side and back, a little more red; Right Arm - Very mild on side, Moderate on back

Edited by ilovemyducks

Hey man,

good luck with the course. it may seem like 6-8 months will take forever, but honestly, it goes by quickly. I could've sworn I took my first pill yesterday, yet I'm a little over 2 months in to my course. I'm taking accutane to treat my body acne mainly, and I have pictures posted on my log. You can check them out if you'd like. Again, I'm more than 2 months in, but I haven't seen much improvement on my chest/back/neck yet. So don't get discouraged. It takes time and patience. Anyway, just wanted to stop by and give you some support. Trust me, of all people, I know how much of a pain in the ass acne can be. Just stick with accutane, and hopefully it'll do wonders for you.

On a side note, when are you going to post those pictures? The way you described your body acne seems sort of similar to mine (small puss-filled acne on chest/more nodular and cystic acne on my back). It would be interesting to see if we were dealing with similar body acne.