Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So backstory. I'm 23, ive had acne since i was 12ish. I've done antibiotics, topicals, accutane, and now im currently on spironolactone. accutane worked for about 8 months, then my skin was the worst its ever been. so i was put on antibiotics which worked for about 2 years, then it just wasnt strong enough. so a derm put me on a really really high dose of them, about 1000 mg a day. all was good for the first 3 months, then igot chronic yeast infections that were so bad i had to get every std test there is. so i found a new derm who gave me spironolactone so i could get off the antibiotics. after over 10 years, a horrible course of accutane, an antibiotics i thought spiro was my key. the first month everything drastically improved and the second i was pretty much completely clear. that was in june. now here we are in november, and my skin has been breaking out ever since. i just dont know how much more can take. i feel like my only other option is accutane, but that makes me break out initially so bad i dont know if i can take it. i feel like ive tried everything and nothing works. im so jealous of people with good skin, who dont have to take so much meds that it makes them sick just so their skin is somewhat passable for human, who dont have to smear creams on their face, who dont get anxiety about waking up in the morning and having to face their skin. acne makes me hate life, and whatever god there is. this feels like im being intentionally messed with as it gets better, then slightly worse, then better, then WAY worse. as childish as it sounds....it just feels cruel. i cant take any more emotionally. i feel so unworthy of looking people in the eye, ifeel hideous.my face dictates my life. it makes me want to crawl into a hole forever. the thought of doing accutaneagain and having my face breakout so bad makes me sick, but im baccked into a corner. ive tried everything. theres nothing left. im so desperate that if someone told me tomorrow that bleach was the new cure for acne, i would drink it. i hate looking at myself and feeling ugly. it ruins everything i do or want. skin shouldnt be such an issue in life. i am heartbroken.

Suzy Lee,

I read your post almost two weeks ago. I didn't reply at the time because I wasn't sure what to say...It is probably the saddest post I've ever read from this site, but also the most genuine.

I know that everyone's skin is different, so I don't want to start rambling off what worked for me. What I can offer is my opinion on switching too quickly from one medication to the next.

In my early 20's, I had a dermatologist who would prescribe 3-5 topical creams/gels and an antibiotic each time I saw her. I think she did this because her approach was "try this one for awhile, and if you don't see results, switch to this one, and if that doesn't work there's this one."

Like you, my skin went from better, than worse, to really clear, followed by the most severe acne I've ever had in my life. I too felt beaten, hopeless. I think my dermatologist did me a disservice by giving me so many options instead of really focusing on one product for awhile, then having a followup appointment to re-evaluate the positive and negative effects before switching to something different.

My advice to you is to not switch so quickly from one thing to the next. I think it will continue to confuse and frustrate you. It's very possible that your body has built up a tolerance to these strong antibiotics. I'd encourage you to try coming off of anything you take internally for awhile and focus on topical creams. It will save you a lot of money and it will give your body a chance to work on its own for the first time in a long time. Yes, initially I do think your skin will break out but why not take the risk if it's going to result in a positive outcome? If what you're using currently isn't working anymore, and you've already tried the strongest antibiotics available for acne, what do you have to lose?

It took a lot of courage to completely go off of all external and internal medications for my acne. I was at the end of my very frayed rope and I just made the decision to switch to Dan's Regimen and see what happened. I truly didn't think it would work, but it did. It didn't make sense that all these expensive antibiotics and creams would fail the test, but this simple regimen was the key to getting my skin cleared up.

I hope my advice is not upsetting you. Whatever you decide to do, just know there's people like me who really want you to have the peace of mind you're looking for. I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

If you're curious what stages I went through with my skin, and I what I currently use, eat, etc. please check out my blog.

Take care.

I don't know what advice to give, but all i can say is i hope it gets better for you, i know the feelings you have now very well and it sucks big time.

Oh i think what you're suffering from is WAY too cruel .......

But there is a hope depending on what the first one who replied to you said , just give it a try

In my opinion , Accutane should ONLY be given to you and others like your case , who have tried everything and nothing worked, because it's a serious drug and some of it's side effects are severe and permanent...

Just try to think positive and don't stress your self way too much, cuz stress and depression will eventually destroy you mentally and physically..

Dozens of Good luck :-D

LAITH KHRESHEH

Suzy Lee,

I am so sorry to hear about your skin. I really feel for you.

Have you ever tried being on the pill? My skin was terrible and I went on Yaz and it cleared it up.

It didn't happen immediately, took a few months but it worked.If your acne is hormonal, it might help?

All these acne treatments take time to work, and often things get worse before they get better. It's so hard to hang in there - but I hope you find the strength to fight it.

Lots of <<hugs>> !!!