Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3xacharm

My Journey on Spironolactone and Red/Blue Light Therapy

I'm a 36 yr old woman who is now on my 3rd round of adult acne breakouts. I was on Accutane back in 99....face cleared until 2002 when I stopped taking my ortho-tri cyclen.....then back on Accutane in 2002 along w/ the ortho-tri cyclen. The Accutane in 2002 cleared my face. I was prefectly clear for 8 years until five months after I stopped taking my ortho in Oct. '09.

I've gotten one cyst every month since March '10...and in the past 2-3 months my face has become intolerable.... I break out mostly with cystic acne that scars..... it's all along my jawline/chin area so it's definitely hormonal. (and now I'm beginning to wonder if Accutane really cleared my face or if it was the BC). I believe it's cystic...and possibly postules or papules? Whatever it is, it takes forever to go away and when some seem to clear up.....others tend to join the party. So, it's an ongoing battle.

I started spironolactone 3 weeks ago....haven't noticed much of a difference but as I've read here I need to give it some time.....

I also bought a Cairbbean Sun Box...I have used it for 3 days now...15mins/day. I use both red/blue lights from the box and about the last 5 mins I shut the red off and only use blue.

I will record my progress periodically in here. Later, I will post some of my before pictures.

I believe that the spiro is definitely giving me an initial breakout because my face has been a mess these past few weeks.....but I'm trying to be patient and give it at least 2-3 months to work.

I hope the light therapy helps speed up this process as well.

Pictures to come soon........

post-140407-1289179809_thumb.jpgpost-140407-1289179577_thumb.jpgpost-140407-1289179533_thumb.jpg

These were taken 3 weeks into spironolactone.... and currently 1 year 1 week from stopping BC.

post-140407-1289179533_thumb.jpg

post-140407-1289179577_thumb.jpg

post-140407-1289179809_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3xacharm

So, those last set of pictures were taken 11/4/10....and of course it's only 3 days later and my skin isn't any better.....

I have a few more lumps coming in along my jaw line/chin....and they hurt like hell. Anyone else just FEEL them growing?! UGH....

My boyfriend says it doesn't bother him one bit...we've been together for 2 years and of course my skin was clear as a bell when we met....and he has gradually seen my face turn into this. :cry:

I wish it didn't bother me....but then again, he's not the one w/ red mess all over his face....that hurts like a son of a bitch......

Anyway....I took my spiro today and did my light therapy....so...one more day down! I read a section about acne of a book my boyfriend had from the vitamin shoppe and my GOD there are way too many things to take and try and stop eating and wash with that no wonder most of us are obsessed w/ finding a friggen cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho....I'll be back in a few days or so to post any other progress worth reporting!!!!!

good luck to you and i think spiro is just what you need as your skin looks totally hormonal..i'm on my 8th month of spiro and i saw a difference at 2 months and had an initial outbreak too

good luck to you and i think spiro is just what you need as your skin looks totally hormonal..i'm on my 8th month of spiro and i saw a difference at 2 months and had an initial outbreak too

Thanks for posting because I'm certainly praying to God that is what this is...an initial breakout from spiro and it will get better.....next week will be one month in....so I hope I too notice a difference by the 2nd month......

How is your skin now after 8 months??? has it cleared completely? I just can't believe I went 8 years acne free to this.....(granted I had the occassional tiny whitehead here or there, but I'll take those ANY day!!!)

The derm said it was hormonal because of where it is...so I'm really hoping you and she are right...spiro has to be the thing that works for me.....

It's sooo depressing to wake up to this every day......cake the makeup on to look 1/2 way decent......then to come home and cry when I get out of the shower....it just sucks.

Day #6 has passed from using the light therapy and this Thursday will be one month on spiro.....

I think the light is helping my acne heal faster.....but only time will tell because it's only been six days. however, I got another lump coming in on my chin and it didn't get as large as I anticipated!

