Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoffmann

Acne Regimen in the WINTER time?

I currently live in Wisconsin and as some of you might know it gets quite cold. What concerns me is whether or not this acne Regimen would be too harsh due to the colder temperatures where as it can dry the skin more easily?

If anyone else is in the same boat as I am, could you please give me some tips on how to deal with the colder temperatures and increase of daily dryness that this cold, bitter, horrible winter will bring upon me?

I've been wondering the same thing. I started the regimen in the summer when(in pennsylvania) I would sweating on my face within minutes after washing my face. So my face would stay greasy for a long time because the sweat kept reactivating the bp. Fall was perfect weather for the regimen. Now that winters around the corner, is my face gonna flake off? Time will tell.

Yep, when the dry winter air gets here, I usually have to make some adjustments. Use extra jojoba oil in your moisturizer each day, and especially at night. If you need to take some moisturizer with you to apply during the day, get one of the small travel sizes. It transports easily.

I'm a long time regimen user, and I sometimes get what I call dryness attacks, especially in the winter. It's just flakiness that's really annoying and hard to get rid of. I live in Maryland which is certainly not as cold as Wisconsin, but it has very, very random weather with dramatic changes which take a toll on the skin. I've been reading around on the forums and this is my plan for this winter which seems to have worked for a few cold spells we've already had.

Morning: Wash with Dan's cleanser, follow with Dan's BP, then Dan's moisturizer (the classic regimen)

Night: Wash with Dan's cleanser, follow with Dan's BP, then follow with Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair Lotion

First of all, credit for this idea goes completely to Kat Kerfuffle and her amazing Regimen Handbook. Thank you so much!

Secondly, this has been working for me really well with no breakouts, but for you, the main idea of my plan is:

Stick to the regimen carefully, and don't be afraid to moisturize heavily, especially at night when it won't matter if your face looks a little greasy.

1) Find the right moisturizer for you. Jojoba oil is really really great, it just takes some getting used to putting oil straight on your skin. If you are new to the regimen, really just try lots of Jojoba oil at night like Brandy suggested. This will be safest.

I love how Dan's new moisturizer makes my skin look, but I personally need something more at night to combat the flakes. I like the Eucerin Plus Intensive lotion because it's very moisturizing and has AHA. It's just too greasy for me to use during the day, but it makes me skin look great in the morning and keeps the flakiness away. Someone with even dryer skin than myself might not have the greasiness problem because the lotion would absorb easier. You have to find what works for YOU, but don't rush to try tons of different products when you've just started the regimen.

2) Don't skip regimen applications! I find that when I fall asleep without doing the regimen (especially during the winter) sometimes it brings on one of these dryness attacks. When you skip a regimen you aren't just skipping washing your face and applying the BP, you are also skipping your skin's normal dose of moisture. In the summer when it's very humid, skipping an application doesn't have the same effect, since my face is sweating so much. But skipping during the dry winter months is not a good idea, and no matter what time of year skipping applications can lead to breakouts later on.

3) Be gentle, and give yourself enough time in the morning and at night to gently let all the BP absorb and then gently apply enough moisturizer. If your skin seems thirsty for more moisturizer after your usual amount, gently apply some more.

4) Don't be afraid to use more moisturizer at night than you would during the day. Your skin will be nice and smooth and soft in the morning.

5) For me, this took a few days to completely get rid of the dryness. It was improved right away, but all the flakes took awhile to go away.

6) The main point is - if you're having dryness/flakiness problems, try bumping up the amount of moisturizer instead of exfoliating or skipping regimen applications. Exfoliating and skipping the regimen are much more dangerous and likely to cause some break outs.

Dry skin can be really frustrating. Stick to the regimen, and thoroughly moisturize. I will try and keep you posted how my plan works throughout the winter. Good luck!

Thanks for the above advice. It's slowly heading into winter over here in London and with it, the bitterly cold weather is coming. I've already noticed my flakes becoming slightly more regular so this is valuable information. I don't want to end up looking like some kind of flakey snowman creature.

I mentioned in another thread that unfortunately, I think the Eucerin Intensive Plus Moisturizer caused a break out for me :(

For now I'm just using Dan's moisturizer again with lots of extra jojoba oil at night.

Does anyone know of any other good moisturizers with AHA? I used Dan's AHA for a long time but it is just not moisturizing enough anymore.

Jojoba oil, Fish oil caps taken orally, if your water is hard, using bottled water or softening the water you wash your face with, and a humidifier.

=D

I mentioned in another thread that unfortunately, I think the Eucerin Intensive Plus Moisturizer caused a break out for me :(

For now I'm just using Dan's moisturizer again with lots of extra jojoba oil at night.

Does anyone know of any other good moisturizers with AHA? I used Dan's AHA for a long time but it is just not moisturizing enough anymore.

Lac Hydrin 5 is a pretty good one. I believe it is 5% lactic acid (go figure from the name). All the ingredients are low on the comedogenicity scale as well. It is suggested on the "Finding products" part of this site.

The Eucerin Intensive Plus moisturizer has one or two ingredients that are high on the comedogenicity scale (I remember researching it because I was going to get it), so that might be why it caused you to break out.

Good luck!