Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
parksnrec

Should I quit taking birth control?

After years of trying different antibiotics and topicals, I was prescribed Ortho Tri-Cyclen for acne in Feb. 2009. At the same time, my doctor referred me to a dermatologist who prescribed accutane for my cystic acne a few months later. The accutane cleared up my skin and I'm just left with hyperpigmentation and some scarring now. My derm had me start using Differin about a month after I finished the accutane (Oct. 09). I've been taking both the Ortho Tri-Cyclen and the Differin since they were first prescribed. My skin has stayed clear for the most part, but on the rare occasions when I miss a day of using the Differin I will get a few small pimples. I'm 18 now and I haven't had a cyst since taking accutane.

I kind of want to quit taking the Ortho Tri-Cyclen now because it's a hassle to refill and pay for every month and will become even more of a hassle when I start college. However, I'm kind of scared to go off it since I've heard of people getting bad breakouts when they stop using BC. Also, I like being on the BC because I don't have terrible cramps being on it and it's so nice to be able to know exactly what day I'll get my period each month.

So, do you think I should quit taking birth control or stay on it? If I were to go off it, what should I expect?

Thanks for any input..