Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reamer1zarlasht

Restylane for Indented Scars did Not Work

Hi everyone,

I had 3 indented scars (that flatten well upon stretching) injected with restylane by a doctor yesterday. They are exactly the same now minus the pain, swelling, and some lumpiness. He injected a full small syringe into all 3. It took him a long time and I believe he did inject quite a bit in them. A year ago, he had injected Silikon 1000 , a permanent filler, twice with a 6 month waiting time but again with absolutely no results. I blamed it on the Silikon 1000 itself and that maybe my skin wouldn't react to it instead of the doctor and wanted to try the restylane as it was sure to raise them. But to my shock, they still are EXACTLY the same thing which leads me to blame the doctor and his injection technique. Am I right in doing this? I am really angry now as he just pocketed my money without me seeing any results and he and his staff were extremely rude. Now, I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how this could be possible and what could have possibly gone wrong???? Anything will help as I feel very awful. Thanks

Go to a different doctor but you should have saw some improvements. Maybe your scars are to indented and surgical or laser resurfacing is your best option. Also, those kind of injection never stay local...they spread out.

Edited by bameano

Go to a different doctor but you should have saw some improvements. Maybe your scars are to indented and surgical or laser resurfacing is your best option. Also, those kind of injection never stay local...they spread out.

Hi,

They actually are not very deep; they are just crater-type pockmarks.

I tried laser resurfacing too actually with a different doctor and it didn't do anything despite the pain, huge downtime, etc. I don't want to go the surgical route as that will leave me with other scars but in idfferent forms (lines).

I read everywhere that restylane (collagen) injections raise indented scars. So how come they did not raise mine? Is it because he injects the wrong way (too deep maybe) ?

Not sure since I'm not a doctor but I heard of bad things when injected to shallow. I had injected my scars like yours but can't recall what it was called (not the ones you listed) and have improvements but the color skin tone was a little different from injections.

Found what it was, Evolence, though it was nice, it was expensive and looking for something more permanent. What kind of laser did you had done?

Edited by bameano

Not sure since I'm not a doctor but I heard of bad things when injected to shallow. I had injected my scars like yours but can't recall what it was called (not the ones you listed) and have improvements but the color skin tone was a little different from injections.

Found what it was, Evolence, though it was nice, it was expensive and looking for something more permanent. What kind of laser did you had done?

It was a Pixel laser, which is nearly identical to Fraxel.

It was a Pixel laser, which is nearly identical to Fraxel.

I'm planning to have a scar revision and a week after sciton erbium laser (lines) less noticable. doc said best time to do scar is while they're fresh is why the week after

Hi everyone,

I had 3 indented scars (that flatten well upon stretching) injected with restylane by a doctor yesterday. They are exactly the same now minus the pain, swelling, and some lumpiness. He injected a full small syringe into all 3. It took him a long time and I believe he did inject quite a bit in them. A year ago, he had injected Silikon 1000 , a permanent filler, twice with a 6 month waiting time but again with absolutely no results. I blamed it on the Silikon 1000 itself and that maybe my skin wouldn't react to it instead of the doctor and wanted to try the restylane as it was sure to raise them. But to my shock, they still are EXACTLY the same thing which leads me to blame the doctor and his injection technique. Am I right in doing this? I am really angry now as he just pocketed my money without me seeing any results and he and his staff were extremely rude. Now, I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how this could be possible and what could have possibly gone wrong???? Anything will help as I feel very awful. Thanks

fillers only work on rolling scars and if the scars have been subcised first. secondly, the subcision if mixed with vaccuming for a week or two should raise the scar substancally (reducing the scar and the amount of filler needed - if you are willing to get the fillers a few weeks later).

im taking it neither was done and this might be the reason for your poor result. if you do the above in future, you should have a better result.

Agree with gimme. Most likely the adhesions were too firm. Subcision is needed, combined with a filler, in those cases.

Thanks for the answers. I actually asked him to do a subsicion and he said he won't because that's only for deeper scars. I thought that was weird because I would think subcision would work well on them because I read a few posts here of someone who had similar pockmarks to mine and was successful with subsicion plus restylane.

