Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3xacharm

Women on Spironolactone only.....no Birth control

I posted this in another forum - but want to know as well if while taking spironolactone only made your breakouts worse before they got better (like Accutane does)???

Are there any women on here that are ONLY taking Spironolactone and no birth control?! I've seen a few posts about spiro.....but it seems a lot of you are on it w/ birth control and seeing results.

I'm a 36 yr old woman who is now on my 3rd round of adult acne breakouts. I was on Accutane back in 99....face cleared until 2002 when I stopped taking my ortho-tri cyclen.....then back on Accutane in 2002 along w/ the ortho-tri cyclen.

Due to my age, I decided I no longer wanted to be on birth control and since my boyfriend and I would probably like a child together one day, I thought it best I get off it @ this age. I stopped it as of October 2009 and then 5 months later got my first cyst. I've gotten one cysts every month since....and the past 2-3 months my face has become intolerable.... I break out mostly with cystic acne that scars..... it's all along my jawline/chin area so it's definitely hormonal.

I started spironolactone 3 weeks ago today....haven't noticed much of a difference but as I've read here I need to give it some time.....

If anyone else is on this med only, please let me know your progress and how long it took for you to clear up. thank you!

I started taking spiro about 3 months ago, and there was definitely a period around the 1 month mark when my face got REALLY bad. I got the hard, painful cysts around my chin/mouth/cheeks, like 3, 4, or 5 of them at a time and sometimes all really close together (disgusting!). My face also got REALLY dry around the same time, but I think that might have been due to the fact I was using ProActiv. The dryness has cleared up since I switched to a better topical treatment.

Anyway, at about the 3.5 month mark right now, I have NO cysts or even any whiteheads. Also, I'm only taking 25 mg twice a day, which is around the minimal dosage. I think it's been about a week with no real break-out, which honestly hasn't happened to me in about 5 years. So far it's definitely working for me. I am 21 and have never been on the pill, so I don't know if those two differences mean anything (they shouldn't really, my dad is a doctor and prescribes spiro to more 30+ women than he does to women my age). I bugged him about putting me on an rx, and he refused to go the acutane route. Although now I'm definitely glad he went with a safer option! Bottom line, this is the only pill I'm taking, and my face looks better than it has in foreverrr. Such a relief. If your skin starts to get worse before it gets better, I'd say hang in there! This is the only thing that has ever stopped my hormonal acne. :)

Hope that helps.

I started taking spiro about 3 months ago, and there was definitely a period around the 1 month mark when my face got REALLY bad. I got the hard, painful cysts around my chin/mouth/cheeks, like 3, 4, or 5 of them at a time and sometimes all really close together (disgusting!). My face also got REALLY dry around the same time, but I think that might have been due to the fact I was using ProActiv. The dryness has cleared up since I switched to a better topical treatment.

Anyway, at about the 3.5 month mark right now, I have NO cysts or even any whiteheads. Also, I'm only taking 25 mg twice a day, which is around the minimal dosage. I think it's been about a week with no real break-out, which honestly hasn't happened to me in about 5 years. So far it's definitely working for me. I am 21 and have never been on the pill, so I don't know if those two differences mean anything (they shouldn't really, my dad is a doctor and prescribes spiro to more 30+ women than he does to women my age). I bugged him about putting me on an rx, and he refused to go the acutane route. Although now I'm definitely glad he went with a safer option! Bottom line, this is the only pill I'm taking, and my face looks better than it has in foreverrr. Such a relief. If your skin starts to get worse before it gets better, I'd say hang in there! This is the only thing that has ever stopped my hormonal acne. :)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response...I have pictures in my other post on my journey w/ this and light therapy.

I will post more tonight because I'm at the one month mark. I FOR SURE got an initial breakout because 3 weeks in my face blew UP! haha I just wanted to be sure that it was the medicine and not something that my hormones were truly causing......

I know some people still experience more breakouts in the 2nd-3rd months, so I know I might not be out of the woods just yet.......as of today though, I'm starting my period in 4-5 days and all my active blemishes are healing....and any new ones that came in are going out just as quick and not getting huge!!! goooooood signs!!!!

good luck to you...... I was on accutane 2x in my life and it's NOT fun to be on.....I hated it.

I had to write a response to this. I have been on almost every gel, wash, laser light, chemical peel, oral drugs including accutane out there. What I have finally come to terms with it comes down to mix and match. If something works and something else doesn't use the one it works throw the rest in the garbage. I have suffered from cystic acne for years. It's been a terrible rollercoaster for me since 12 and I'm now 25! Anyway my point to all this is I was on accutane is obviously works but they eventually years later come back....then went down to minocycline 100mg 2x a day and spirnolactone 100 mg once a day. It worked but minocycline is soooooooo bad for you long term to hard on the liver.....my derm said many doctors underestimate the power of spirnolactone....the 100mg has made a huge difference for me.....believe it or not I finally have no more acne I have my acne scars and black heads but thats it no more bumps.....no to mention I have changed my diet around dramatically and lost 25 pounds as well I'm 5'6'' and 110....but my point is change up the diet and increase the dose....I think you would be surprised what the results are for you. It's so good though I'm afraid to start back up on bc in fear that changing anything in my regimen will make the acne start back up. Also I have oily skin and yes at first the spirnolactone will dry you out and lips as well my lips are constantly needing chapstick and tons of water but your body starts to level it out after a few months the thing is spirnolactone takes a long long time but it also has other benefits like it is a natural laxative including can help reduce blood pressure including help with PMDD.....

