Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dissonance

Anyone here feel older than their age?

I just turned 23, but after laser resurfacing, and some steroid topical use, my face has aged so rapidly with wrinkles all over my forehead, in addition to the wrinkled and indented laugh lines. I look like i'm 40. I have lost all my desire to dress up and wear new trendy cloth. It's not enough to feel ugly from my acne scars, but i got to feel old too. Just when you think things can't get much worse.

You've got me wondering, can acne treatments cause premature aging? :confused:

In answer to your question, no, I don't really feel or look any older. I'm only 18. But I have noticed some (albeit subtle) laugh lines appearing since I started using Duac two months ago. Maybe I just laugh too much? ;)

Edited by Magdish

You are around my age =) don't worry you are young and your skin will regenerate but you need to take steps to take care of it. for one thing you need to get on renova (retin A) , right now, and maybe use some botox for a while to give your forehead a chance to heal

magdesh

be careful if you keep using benzoyl peroxide you will age much much more quickly, you know you can get clindamyicin without the benzoyl and alcohol

It may also be that your skin is dry guys, the drier your skin the more easy to see wrinkles taht are already there.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY
I just turned 23, but after laser resurfacing, and some steroid topical use, my face has aged so rapidly with wrinkles all over my forehead, in addition to the wrinkled and indented laugh lines. I look like i'm 40. I have lost all my desire to dress up and wear new trendy cloth. It's not enough to feel ugly from my acne scars, but i got to feel old too. Just when you think things can't get much worse.

try rosehip oil, its very rich in vit e,a and and other essential vits for skin regeneration (just google "rosehip for face"), get it raw/extra virgin and apply thin layer over those wrinkled places for overnight and morning, dont wash face too excessively at moring, just gently run over with cotton pad with whatever u use as cleanser or splash with water once, preferably is that u massage that oil into skin with, circular or oposite direction to which wrinkle is directed, motions. also dont forget to moisturize, what i use is raw aloe vera gel (directly from plant if possible) and then jojoba oil on top (if i remeber right then its supposed to lock moisture inside skin, so there u go, aloe moisturizes/hydrates and jojoba also moisturizes + locks moisture inside), having moisturized skin is very important because dry skin will wrinkle much easier, think about wet paper and dry paper, which one would more likely leave crack if being folded? ofc dry one, also drink water and antioxidant teas like green, white, sencha, rooibos, mate or that kind. avoid too much salt and white sugar and basically go with healthy diet etc (all this supposed to be affecting skin as well although idk if thats true)

i dunno what else to suggest, but i think this my natural oils method kinda works a bit i think, because i had premature wrinkle between eyebrows from being unimpressed and frowning most of time lol, but applying oils kind of cured it, at least most of it so it isnt noticeable (it was pretty deep before but i did actions for it right away) and im still frowning alot but even if it leaves that line there, it soon disappears again (like overnight or so).

so according to this my experience i say, u might as well try this, however i cant promise u wont break out because alot of u ppl breakout just from applying oils. as for me, i know for sure its not those oils that break me out, i just make sure to wash thoroughly hands before applying and apply thin layer.

i do moisturize and have used jojoba oil on my skin before. It's just that ever since i was bestowed the cruel fate of having seborrheic dermatitis, my skin has just been extremely dry and dehydrated no matter what i use.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY
i do moisturize and have used jojoba oil on my skin before. It's just that ever since i was bestowed the cruel fate of having seborrheic dermatitis, my skin has just been extremely dry and dehydrated no matter what i use.

u used it before or after this happened to u? afterall u have to apply it regularily, like every day and leave on as long as possible (like overnight fe), and dont ditch rosehip oil suggestion too quick as well, if u dont wanna use it topically, u can use it internally as supplement, its full of vitamins and all.. and whats with ur diet? and do u use any special topical products for this case maybe? also aloe vera plant gel, have u tried it? & have u been to derm yet? :confused:

Accutane made my skin dry and brittle. I now have mild rosacea and I have hugeee bagss under my eyes. I feel old as fuck. I'm only 17...

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

All my life I have. I am the maturest people out of my group my friends and everyone in my age group since I was 10.