I believe I am STILL undergoing an initial breakout :doubt: I have approximately 20 active pustules/small cysts or whatever the hell they are.......

I also think the light is slightly helping w/ my fine lines! I also do home microderm 2x a week w/ a product called Youthful Essence.....I've done this 3 times in the past two weeks.....

I'll post more later.....

Day #7 has passed of light therapy and I'm 2 days away from the one month spiro mark.

As most on here don't want to count their chickens before they are hatched, I too am only reporting and am just going to remain positive and know that this battle is FAR from over at this stage.

Currently, my active pimples are dying down. Any that have formed recently, are NOT inflammed or becoming as big as they might have before.

Since I stopped taking the pill, I chart my temps and cervical fluids as my natural Birth control. I looked at my past two charts and right now I'm 7 days in w/o any new "flare ups".....which is good news seeing that my face started to clear for a mere 3 days after I ovulated and then the breakouts came back about 7 days before my monthly visitor.

Things are looking up......

Also, not sure if anyone on here is spiritual, but while I sit in the light for 15 mins, I meditate on my once clear skin and invision myself at the beginning of this year when I wasn't wearing makeup and crying in the mirror!!!!

Having positive thoughts is VERY important.....I believe my constant fear these 8 years that these horrible *uckers would come back is something I might have willed back into my life due to the fear.... What we resist....persists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is the one month mark on spiro.....and I've used the light therapy for a full week.

Here are my one month pics.... My face is flaky and dry due to using Neutrogena oil free acne wash/daily scrub.....anything topical dries me out toooooo much, so I'm not going to use this crap every day anymore. My friend at work suggested it cuz it works for her acne...but we have different types of acne and she has really oily skin whereas (thanks to Accutane) my skin is pretty normal most of the time (minus the damn zits!)

Anywho....I am seeing an improvement...none of my active acne is inflammed like it would normally be...I'm getting my monthly visitor in 3-4 days and I would certainly have some nice cyst or something taking over my chin or jaw....but so far, so good! All the pustules or whiteheads are drying out..... some of the red is fading, and I think that has to do w/ the light therapy because I highly doubt it's the spiro.

I'm not out of the woods yet...but I AM seeing a light @ the end of the tunnel!!!!

attachment=31019:IMAG0154.jpg]

Ok, I can't seem to post BOTH pics...here's just one.

(anyone know how to add more pics to a post or am I @ my limit now w/ this one? I can't add anymore :( does anyone know how to do a side by side photo comparison in one upload?)[

post-140407-1289525668_thumb.jpg

post-140407-1289525668_thumb.jpg

Still so far so good......my visitor arrived a couple days early.....as of right now I can safely say no new zits have joined the party & the others are still bailing out!!

Really thinking this light therapy is reducing the red scars! I have several more weeks of light therapy before I can truly determine its effects on my skin. But I'm def hopeful.

Oh.....and it seems my acne has come to a head more than I've ever experienced before.....most have just remained red lumps that never form a head & stay around for what seems like an eternity!

So far...I'm very happy w/ my results.....

IF I have any new breakouts, they do not form into large lumps.....they come to a head (which is not common for me)...and they dry out and die off.

I'm dealing w/ a few lumps that are persistent in hanging around....they are healing up, but those little buggers are deteremined to stay around.... ya know, the ones that like to live on your face for weeks/months!!!!

I have a LOT of red marks......I'm praying they do not form deeper scars...I won't know until my active blemishes clear up and whatnot....

I do know that the red marks will fade over time....and I truly have faith in my light therapy in reducing the redness etc..... Plus I do home microderm 2x a week..... Just gotta stick w/ it (I have a tendency to try something for a bit then move on!)

I'm getting a chemical peel in December when my work is closed for 11 days......this way if I peel really bad, I can sit home....and let my baby girl love on me (my doggie).... I hope this will help slightly w/ some redness but I'm not sure about them. My friend had one done for her fine lines and doesn't look like it does much.....maybe a few sessions are in order?!

