Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi folks, this is my first post and I decided to document my Restylane injections for "rolling" acne scars. I have learned a lot from viewing pics from people like...I think her name is Tamara? And another helpful pic-poster named Misty, and many others. So I thought I would give something back. Although I photoshopped my eyes out since I'm not nearly as brave ;-)

Restylane before and after pics

I had the procedure done 9 days ago and I'm very happy that I did. The really brad pits [sic] filled up nicely! He injected a bit into my laugh lines, but after the swelling went down, I only had maybe 50% improvement there. But I just did that as an afterthought, really. Restylane is supposed to last 6-12 months, and my surgeon actually did his own glabs (frown lines between eyes) 5 months ago, and they were still smooth. So I'll be happy to get 6 months from this. Hopefully a perfect filler will come around as well, or maybe I will just get a series of silicone injections someday if I can find a doc with that particular skill.

The actual injections were no biggee, really. I came in early and a woman applied somethingcaine. The doc came in later and we talked for quite a while about important topics like world peace, and how to help me get more chicks. Oh, and why I need to give him 5,000 dollars to vaporize my dermis. (Most plastic surgeons push that - I guess they don't read medical journals or acne.org messages) I told him that I wanted to focus on my cheeks and temples, and to do my nasolabial folds (those are above the waist, by the way) if he had any left over. He totally concurred, so he went to work.

He gave me a mirror and a stick to point out the worst places to inject. He also shined a bright lamp on my face, but it’s not like I needed to actually “find� the craters. What are they, WMD’s? I know where they are. Some of them actually squirted out of my skin! I asked what the heck that was, and he said it was just oozing out of my pores. I figure that each “ooze� was costing me about 20 clams. Hey, next time I have this done, I will have a use for all this clear tape I never used. Ha-Ha! Some of you will get the joke.

I could see that small needle (0.7 CC, or was it ml?) getting low fast, so I really analyzed my cheeks again. They seemed much improved, so he just used the rest on my laugh lines. He was amazed that I actually watched him doing the injections, and commented that nobody ever did that. I guess most of his filler customers were women getting wrinkles done though. *shrug* That was a pretty big shot on my left side, and after 9 days, it’s still slightly discolored.

After a few days, I noticed that a few of the scars had been overfilled, so I pressed them down using an electronic fuse dipped in rubbing alcohol. I figured they would pop back up, but it actually helped! LOL You won’t find that one in any medical books, but it worked for me. I could probably try some needling, (rather, “more� since I did a few test spots) or smoothbeam, or something else for even more improvement, but…why? I got about 70% just from this so I guess I am good, for now.

I do have red marks that are obvious in the pics that I have been trying to improve with Tazorac and 40% lactic acid, but they don’t seem to help very much. The marks just seem to be very deep, and permanent. I do use Neutrogena on the spot blemish wand to cover and dry up zits – works great! Looks pale though, unfortunately. I also sometimes use some Revlon new complexion powder to smooth out the red marks and acne, and it helps a lot. Or even regular makeup. Tip for all guys: if you match the color and don’t use too much, nobody can tell. But maybe ask your sister or a female friend for help so you don’t go to school or something looking weird, lol. Seriously, just go to a drug store with paper in hand and buy the Revlon powder that looks close to your skin. That list is things that you are getting for your grandmother, or girlfriend – get it? Also, don’t worry about what people think, because truth be told, they simply don’t care.

As far as acne, I could probably offer some advice on this as well. I guess I will do a list:

1. I shave with a Norelco Advantage using jojoba oil and tea tree oil. (The latter kills the bacteria that causes razor bumps and probably p. acnes as well)

2. I wash my back using Oxy wash. Actually I just leave it on, why wouldn't you?

3. I gently wash my face using Purpose soap. I wait a few minutes, and then use a generous amount of Dan's BP. I used to use a moisturizer or some jojoba after that, but this BP does not dry my skin like the neutrahardtospell, so I just leave out that step now =)

4. At night I use Tazorac 0.05% cream, sometimes. (Used nightly, it really peeeels) About twice a week I do a 40% lactic acid peel.