Although I like to have fun from time to time, you're only live life once you know

Accutane made my skin dry and brittle. I now have mild rosacea and I have hugeee bagss under my eyes. I feel old as fuck. I'm only 17...

i've had pretty bad bags under my eyes since i was around seven, from a life of not enough sleep and just genetics i guess.

Ummmm have you ever thought about treating from the inside out?? I know alot of people with acne are scared of eating fats, but the GOOD fats are AWESOME for your skin and from making you look younger... just by eating them!

Take fish oil pills, vitamin C, vitamine E and Zinc. These will help repair your skin.

Eat LOTS of avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, fatty fish.... even fatty meat. Nuts and seeds are good too.

You will notcie a hugs difference after a few months eating/taking those supplements.

i feel older but i dont look older,

This describes me. I definitely don't look older (sometimes I wish I did, people always mistake me for being a lot younger than I am, which I actually DON'T like), but I sure as hell feel it. A crazy childhood and upbringing + years of dealing with the social consequences of acne = one old as heck soul. It's all right though, I'm happier for that experience and wisdom.

some people say i look old, some people say i look younger at my age.

im 18, but i feel like im 80 years old inside. Like i have dwell in this world for a long time.

i dun feel the world is any interesting than i think it is, the days passed with a disheartening sameness most of the time, maybe it's because i juz didnt make full use of my days.

anyway, i feel so much older than my age, i even think and speak like a old woman

Well, I've always looked older than my age. I wear glasses from one thing and I have deep smile lines, which can always gives the appearance of being older.

But I can tell you that having acne has had an impact on my looks greatly. Mostly, it was from all the years of crying, worrying, bouts of rage that has lead to wrinkles and deep frown or smile lines. I have a lot of wrinkles on my forehead and one that is so deep, that it goes clear across my forehead. Almost, has to say the wrinkle divides my forehead in half.

I've had people thought I looked ten years older than what i really am. Which, isn't always a good thing. I generally didn't have features that are naturally consider attactive in a male facially but with haveing acne it's made it worse. Which, I'm talking about scars and redmarks.

One thing about acne is: you can feel as if x amount of years have been stripped away from your life.

i thought my health was making me look a lot older but recently an age guess on me was 20-21 so i still look younger (27 in a month). this was with a full beard. i hope its true for everyone but i still think it has aged me. i have lines on my forehead now and bags under my eyes, although i've had rings under my eyes since i was a little kid.

i've always felt older than my age as far as wisdom/maturity

i definitely do. I treated my face real harshly as a kid with 10% bp .. never understood skin care until it was too late i suppose. I now look a lot older than my age of 25. People are often shocked (and i know this because they say things like OMG i thought u were so much older etc.) to hear that I am only 25. You arent alone in feeling like that. I consider laser resurfacing in order to try to get rid of my acne scars and wrinkles but I am afraid to do it. I guess the person that began this post would not recommend it .. it sounds like you think that laser resurfacing has actually made your skin look older right?

i definitely do. I treated my face real harshly as a kid with 10% bp .. never understood skin care until it was too late i suppose. I now look a lot older than my age of 25. People are often shocked (and i know this because they say things like OMG i thought u were so much older etc.) to hear that I am only 25. You arent alone in feeling like that. I consider laser resurfacing in order to try to get rid of my acne scars and wrinkles but I am afraid to do it. I guess the person that began this post would not recommend it .. it sounds like you think that laser resurfacing has actually made your skin look older right?

You're right, i wouldn't recommend laser. I went from having one minor wrinkle on my forehead to, 2.5 yrs later, having it everywhere. I began noticing wrinkles after my second treatment, but didn't think much of it, i guess it wasn't till later that i put 2 and 2 together. My face is not as tight as it used to be, it sags a little now. It also hurts now when i press against my face. Other than the wrinkles, the most irritating thing has to be the fact that my face burns now when i shower with warm water. To sum it up, using Proactiv was the start of my misery, but getting laser resurfacing totally pushed me over the top. My advice for you would be just to do the best you can for now, don't try and take a risk on scar treatments. it's so easy for things to go wrong. Wait out for something definite. Good luck.