Anyway.....I'm becoming extremely positive and I believe that spiro and this light therapy is what is going to help me! YAY!!!!! Not out of the woods yet, but I can see the forest through the trees! HAHA....

Hey! Glad to hear that you are seeing results!! I promise you, the spiro will amaze you once it starts fully kicking in. I waxed my eyebrows over two weeks ago and the hair is barely growing in!! I love it!

Thanks hopeful.....but as most on here have posted....once you get excited, something comes and lights up your face...literally.

I don't get it...don't get me wrong, I'm happy I haven't *knock on wood* been getting anymore "cysts" but I am still getting smaller, RED ones and some that hurt... I a couple along my neck/jawline and a couple on my left cheek...

Still holding strong though....I'm only one month and one week in as of Tomorrow...... I know I have at least till the 3 month mark to make my final decision on spiro....

I am hopeful that I made it through the initial breakout...... It's just the RED! ARGH.......GO AWAY already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And does makeup EVER cover this?! OMG.....I haven't much experience w/ makeup...I haven't worn anything on my face in 8 years! But it's almost like I have to buy industrial strength cover up before it will work!!!! UGH......

I hope the chemical peel I get in December reduces some of this......and again, I also know that it wasn't but 2 weeks ago I had my nasty initial break out (as the pics indicate)......

patience, patience, patience...oh why must I have to learn patience! HA

one month and 12 days in using Spiro. My face is clearing...I have 3 small lumps forming right now....one on my chin and two on the left side of my chin along the jawline. I do not believe they will get inflamed any further but they do hurt like they might. I have faith this is about as big as they are going to get at this point.

Other than those......my face is looking friggen amazing and I'm extremely happy w/ spiro.

Just going to wait still till I'm about 2-3 months in before I make the official say that spiro is my miracle drug!

I've been using the light therapy for maybe two weeks now?! I don't remember the exact date as I don't have my calendar where I wrote it down w/ me.......

some of the red scaring is fading......several lumps are diminishing as well......but I still don't think it's soon enough for me to make a decision on the affects of the light therapy as I've read it can take several weeks.....a couple months before noticing anything.

I'm still holding strong on using it though.....and I believe my fine lines are gradually plumping up though.....

Makeup is looking a lil better since I don't have lumps all over my face....but as for covering the red....still unimpressed of the affects.

I must say though, I think makeup makes me look older and draws out your lines/wrinkles a hell of a lot more than just going bare.

HOPEFULLY my scars will fade quick and I can stop wearing this crap in confidence!!!!!! I HATE MAKEUP....but it's a necessary evil right now!

Next Monday will be my 2month mark on spiro.....It's not getting worse...but it's not getting better.

I have at least 13 active nice sized zits on my face. Some have been around for what seems likes months! ARGH......

I already went through my initial breakout and about 2 weeks ago I thought I was in the "clear" but then several more came....I'm getting my monthly visitor this week..... so, I'm hoping by my next monthly visitor (will then be on spiro close to 3 months)....I will get clear and STAY clear.....

I know others on here ended up w/ false hopes during the first 2 months and then BAM, they felt like they were back to square one....but I also know those same people stuck it out and are now glad they did.

I'm still holding strong.....if anyone has any stories to help me not lose hope right now, I'd like to hear exactly how many months in you were on spiro before you just stopped breaking out completely....I'm trying not to lose hope....but it's hard when they just won't go the &*(& away!!!!

Hey I started Spirolactone about 3 months ago, though I only take 50 mg once daily. I also just bought the ANSR red/light beam, so it looks like we're trying the same type of thing.

I also am trying this Chinese Herbal supplement called Margarita Complexion.

So far with spiro, I've just seen a significant decrease in oil production (I had very oily skin). It hasn't stopped my breakouts yet. I know it's been a miracle cure for my friend, she takes 100mg daily and it's the only thing that stopped her breakouts, definitely give it 4 months, I'm still going...