5. Neutrogena on the spot blemish wand to cover and dry up zits

I actually used to shave with Purpose soap just like Dan! Neat coincidence, really. I was reading about some product called king of shaves that uses silicone oil and that gave me the idea to use jojoba oil before putting on shaving cream and using a Mach3 turbo. It worked so well I went back to my electric. Try it! It’s like butta

Hmmm…sorry this became a novella – Maybe I should consider posting more often, but in smaller sections. finis

Oldguy, what's up.. Your scarring (or what's left of it) looks very minor and superficial. If I were you, for the sake of a more permanent solution, I'd go for a dermabrasion by the much talked about Dr. Yarborough. You could probably have close to perfect skin with only one dermabrasion. Oh, and re: silicone, the only doctor I'd recommend (skillwise) is Dr. Orentreich (David) in NYC. I've had four sessions with him, and he's very skilled at it- no overcorrection. Although I do have missgivings about his office, especially this one old, freakish nurse who overcharged me by $400 three times. I don't mind spending any amount of $ when it comes to image, but when they try to take advantage of something so sensitive, it becomes personal. Anyhow, I think you could be scar-free with dermabrasion.

-Nic

P.S. Were you ever on Accutane?

Wow, you actually went to Dr. Orentreich! That is 1 of 2 docs I have heard of that still used silicone. (http://www.cosmeticdermcenter.com is the other) remember the film Breast men? lol

Can you estimate the improvement of the injections, and did you also do dermabrasion?

I have thought about dermabrasion or laser, but the risk of further scarring and hyper and hypopigmentation is a bit scary. (Plus, if memory serves, that doc is in New Orleans, and I'm in FL) My scars are deeper than the pics show due to the flash, though. I was never on Accutane, although I tried to get it a couple of times. My derm would just not prescribe it. I'm very sorry you had bad experiences with that nurse, I had a similar problem getting contact lenses once from a disgruntled receptionist. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Regards

Dear Oldguy,

I'm in South Florida, are you? If so, can you tell me the name of the doctor who did the Restylane injections, I'm interested in that also. I've heard that the doctor's technique can make a big difference, and it sounds like you're happy with your doctor.

You are right to avoid lasers, my skin was scarred by CO2 pretty badly (which is why I'm interested in Restylane). Thank you in advance for your help.

Pete, I looked into fat, but it takes a series of injection, they have to overfill, and the fat doesn't survive for many people. Plus it's expensive. The cons just seemed to point to Restylane in my mind. There is also Perlane, which is a thicker form of hyaluronic acid, (same thing in Restylane) that will be approved by the FDA soon. I think that is supposed to last up to a couple of years. Bioalcamid is also about to be approved in the states if all goes well. The FDA did ban the use of silicone injections - I think it's only allowed for on-label use for the eyes. Can you "see" the irony? blink.gif

Hejira, I'm up north in the Central area, but I bet you could locate plenty of good docs in Miami. South Beach is where I would try first, because people are so appearance-oriented there. Don’t worry though too much about technique though, it’s temporary and a very minor procedure for a plastic surgeon. I'm sorry you were scarred by C02. You are not alone; I bet there are hundreds of thousands of others. I think that anything designed to damage the dermis is asking for trouble. By the way, Gov. Jeb Bush has declared a state of emergency for the entire state due to Hurricane Charley. He's activated the National Guard, although I thought his retarded brother already sent them all to Iraq. Heads up.

Oldguy, I haven't done dermabrasion yet as I'm currently on Accutane (second time) only because I get occasional breakouts caused by stress. But I just want my vulnerability to this wicked acne gone. I don't want it dictating what I can or cannot do. I'm in CA and went to Dr. Y. just for a consult, so if you're in FL, should be an easy drive for you. I don't think you'd have to worry about hypopigmentation as your skin looks fair and fair skinned individuals are considered the ideal candidate. I'd say stay away from lasers. I had Co2 8 years ago and didn't do squat for me. Just gave me this waxy look. Silicone injections has helped but I need to have at least 6 more sessions or so for maximum improvement. Some of the more shallow scars have already filled, but the deeper ones need max. injections for max. improvement. Since I'm now doing the Isolagen, there's really no need to have any more silicone. I'd say you can get 90% or so improvement with silicone if you got 70% with Restylane, with the added benefit of permanence.

falnhart, Yikes, 6 more sessions!? My con artist detector is going off like mad right now, as far as your doc and his prices. I guess you are going to try Isolagen while on the Accutane, and eventually go to doc Y for the dermabrasion. That's what I would do, and might do at a later date. You probably have deeper scars than mine also, and I do have massive sympathy for you. Be sure to moisturize a lot since accutane, like smoothbeam and most lasers, damages your oil glands. Have you tried the huge tube of BP btw? If you used a lot of it you shouldn't have breakouts anymore, at least the kind that is caused by bacteria. Reading what I just typed I realized how goofy that seems, since we have all tried all the over-the-counter stuff.

