Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joris

Saturated fats, trans fats and other fats' effects on health

Governments, health coaches, doctors and the majority of people all agree saturated fats are bad for you (and trans also slightly). But a lot of "alternative" health sites (mostly) claim that saturated fats are healthy! On this forum a lot of people claim this to, altough there are also people who still say its bad. Im really confused about this subject.

So the traditional medicine thinks sat.- and transfats are bad for you because it shifts your cholesterol to the bad side (higher LDL)/raises your cholesterol and that omega 3 do the opposite (higer HDL). You would think that this is supported by tons and tons of evidence.

Altough there are ppl here claiming the opposite (sat fats are good for you!) besides archaeological evidence/theories what are the theories behind these. Why are they good for you? Are there studies? And why are the other studies wrong? Whats the role of omega 3 and other fats in this.

And why is omega 3 in supplementational form bad (causes cancer - according to autonominous etc) but still is good for you in normal form.

I hope some people will help me to get rid of this confusion.

saturated fats from grass fed animals are high in CLA (a trans fat) and Omega-3 - fatty acids very hard to obtain elsewhere. I'm sure you've read plenty about society's general lack of omega-3? Eating the saturated fats of ruminants would help alleviate this problem.

Generally, trans fats are bad for you - unless you are talking about the naturally occurring ones in the aforementioned ruminants. The others occur from hydrogenated oils, a process so controversial its end product is widely protested against and planned to be banned or contain a warning label similar to the one seen on cigarette packs.

read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat#Pub..._and_regulation

I was also talking trans fats in dairy, but apperantly they arent dangerous (your wiki link). (although i read about trans fats being dangerous and the dairy industry not liking that. I guess it wasnt correct)

But your saying here sat. fats are still bad right? But that when you eat the right foods you will counteract them with omega 3's and CLA's. But wouldnt it still be better if you got those things and not the saturated fats (if thats possible).

Edited by joris

Dairy would be the milk of ruminants - as long as you are not sensitive to dairy AND the cows are grass fed, it should be ok - though I can't advocate it for anyone outside of the bovine family ;)

I'm not saying saturated fats are bad, I'm saying the right ones are sources of omega-3 and CLA. I personally would not eat the ones from cows, sheep, goats, etc raised on grain and not grass. Those fats are already in your diet in adequate supply.

CLA: Dietary sources

Of all foods, kangaroo meat may have the highest concentration of CLA.[34] Food products (e.g. mutton and beef) from grass-fed ruminants are good sources of CLA, and contain much more of it than those from grain-fed animals.[35] In fact, meat and dairy products from grass-fed animals can produce 300-500% more CLA than those of cattle fed the usual diet of 50% hay and silage, and 50% grain.[36]

Eggs are also rich in CLA, and it has been shown that CLA in eggs survives the temperatures encountered during frying.[37]

Some mushrooms like Agaricus bisporus and Agaricus blazei, are rare vegetable sources of CLA.[38][39]

My take on it is as long as i keep my mono and polysaturated fats as high or higher than the saturated or trans fat then i dont worry about it. Because regardless if saturated fat is good or not, you still need to be taking in the known good fats and if saturated fat is also one of the known good fats then you will be doing even better than before.

Governments, health coaches, doctors and the majority of people all agree saturated fats are bad for you (and trans also slightly). But a lot of "alternative" health sites (mostly) claim that saturated fats are healthy! On this forum a lot of people claim this to, altough there are also people who still say its bad. Im really confused about this subject.

So the traditional medicine thinks sat.- and transfats are bad for you because it shifts your cholesterol to the bad side (higher LDL)/raises your cholesterol and that omega 3 do the opposite (higer HDL). You would think that this is supported by tons and tons of evidence.

Altough there are ppl here claiming the opposite (sat fats are good for you!) besides archaeological evidence/theories what are the theories behind these. Why are they good for you? Are there studies? And why are the other studies wrong? Whats the role of omega 3 and other fats in this.