I'll see how it goes with the red/blue light therapy, I've only been doing it 9 days, but so far it seems I'm not breaking out as regularly around my chin. Usually I have something new to wake up to every morning, but it seems it may be slowing down. I have lots of red marks as well, that I would really love to fade.

Keep us posted!

Nica

hey there.

I just started spiro three weeks ago. Not much improvement as of yet. I had a total breakdown today when I noticed another hard bump appearing on my chin. But I have heard that it takes times. So be patient. Hopefully, both of us will see results soon. :-)

Hey I started Spirolactone about 3 months ago, though I only take 50 mg once daily. I also just bought the ANSR red/light beam, so it looks like we're trying the same type of thing.

I also am trying this Chinese Herbal supplement called Margarita Complexion.

So far with spiro, I've just seen a significant decrease in oil production (I had very oily skin). It hasn't stopped my breakouts yet. I know it's been a miracle cure for my friend, she takes 100mg daily and it's the only thing that stopped her breakouts, definitely give it 4 months, I'm still going...

I'll see how it goes with the red/blue light therapy, I've only been doing it 9 days, but so far it seems I'm not breaking out as regularly around my chin. Usually I have something new to wake up to every morning, but it seems it may be slowing down. I have lots of red marks as well, that I would really love to fade.

Keep us posted!

Nica

Thanks for posting.....I'm still breaking out.... I have @ least 17 active blemishes right now. I also think I'm starting to have an allergic reaction to spiro cuz I'm getting hives like bug bites & I'm itching like crazy. Not sure I can go another 2 mos....Haha.

I'm still doing the lights too but not convinced its making a diff....but I'm still trying. Good luck. Let me know how you're coming along

hey there.

I just started spiro three weeks ago. Not much improvement as of yet. I had a total breakdown today when I noticed another hard bump appearing on my chin. But I have heard that it takes times. So be patient. Hopefully, both of us will see results soon. :-)

Good luck to you.....I got an initial breakout......very bad one. So just be prepared for that as it may happen. I hope you don't experience that.

3xacharm...how are things going on spiro? What happened with the hives and itching?

I'm still getting itching.....next week will officially be my 3 month mark. I also believe I'm gradually gaining weight. :mad: Weight loss is a side affect; however, weight gain is not listed as one...... I believe though, since I've been on this, I'm gaining. I know my body VERY well and if I want to lose 2lbs in a day I could cut my eating that day drastically and by the time I got home it'd be dropped.

It's been almost 3 months and I'm eating considerably less while at work and I've gained 3-4 friggen pounds. I read a posting on another website from several other women stating they've seen an increase in weight gain. It's just too much of a coincidence that all of a sudden my body is acting this way w/in the past couple months....because not even a week before taking spiro, I was able to lose weight easily.

Soooo...in addition, I went to the esthetician @ my derm's office and she suggested I only use the BLUE lights 20 mins 2 x a week...... I was using it every day along w/ the RED light. She said the red light may be overstimulating me and that's why the blue light isn't effective.

Currently, I just got my monthly visitor (very early this time, was late last month and my waking temps have been all over the place since I've been on this - I chart my temps as BC now) and I have 4 active blemishes.

I'm just not convinced @ this stage spiro is working.......and the weight gain HAS to go. Because I LOVE to eat and feel I'm really depriving myself lately because my body is messed up due to this med.

So, do I stay thin, enjoy eating (well go back to where I was before and still remain trim) and get gynormous lumps all over my face.... OR, do I starve myself in fear I'll get fat so I can have clear skin?! hmmmmmm.....

I'm VERY unsure what to do. I am thinking about cutting my dose now to only 50mgs and see what happens.......

but I believe if this isn't resolved in the next month (I.e. my weight goes back to being controlled easier like it has in the past and my face clears up).....I'm going back on Ortho tri-cyclen. IF it results in that, I had better have clear skin! ARGH!!!!