Tamara, Thank you more for posting yours! I should mention that it inspired me to seek out a doc to try subcision. The closest one that even did it at all was about 2 hours away, and he ended up prescribing Tazorac and kept the knives and nokors away. Hehe, either he was prudent or cowardly. I enjoyed your work btw! (browsing, after viewing subcision pics) I too am an artist, in a sense, bb_eusa_boohoo.gif and I especially appreciate unique right-brain types of creations. Ciao

I'm also considering Restylane and your posts/pics really help, thanks.

Could you tell me the total cost of your Restylane treatment?

I don't think insurance pays for it, right?

Thanks again,

Ben

747ben, It was $450 (US dollars.) They did not charge me to apply the numbing agent. (Betacaine LA) You're correct - insurance will not cover this. Maybe it would for an accident, though. (Oldguy envisions telling insurance company about the truck that ran over his face) I do have some more thoughts to share since it's been almost 2 weeks since I had it done. The temple area didn't really turn out very well since the skin is so thin there. I can also see some small whitish lumps where the pits were. I would not recommend this filler in the temples unless it was a large indentation, although, it probably is some improvement over the pits. There might be a better result with different doctors and/or types of fillers but I doubt it.

My largest pits in the cheeks turned out awesome, and I will be getting injections there indefinitely unless a longer-lasting filler comes along, and is FDA approved. My laugh lines still have a slight reddish color to them although they came out looking filled in. I joked with my doctor about filling in the 2 worst pits, and then realizing there were about 100 new ones I just noticed. It is an interesting and common phenomenon, and I definitely notice the smaller pits more now that the big ones are smoothed. So now I am going to try TCA cross for some boxcars on the sides of my face, and a laser for spider veins, and probably some medium peels, or…something. Isn’t it a shame that you can’t just go to a doctor and pay him/her to cure and fix these things? I feel a rant coming on, so I will stop typing now. wink.gif

I am having Restylane done this afternoon by a guy in South Beach. I had an IPL done by him and it got rid of all of my brown spots!

I will let you all know how it goes, and his site is http://www.apexsouthbeach.com

I really trust him and he was referred to me by a good friend.

Also, they actually tell you rpices up front! How shocking is that in this business!

barbiedoll_fl

Hi oldguy,

in your case Restylane may work good. I had Perlane injectrions two times, but most of it was resorbed few weeks later. But I know a woman who lets Restylane inject every 9 months and she is glad. By the way, Brad Pitt uses Restylane, too... google "Brad Pitt acne scars Restylane"...

All my dermatologists said to me: "Never use permanent fillers!" They result to big trouble after 2 years...

I discussed with a Dr from QMed (producer of Restylane/Perlane), she said to me this filler is not approved for scars because it does not work well. Scar and wrinkle are totally different. The filler may also smooth the surrounding skin, because filler moves to the surrounding (scar tissue is stronger than healthy tissue, thats the problem). I noticed it myself.

barbiedoll_fl, the most shocking part is his actual prices! I am in FL also and have been to S Beach, and I always thought of it as sort of an East Beverly Hills. In other words, it also has vanity and wealth. bb_icon_cool.gif Take pics for us if you can! Fingers crossed for you.

blade007, I'm sorry that Perlane hasn't worked out for you. One thing I would like to point out: Sometimes, when using a filler, doctors will do a sort of mini subcision or undermining technique. My own plastic surgeon seemed to do that on a couple of the bigger injections. I don't think mine were horribly bound down though; just regular big old craters. If your Perlane was reabsorbed after only a few weeks, methinks your doc didn’t put it into the deep dermis like he was supposed to. Of course your mileage will vary to the extreme with docs, especially if you aren’t in the U.S. (Not bragging but we’re also good at swimming, gymnastics, and bombing stuff)

Dear Barbiedoll,

Please let me know how your Restylane injections go - I am looking for a good doctor in Miami. I will make an appointment with this doctor if you think he's good.

Tnanks!

So far so good! He took his time in doing it, and I would definitely reccommend him. He's very relaxed, and precise.

I do have some bruising from the injections, but that varies person-to-person. I think the scars look filled in pretty well, I am just waiting for the bruising to go away for a real perspective.

He put numbing cream on my face before it, and that stuff was awesome! The injectons did not hurt at all.

Especially compared to the last treatment I did...IPL. That freakin hurt!

I will keep you posted.

barbiedoll_fl, I'm really happy for you! We're so lucky to be alive in an age when doctors can actually smooth acne scars with such an easy thing as an injection. Last night someone guessed my age at 26 and I'm 40+, lol. Maybe it was my laugh lines. (or lack thereof) Ok, I'm back to reality - It was probably the booze. bb_icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes, it still looks great!

The bruising lasted a while on me, but I am very fair, so it was more noticeable.