And why is omega 3 in supplementational form bad (causes cancer - according to autonominous etc) but still is good for you in normal form.

since you are kind of quoting me(thanks btw) ill chime in.

im not really an expert on the subject and the details are kind of hazy now, but rancid/damaged fats are pretty bad for us. polyunsaturated is highly "unstable" or very likely to go "bad" before other fats, but getting them in uncooked foods like raw nuts or olives probably pretty safe, if they are cooked or sitting on a shelf or something like that, like in potato chips and crackers do not eat that crap its loaded with fat and been baked in an oven.

try not to cook with any oil whatsoever, if you have to cook/fry whatever, perhaps butter or coconut oil would be best, they are pretty heat stable. olive oil or other vegetable oil is not good.

coconut oil is good for you to some extent, it is similar to the fat in breast milk which you drank as an infant. lots of antibacterial properties. its contains medium chain saturated fats as opposed to longer chained saturated fats, these are also absorbed in the digestive tract with no requirements to be broken down at all, which is very interesting.

the information i obtained on omega 3's were based on most recent studies on how polyunsaturates lower natural killer cells, and your resistance to cancer.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

since you are kind of quoting me(thanks btw) ill chime in.

im not really an expert on the subject and the details are kind of hazy now, but rancid/damaged fats are pretty bad for us. polyunsaturated is highly "unstable" or very likely to go "bad" before other fats, but getting them in uncooked foods like raw nuts or olives probably pretty safe, if they are cooked or sitting on a shelf or something like that, like in potato chips and crackers do not eat that crap its loaded with fat and been baked in an oven.

try not to cook with any oil whatsoever, if you have to cook/fry whatever, perhaps butter or coconut oil would be best, they are pretty heat stable. olive oil or other vegetable oil is not good.

coconut oil is good for you to some extent, it is similar to the fat in breast milk which you drank as an infant. lots of antibacterial properties. its contains medium chain saturated fats as opposed to longer chained saturated fats, these are also absorbed in the digestive tract with no requirements to be broken down at all, which is very interesting.

the information i obtained on omega 3's were based on most recent studies on how polyunsaturates lower natural killer cells, and your resistance to cancer.

What are your thoughts on cooking with grapeseed oil?

So some fish, such as salmon, have a decent amount of polyunsaturated fats in them. So would cooking these fish damage the fats? Is all that fat just going to turn into trans fat?

So fat is ok as long as its organic. And how is that with fish? Would farmfish also be ok. Since its higher in omega 3? And isnt eating only fish also dangerous??

So some fish, such as salmon, have a decent amount of polyunsaturated fats in them. So would cooking these fish damage the fats? Is all that fat just going to turn into trans fat?

some fish contain axtanthin a red pigment carotenoid that is an antioxidant and may preserve the fat

but i havent read any studies that confirm this, it is merely theoretical reasonable in my mind at this point.

I have read in a well formed study that cooked fish has been "associated" with more types of cancers though. This is an association with no definitive conclusions as to how or why this information is true. but the damaged polyunsatured fats could be the reason.

definitly chill out on exposing fatty fish to high heat, that is a decent guideline to live by.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

farmed fish has nowhere near the amount of omega-3. I would not advise eating it. The important thing to absorb about fat is not that it's organic - rather that is formed naturally - meaning wild fish, grass fed animals - etc. Organic food is sometimes not a good source of omega-3 because it is easier and cheaper to feed organic grain than it is to maintain an organic field.

Edited by ayla

Ok thanks, I guess the cheapest way to go is organic eggs and natural fish then. Since grass fed beef is pretty expensive and hard to find.

Btw chickens' normal diet is things like corn right? So is that meat ok how its in the store (Europe btw so not that bad) or organic. And what about organic eggs. I saw 4grain eggs in the shop is this good normal or bad?? (Well bad because its not free range or anything like that but nutrition wise for the chickens and omega 3 i mean)

Also If I would just eat normal meats out of the shop but take olive oil and high omega 3 veggies like spinach. Would that kinda even it out a little??

My parents arent gonna buy at an organic shop or something like that. But they can buy nonfarm fish and maybe organic or multigrain eggs (altough prob not). I guess Ill just let them get a lot of fish.

Edited by joris