I must say that I have been lucky enough to have the means to see some of the best doctors money can buy....I have traveled overseas to multiple to hear the same thing at the end of the day my point to this is if they all start recommending it as a base you gotta know something is right about it. Anyway good luck

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response...I have pictures in my other post on my journey w/ this and light therapy.

I will post more tonight because I'm at the one month mark. I FOR SURE got an initial breakout because 3 weeks in my face blew UP! haha I just wanted to be sure that it was the medicine and not something that my hormones were truly causing......

I know some people still experience more breakouts in the 2nd-3rd months, so I know I might not be out of the woods just yet.......as of today though, I'm starting my period in 4-5 days and all my active blemishes are healing....and any new ones that came in are going out just as quick and not getting huge!!! goooooood signs!!!!

good luck to you...... I was on accutane 2x in my life and it's NOT fun to be on.....I hated it.

Thanks mmdelavega! Spiro hasn't helped me lose weight damnit.....Haha....not that I need to but 5lbs would be nice! I'm starting to wonder I'd my hypothyroidism may be sneaking up on me. My levels were fine my last blood test but anything can happen in the 6mos before getting them checked again!

Anyhow.......I'm wondering if accutane even worked 4 me cuz both times I was on ortho tri-cyclen too......& both times I stopped my bc I broke out. This fact has me convinced my acne is hormonal & therefore puts doubt that accutane is it was the right treatment for me.

Glad to hear you're doing well w/ your treatment!

I have been on Spiro 100mg/twice a day for over a year now. In the beginning, I definitely experienced breakouts that got worse before they got better. I also would experience a drowsy feeling after each dose for awhile. That eventually subsided with time. I think you have to be very patient with this particular medication, at least that's what everyone told me and I do believe it paid off in the end. After probably 8 months or so I noticed the most significant changes in my skin; breaking out less often and less severely. From the beginning of taking Spiro, I have not gotten one cyst either. That in itself has been an amazing result for me.

Overall, my skin is less oily than it was before taking Spiro. However, it still does get oily on and around my nose where my pores are the largest. It has not been a miracle drug for me eliminating all oil and potential breakouts, but the difference it has made is significant and definitely worth continuing use. I also lost about 10lbs after taking it without changing my diet or exercising and I've kept it off since I started taking Spiro over a year ago. Maybe you will also have that lovely side effect :)

I wish you all the luck in the world! Hope it is the answer you've been looking for.

Edited by MjoeM

Ok I'll start off by saying I have hypothyroidism and PCOS and was diagnosed in Sept(fml).

I started on 25 mg of Spiro in Sept, after 30 days I was put on 50 mg, and now mid October I was put on 100mg. It seems like since I've started it my skin is worse than ever..breaking out so bad and sososo red. I have seen no significant changes in my skin what-so-ever. It looks better than a month ago, but honestly my skin looked better before I started any of it. I feel like im allergic or something. I'm so stressed out! My doctor also added Doryx and Clindamycin when I was put on 100mg of Spiro. It's only made my skin dry and irritated. Who knows what is wrong..I feel like spiro works for everyone and yet I can't catch a break with this acne.

however I just wana say that if you have gone to an endocrinologist and they tell u that your test results came out normal and you have no hormonal problems. GO TO ANOTHER! Unless you had bloodwork years prior they do not know what YOUR normal levels are, they merely compare it to the average person. I had to be put on spiro for the PCOS, she said my results were fine but she could tell by the facial hair, acne on cheeks and jawline, significant weight gain, that something def was wrong. Just thought I'd let you all know

Thanks all!!! I tested positive for the hypothryoid antibodies, so I get my thyroid checked every 6 months now....

As to weight gain or loss, right now I haven't lost anything.....and CAN'T....spiro didn't help me lose anything and that sux (not that I need to but I'd like to lose at least 5lbs).

Anyway....I think my thryoid may have kicked in since the last tests or spiro is leveling me off because about 2 months or so ago I could lose 3 lbs in one day depending upon what I ate. I haven't been eating NEAR as much as before and I can't drop a damn lb. I know my body and this is totally weird! If I wanted to lose 2 lbs, I would barely eat anything and by the time I got home I was down 2 lbs...now, I'm exactly the same all day long......

I'm getting my thyroid checked again in a couple weeks, so we'll see.

So far I'm one week away from my 2 month mark on spiro...had a TERRIBLE initial break out and then 2 weeks ago my face seemed to be heading in a GREAT direction...then as of the past week....I feel I'm back to square one....w/ approximately 13 active blemishes..and they aren't small. However, they all seem to come to a head which was never the case for me before...I'd get lumps and no head.....so maybe this is a good thing?!

Good luck to all!!!!! Thanks for the comments!