I am very pleased with the results! biggrin.gif

I will also most likely be doing another IPL treatment soon for pigmentation issues.

Hi folks, this is my first post and I decided to document my Restylane injections for "rolling" acne scars. I have learned a lot from viewing pics from people like...I think her name is Tamara? And another helpful pic-poster named Misty, and many others. So I thought I would give something back. Although I photoshopped my eyes out since I'm not nearly as brave ;-)

Restylane before and after pics

I had the procedure done 9 days ago and I'm very happy that I did. The really brad pits [sic] filled up nicely! He injected a bit into my laugh lines, but after the swelling went down, I only had maybe 50% improvement there. But I just did that as an afterthought, really. Restylane is supposed to last 6-12 months, and my surgeon actually did his own glabs (frown lines between eyes) 5 months ago, and they were still smooth. So I'll be happy to get 6 months from this. Hopefully a perfect filler will come around as well, or maybe I will just get a series of silicone injections someday if I can find a doc with that particular skill.

The actual injections were no biggee, really. I came in early and a woman applied somethingcaine. The doc came in later and we talked for quite a while about important topics like world peace, and how to help me get more chicks. Oh, and why I need to give him 5,000 dollars to vaporize my dermis. (Most plastic surgeons push that - I guess they don't read medical journals or acne.org messages) I told him that I wanted to focus on my cheeks and temples, and to do my nasolabial folds (those are above the waist, by the way) if he had any left over. He totally concurred, so he went to work.

He gave me a mirror and a stick to point out the worst places to inject. He also shined a bright lamp on my face, but it’s not like I needed to actually “find� the craters. What are they, WMD’s? I know where they are. Some of them actually squirted out of my skin! I asked what the heck that was, and he said it was just oozing out of my pores. I figure that each “ooze� was costing me about 20 clams. Hey, next time I have this done, I will have a use for all this clear tape I never used. Ha-Ha! Some of you will get the joke.

I could see that small needle (0.7 CC, or was it ml?) getting low fast, so I really analyzed my cheeks again. They seemed much improved, so he just used the rest on my laugh lines. He was amazed that I actually watched him doing the injections, and commented that nobody ever did that. I guess most of his filler customers were women getting wrinkles done though. *shrug* That was a pretty big shot on my left side, and after 9 days, it’s still slightly discolored.

After a few days, I noticed that a few of the scars had been overfilled, so I pressed them down using an electronic fuse dipped in rubbing alcohol. I figured they would pop back up, but it actually helped! LOL You won’t find that one in any medical books, but it worked for me. I could probably try some needling, (rather, “more� since I did a few test spots) or smoothbeam, or something else for even more improvement, but…why? I got about 70% just from this so I guess I am good, for now.

I do have red marks that are obvious in the pics that I have been trying to improve with Tazorac and 40% lactic acid, but they don’t seem to help very much. The marks just seem to be very deep, and permanent. I do use Neutrogena on the spot blemish wand to cover and dry up zits – works great! Looks pale though, unfortunately. I also sometimes use some Revlon new complexion powder to smooth out the red marks and acne, and it helps a lot. Or even regular makeup. Tip for all guys: if you match the color and don’t use too much, nobody can tell. But maybe ask your sister or a female friend for help so you don’t go to school or something looking weird, lol. Seriously, just go to a drug store with paper in hand and buy the Revlon powder that looks close to your skin. That list is things that you are getting for your grandmother, or girlfriend – get it? Also, don’t worry about what people think, because truth be told, they simply don’t care.

As far as acne, I could probably offer some advice on this as well. I guess I will do a list:

1. I shave with a Norelco Advantage using jojoba oil and tea tree oil. (The latter kills the bacteria that causes razor bumps and probably p. acnes as well)

2. I wash my back using Oxy wash. Actually I just leave it on, why wouldn't you?

3. I gently wash my face using Purpose soap. I wait a few minutes, and then use a generous amount of Dan's BP. I used to use a moisturizer or some jojoba after that, but this BP does not dry my skin like the neutrahardtospell, so I just leave out that step now =)

4. At night I use Tazorac 0.05% cream, sometimes. (Used nightly, it really peeeels) About twice a week I do a 40% lactic acid peel.

5. Neutrogena on the spot blemish wand to cover and dry up zits

I actually used to shave with Purpose soap just like Dan! Neat coincidence, really. I was reading about some product called king of shaves that uses silicone oil and that gave me the idea to use jojoba oil before putting on shaving cream and using a Mach3 turbo. It worked so well I went back to my electric. Try it! It’s like butta

Hmmm…sorry this became a novella – Maybe I should consider posting more often, but in smaller sections. finis