Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

Supplements to aid skin dryness from BP?

I was reading on a skincare forum about how this lady had extremely dry skin on her legs, and someone mentioned Evening Primrose, Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, and Vitamin E to take orally. :think: She said it was because dry skin starts from the inside (now since I'm using the regimen this doesn't apply to me obviously, but living in the desert with winter coming doesn't help. :whistle: )

So do you think one or all four of those supplements may help my skin dryness due to BP? I probably should be taking Fish Oil caps already, but I have a bottle of Vitamin A and Flush Free Niacin to go through first X_X since I don't want to waste them. I'm cheap. :redface:

I do eat a decent amount of fat already though. Although I try not to eat dairy I eat meat, eggs, a little mayonnaise, olive oil, butter, coconut oil, natural peanut butter, turkey bacon... :think:

BUT, I do live in a really dry climate. I live in a desert area, it's almost winter, and our heaters such as electric radiators and pellet stoves will certainly make my climate dry as hell. :confused:

I may have to get a humidifier. I used to have one before but it got thrown out for some reason. Asking my Dad to buy gallons of distilled water is also kind of nerve wracking, but I had one before when I had bronchitis. I suppose I should ask for one.

From my experience, I took all the vitamins and I mean all the kinds that are supposed to help with skin, including vitamin b, zinc, cod liver oil, selenium, e, etc etc for over 2 months and I didn't really notice a difference with dry skin. No matter how much water I drank I would still get dry skin. Genetics and environment (humidity) has a greater impact IMO. When I was traveling across south east Asia this past summer, my skin was so soft and at times could go without moisturizer. Back in the states - especially on hot dry days or cold nights- if I dont put moisturizer immediately on my face will tighten up and itch within minutes of washing (with cold water). I bought a small humidifier and it has worked great on dry days- I turn it on during the hottest portions of the day and off when the sunsets/ natural humidity rises. I would recommend a great cream based moisturizer like CeraVe cream- it's great. And maybe try the hydrating cleanser too - it doesnt contain SLS- which the Cetaphil does- which might add to the dryness.

oh yeah I even bought an expensive chlorine filter for the shower head and only washed my face with it for a while and i might have noticed only maybe a 5% improvement? Not really worth the hassle, imo...

Edited by mboona