Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bear06

Tretinoin Cream or Gel?

Hi I have been on Tretinoin Cream 0.05% for about 7 months and it has helped a little on my acne even though my acne is not that severe, but I have been hearing that tretinoin gel is better for acne is this true? Also I get my prescription from Target Pharmacy will they be able to give me the gel instead of the cream?

Thank You

If the prescription states cream, the pharmacy cannot give you the gel without the doctor writing you a new prescription. That is, if you live in the states. That's the law here.

Yep, go to your dermatologist if you are thinking that you want the gel. Ask him/her if your skin can handle it since it is harsher. I went from cream to gel but my skin is not conventionally sensitive.

Edited by bek_cogent

If the prescription states cream, the pharmacy cannot give you the gel without the doctor writing you a new prescription. That is, if you live in the states. That's the law here.

But which is better in your opinion cream or gel?

But which is better in your opinion cream or gel?

Gel. It is less likely to be comedogenic.

I've heard that cream formulations are geared more towards older people for fine lines and wrinkles, while gel formulations are more for younger people with acne. The gel is more drying, but like Wynne says, it's less likely to be comedogenic. I've tried both, and I found that the cream made my face excessively oily (while simultaneously making it dry as well). The gel is more drying, but it's much more manageable than the oiliness.

My dermatologist switched me from cream to gel really easily, so you should definitely ask.