On another note. will the lumps and hardness ever go away? I really hope so.

Gimme- are you saying that if my scars are not "rolling" but are pockmarks fillers won't work?

Thanks for the answers. I actually asked him to do a subsicion and he said he won't because that's only for deeper scars. I thought that was weird because I would think subcision would work well on them because I read a few posts here of someone who had similar pockmarks to mine and was successful with subsicion plus restylane.

Gimme- are you saying that if my scars are not "rolling" but are pockmarks fillers won't work?

if they used a temporary filler, theres no doubt they will disappear in time. from what ive read, the more you move the area, the faster it will be reabsorbed, so if you arent happy with the results - try rubbing the area over a period of a few months.

as for the types of scars you have, you havent given us any indication as to what scars you have. subcision and fillers only work for rolling scars. if they did this on any other type of scar, you will see less than desirable results and im sorry this was not explained to you.

when you say pock marks, im led to believe you have either ice pick scars or boxcar scars. if thats the case then tca cross, excisions with the double stitch closure or punch elevations are probably better for you. obviously if you have a lot of scars, then tca cross is probably better, if you have only a few, then go for the simple excisions.

if they used a temporary filler, theres no doubt they will disappear in time. from what ive read, the more you move the area, the faster it will be reabsorbed, so if you arent happy with the results - try rubbing the area over a period of a few months.

as for the types of scars you have, you havent given us any indication as to what scars you have. subcision and fillers only work for rolling scars. if they did this on any other type of scar, you will see less than desirable results and im sorry this was not explained to you.

when you say pock marks, im led to believe you have either ice pick scars or boxcar scars. if thats the case then tca cross, excisions with the double stitch closure or punch elevations are probably better for you. obviously if you have a lot of scars, then tca cross is probably better, if you have only a few, then go for the simple excisions.

No, they are not icepick scars. I am not sure what boxcar scars are. My scars are just basically l indented craters. One is a chicken pox scar, another is from a wart removal, and another from a bad facial where the lady irresponisbly popped pimples. There are a few others she caused too but they are more superficial. If I do an excision or punch elevation, will I be left with new scars? Can you please explain how those work.

Thanks so much!

You sound like me, I had silicone injected twice... at first seemed good, then no result... also had fillers and no results. I had one doctor say he thought my scars should respond, but not sure why. If you find something that works let me know. I kind of think my body just deals with inflammation differently than most, it could be we are just the exception to the rule when it comes to fillers. I actually think restylane and perlane caused more acne for me in the spots injected.

Hi, Im not an expert on fillers by any means, but if you see my post (think you can find it by going on my profile) you will see I had Surgiderm injected two days ago. The pics I have on the post are pretty nasty due to inflamation /swelling, but on day three the swelling has subsided a lot. This means I can see the couple of scars the doctor either missed or didn't quite fill enough, and also the ones that are filled. I have bumps where she injected the filler. The reason for this is when injecting the filler my doctor said your injecting closer to the skins surface than for say deep wrinkles (all depends on the scar of course and how deep it is) so sometimes you get a little bump. but she likes to overfill a little so when he swelling goes down you aren't left with indents still.

My scars sound similar to your and I have pictures on my previous post if you want to compare. My scars also disappeared when I stretch the skin.

From what I've read problems with the filler not working usually come from injecting too deeply. If you have pics it would be very interesting to see what you're talking about, sometimes an objective eye is he best.

Im so sorry you didn't have more luck with the fillers. I hadn't heard of surgiderm til my doctor was about to inject it, but if you google it, perhaps if they use it in your country it might an option. It comes in different consistances and so on so you use the right one for the right treatment.

Its early days for me but Im happy so far. I had been told ot have Fraxel by various docs, but I didnt want a laser I'd read so much bad publicity on, and one where the long term effects have been questioned. Also with my job its impossible for me to avoid the sun completely.

Hi everyone,

Hey I had a very deep scar injected with restylane by a top plastic surgeon, and it didn't work for me either. I would not put the blame upon the doctor, as many have tried this technique without proven results.