Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondedancer10

shiney, oily, obnoxious!

Ok, so here's my dilemma. I use Dan's regimen at night and using the lots of BP of course dries my skin out. So after I wash my face in the morning I put on moisturizer an hour or two before I put on my makeup. The moisturizer always always makes my face stay shiney and stuff after my makeup is applied. I've tried applying a little less, but I can't really do that because of how dry my face gets. I've tried multiple moisturizers and they all give me the same problem. I sometimes apply it at night so that it's not necessary to apply much in the morning buuuut I still end up looking shiney :/ I feel at a loss.

I also use Almays liquid foundation because powder tends to break me out, but anyone with any tips please share!!

Hey there,

what moisturizers have you tried so far? And I think a primer would reallllly help! :]

well, I've tried a primer and it didn't really do much for me, but you could be right..do you have any suggestions for primers that are safe for acne prone skin? I've tried Eucerin, Cetaphil and the moisturizer from Dan's regimen. The all give me the same results, but you're on to something with the primer :):) let me know your thoughts dear!!

Hey there,

what moisturizers have you tried so far? And I think a primer would reallllly help! :]

well, I've tried a primer and it didn't really do much for me, but you could be right..do you have any suggestions for primers that are safe for acne prone skin? I've tried Eucerin, Cetaphil and the moisturizer from Dan's regimen. The all give me the same results, but you're on to something with the primer :):) let me know your thoughts dear!!

Hmm. Which one did you try? I really like the Stila one step primer- it's the one I use. Before that I used Smashbox Photo Finish primer for about 3 years! Sally Hansen has a good drugstore primer but it's a little glowy and I think that is what you are trying to avoid lol.

The thing with the moisturizers you tried is that they are all very heavy/creamy. I like that kind but it also does make for a little bit of a greasy finish, especially if you are trying to use makeup over it. Aveeno is a good brand to try because their stuff isn't as heavy but it's still moisturizing. Same with Garnier Nutritioniste. You could also look into getting a good moisturizing serum or gel. It all depends on your budget and what you need from a moisturizer.

Hey there,

Hmm. Which one did you try? I really like the Stila one step primer- it's the one I use. Before that I used Smashbox Photo Finish primer for about 3 years! Sally Hansen has a good drugstore primer but it's a little glowy and I think that is what you are trying to avoid lol.

The thing with the moisturizers you tried is that they are all very heavy/creamy. I like that kind but it also does make for a little bit of a greasy finish, especially if you are trying to use makeup over it. Aveeno is a good brand to try because their stuff isn't as heavy but it's still moisturizing. Same with Garnier Nutritioniste. You could also look into getting a good moisturizing serum or gel. It all depends on your budget and what you need from a moisturizer.

I used the Mac primer, but their products aren't good for acne-prone skin from my experience as far as foundations and such go. But, as far as moisturizers, do you have a particular brand or kind that you think I should try to help with this issue? I've always liked Aveeno products so I could take a look at their moisturizers.

Hey there,

I used the Mac primer, but their products aren't good for acne-prone skin from my experience as far as foundations and such go. But, as far as moisturizers, do you have a particular brand or kind that you think I should try to help with this issue? I've always liked Aveeno products so I could take a look at their moisturizers.

Ahh. I love MAC to cover but I think in return it makes my skin worse. I have their Studio Fix as an emergency touch up in my makeup bag and their lipstick but that's it. I actually love argan oil- I use the Josie Maran brand. Perricone MD clear skin hydrator was a godsend for me. I can't use it now because of my prescriptions, now I use Perricone MD face finishing moisturizer. They are both rich but not greasy. Garnier Nutritioniste is also good for moisture and no grease, and it's cheaper.

Maybe you can try skipping the lotion and using a toner and re-moist your skin before applying foundation, then quickly blend in the foundation while your skin's still moist. :think:

I personally use "Monsitat chaffing gel" as my primer.

It works MUCH BETTER than SmashBox, stupid smashbox cost like 16 dollars for a TEST tube, while the chaffing gel is like 4 dollars a tube and works perfect.

And SmashBox strangely makes me have a burn sensation on my face.

Edited by Abara

I had a huge problem with looking really oily no matter what moisturizer I used. I'm really happy with this Murad moisturizer right now. Sephora is good about giving samples. The one I am using is in the picture attached. They are currently featuring it in their skincare challenge.

I remember getting very oily with an almay foundation I used to use. It was the one for acne-prone skin (with salicylic acid). I don't remember if I even used lotion underneath it. Reguardless, it always made my skin on oil rig and I had to wipe it off immediately when I got out of school. I stopped using it when I got folliculitis forming because of it. I never used a primer but I don't think it would have helped. I have used this foundation once this year and I set it with loreal's dream matte powder and I don't remember having any problems with it. It might be because I've switched face products since then (I used to have to apply benza-clin before putting on foundation) but I'm not sure. It could be the powder but I doubt it.

If you're using Dan's old formula moisturizer, that might be the source of your shiny-ness. It did the same thing to me, and I don't know about you, but I definitely don't have an hour or two in the morning JUST to wait for my moisturizer to absorb. I would suggest finding a moisturizer that works well for your skin ---- one that moisturizes without leaving a sticky film. Believe me --- it makes a HUGE difference... especially when you're using topicals for your acne.