Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nebraskagirl

let's do this thing

:wavey: This is my first post so I guess I should say hi.

As I said in the title, I'm a 29-year-old female who is starting acne treatment for the first time. My skin has been basically the same since I was 12 or 13 years old-- probably a 3 or 4 on a severity scale from 1 to 10. Not crippling, but definitely self-esteem weakening. I'd always used over-the-counter "acne fighting" creams and washes, but had never received significant improvement. I was at a dermatologist for another reason early this week, and decided to make another appointment to see if he couldn't recommend a treatment protocol for my acne. I'd really like to stop breaking out; it's not fair that I'm getting both grey hairs and zits! :rolleyes:

After looking at my skin for about fifteen seconds, the derm started to explain a treatment plan. He was a cool guy, I'd wager not much older than me, and sympathetic. He said that I'm not the only woman my age who struggles with acne, and that I shouldn't feel bad about it because it's not my fault. He recommended benzoyl peroxide 5% wash once a day, clindamycin cream in the morning, differin 0.1% cream before bed.

I'm kind of intimidated by using this many products, and hope that I won't have to use them indefinitely, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'd like to also tell y'all that I'm so glad to have decent insurance-- the meds would have cost over $250 cash price, but I got them for $9 worth of copays.

I started last night and am optimistic (perhaps because I haven't had that rebound breakout yet). Let's hope this works. :)

Edited by nebraskagirl

I am a person who fully believes that knowledge is power. I love to read up on anything and everything, and I'm eternally curious. When I'm prescribed a new med (or three) I always go online, read the prescribing info, and other people's experiences with it.

Reading about other people's experiences with the meds I've just started has not been helpful. People's experiences are so varied that the basic take-home message I gleaned from reading has been that I can't predict what's going to happen, either stuff will work for me or it won't.

I find myself asking questions that I don't think are serious enough to call the dermatologist and whine about....

Can I wash with a regular cleanser before using the benzoyl peroxide wash? My skin felt hella greasy when I just used the BP wash, so I've been using a gentle cleanser beforehand, and hope this won't either inactivate the BP wash or make my skin fall off.

I assume that Biore Pore Strips are now off limits? Those things are horribly appealing-- instant results, visible blackhead removal!-- but I think that anything that gets ripped off the skin is a bad idea right now.

What is a good moisturizer that doesn't cost $10930983? I normally have oily skin so don't often think about moisturizing, but winter is coming and I live in a cold climate. The combination of drying meds and cold winds might be horrible.

Is it possible that my skin looks and feels a little bit better, even three days in? If anything, that would be benzoyl peroxide, I'm sure, but I swear things look a little better.

Will the combination of clindamycin and differin help me avoid the initial breakout?

I'm also doing my best to avoid resting my hands on my face or picking my zits. :naughty: I know those are bad habits, but they're hard to break!

Edited by nebraskagirl

One week into this regimen....

I think I have fewer little bumps on my forehead, but I could be wrong. There's a gigantic painful zit on my cheek, and it makes me sad. :( I am mostly resisting the urge to pick and squeeze at it, as well as the other random zits.

But I am happy that I have tolerated all of these new medications well. I normally have somewhat sensitive skin-- though I rarely have allergic reactions, I expected a lot of peeling and irritation, or at least dry skin. Glad that hasn't happened. :D

Edited by nebraskagirl

Gigantic painful zit = gone within two days. :o

Just to see if it would help, I dabbed the Differin directly on it while applying it generally to my face. The giant zit is no more after two days. Whatever's in there WORKS. That kind of zit would generally last a week or so. I am impressed.

Two weeks in and my skin is unhappy. :( It's dry and raw in ways it has never been before. I think that I have somewhat fewer zits, but the pain of the chapped dry skin almost makes me not care.

The other night, I went to swim laps, and rode my bike both directions. It was 35 degrees F outside, and biking felt fine while I was doing it. However, before bed that night, I did the BP wash and it burned like the dickens. :cry: I assume that was due to the drying, chapping effect of the cold air and the swimming pool chlorine, but it was horrible. The burning hasn't happened since, but my skin has been hella dry. I have obtaiined moisturizer, which has helped somewhat, but there are ugly dry spots on my chin and jawline. Also, there's a raw red spot on my jawline/neck. Feeling my wool coat against that was horrible. :cry:

But I'm soldiering on and hoping to see improvements! I am irritated, but still optimistic.

Edited by nebraskagirl

Eight weeks in today!

I have noticed a significant improvement in my complexion, especially along my jawline. My jawline and chin used to be the home of many nasty, painful zits, but it has been almost entirely clear for several weeks. I rarely have the huge, angry zits anymore,

I had one day last week when I felt discouraged because I felt like my skin looked like shit, but that was just after getting out of the pool and showering with hot water. :confused: I still have lots of little imperfections, and my pores are still huge, but the huge pores are no longer full of dirt and junk, which I think is a huge improvement.

I see the derm in four more weeks, and I hope there will be even more improvements in the meantime. I am pretty pleased with the current state of my skin, but there's still room for improvement.

Things I'm thinking about:

My complexion still looks kind of splotchy and uneven even though many of my zits have cleared up. Can I expect it to keep improving?

Is it a bad idea for me to quit using the clindamycin? It's kind of irritating that it makes my skin kind of greasy, but more than that, I'm kind of amazed that I let myself get started on it anyway. I try not to use antibiotics unless it's a serious infection, because I don't like the idea of contributing to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Also, I don't want to use 3 products for the rest of my life. Maybe I should talk to the derm about it when I see him next month.

Things I'm thinking about:

My complexion still looks kind of splotchy and uneven even though many of my zits have cleared up. Can I expect it to keep improving?

Is it a bad idea for me to quit using the clindamycin? It's kind of irritating that it makes my skin kind of greasy, but more than that, I'm kind of amazed that I let myself get started on it anyway. I try not to use antibiotics unless it's a serious infection, because I don't like the idea of contributing to antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Also, I don't want to use 3 products for the rest of my life. Maybe I should talk to the derm about it when I see him next month.

I would not stop using the clindamycin. It helps kill the acne bacteria, reduces inflammation and also helps prevent the initial acne flare that lots of people get on differin. Especially since you are not using a leave on BPO, I think the clindamycin is probably pretty important for keeping you clear right now. You can always talk to your doctor about your concerns, but I definitely would not quit using it on your own.

:wavey: Yay, thanks for weighing in! :D It's good to feel like I'm not just talking to myself in here (though it is helpful to me to keep a record of how things are going).

I think I have decided to keep doing the clindamycin at least until my next derm appointment in early February (at 12 weeks). I will talk to him about it then and make a decision from there.

Edited by nebraskagirl

Hello,

I feel like I am in the same boat as you are, except the acne problem is on my back. I usually only have a few pimples but they still bother me. I am 2 weeks in to my differin/clinamycin trail. Which is my first prescription trial ever. Before I was using a Salicylic Acid beaded wash by Proactiv, which I think was contributing to my break outs. Although Proactiv works great on my face. I am hoping to clear my back up by summer so I can spend some time on the beach (with SPF). I am not going to hide from the sun because of Differin, I still want to tan the rest of my body, I will just lay on my back and get an uneven tan lol. Please let me know how this is working for you, I am not really sure what to think right now because I'm about the same as before I started 2 weeks ago.