Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jenn_Pettigrew

Rubber band method to discourage skin picking?

Hi guys :) sooo being a skin picker ( I don't consider it as bad as it could be... however, I do believe it is hindering me from being fully clear) and the nerd I am, I ran to google to learn about ways to help control skin picking and came across something I thought sounded promising. This man actually did it for nail biting, but I'm guessing it could be applied to skin picking as well. This person said to wear a rubber band around your wrist, and every time you think about the habit to pull it back and give it a good snap. He said you might pick right after anyway, but after a while, your subconscious starts thinking about it less because of the negative reaction (pain) even if you don't really realize that its working....

I think it sounds promising, I"m gonna test it out. Because I need to stop before I get any more scars. Like now. Anybody else heard of this or willin to give it a try with me? :D

A few techniques I've used myself and suggested to others:

Putting a rubber band or some elastic around the wrist and when noticing the absent-minded picking, give yourself a snap with the elastic. Lightly of course. :)

Taking a photo of oneself immediately after an injurious skin-picking session and posting it on your mirror or other place where one picks the most.

Telling yourself firmly, "STOP!" when you notice the behavior. Get up, walk around a bit to help release some anxiety, then go back to the previous activity.

Set a timer for 10-15 minute intervals and set it near where you absentmindedly pick. Each time it goes off, make note of whether you're picking, touching or otherwise messing with the skin. You can keep a journal, too, and keep track of how you feel each time. Each time you find yourself not picking, reward yourself.

Those above are some of the things I've suggested over the years.

And a link to Dan's chill out program: http://www.acne.org/stop-skin-picking.html

ive tried it before but i never really kept it up. id be willing to try it out with you. it does sound like it could help. maybe ill actually keep it up this time!

great great! support always helps :)

For me, personally, keeping the nails longer also helps. That's because the pads of the fingers can't feel the skin surface and don't get tempted to pick at a felt but not seen blemish. :) For you, it may be shorter nails work.

ive tried it before but i never really kept it up. id be willing to try it out with you. it does sound like it could help. maybe ill actually keep it up this time!

great great! support always helps :)

i'll keep you updated :)

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

well good luck to ya all ofc but this didnt work for me, because i just ended up with snaping myself all the time and pick anywayz, and even if it would work as with everything else sooner or later it will wear off and become old, so i think what can end picking forever is either iron determination and ability to force urself to not to no matter what either develop somekind of replacement habit that would automatically turn on itself in at those "picking urge times" in place of picking (but idk if its possible) either the best option imo..to loose that fucken acne once for all so that theres just nothing to pick anymore >_>

that rubber band thing SO works. i think i snapped it a little too hard. am now afraid to idly touch my skin again while watching svu. >.<

also, might i recommend casual nail filing of the typical picking fingers. mine are such stubs, i wouldn't succeed in picking if i tried and usually give up after a few minutes. ;)

hey there, im also starting over,, was 2weeks without picking and my skin looked great,, but i messed it up this weekend, so i'll be happy to start over with you. I'll be wearing a rubber band from tomorrow. i'll update tomorrow and tell you how day1 went, goodluck =)

Hi guys :) sooo being a skin picker ( I don't consider it as bad as it could be... however, I do believe it is hindering me from being fully clear) and the nerd I am, I ran to google to learn about ways to help control skin picking and came across something I thought sounded promising. This man actually did it for nail biting, but I'm guessing it could be applied to skin picking as well. This person said to wear a rubber band around your wrist, and every time you think about the habit to pull it back and give it a good snap. He said you might pick right after anyway, but after a while, your subconscious starts thinking about it less because of the negative reaction (pain) even if you don't really realize that its working....

I think it sounds promising, I"m gonna test it out. Because I need to stop before I get any more scars. Like now. Anybody else heard of this or willin to give it a try with me? :D

Edited by ivanna