Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3xacharm

Women on Spironolactone ONLY - NO Birth Control

Are there any women on here that are ONLY taking Spironolactone and no birth control?! I've seen a few posts about spiro.....but it seems a lot of you are on it w/ birth control and seeing results.

I'm a 36 yr old woman who is now on my 3rd round of adult acne breakouts. I was on Accutane back in 99....face cleared until 2002 when I stopped taking my ortho-tri cyclen.....then back on Accutane in 2002 along w/ the ortho-tri cyclen.

Due to my age, I decided I no longer wanted to be on birth control and since my boyfriend and I would probably like a child together one day, I thought it best I get off it @ this age. I stopped it as of October 2009 and then 5 months later got my first cyst. I've gotten one cysts every month since....and the past 2-3 months my face has become intolerable.... I break out mostly with cystic acne that scars..... it's all along my jawline/chin area so it's definitely hormonal.

I started spironolactone 3 weeks ago today....haven't noticed much of a difference but as I've read here I need to give it some time.....

If anyone else is on this med only, please let me know your progress and how long it took for you to clear up. thank you!

Hey,

I am only on spironolactone and have been for about 2 months now, and I have never been so pleased with this product! My oil production is slow as well as the hair growth. Also, how much of a dosage are you taking. I take 100 mg/day, 50 in the morning and 50 @ night. If he started you out on a low dose it often needs to be upped to see any results.

If you can, give it time to work bc I think you could see great results. I am also using retin a for minor scarring that I have.

Hey,

I am only on spironolactone and have been for about 2 months now, and I have never been so pleased with this product! My oil production is slow as well as the hair growth. Also, how much of a dosage are you taking. I take 100 mg/day, 50 in the morning and 50 @ night. If he started you out on a low dose it often needs to be upped to see any results.

If you can, give it time to work bc I think you could see great results. I am also using retin a for minor scarring that I have.

Thanks.....she started me out on 100mg per day.....I take it about 12 hrs apart each day. She was the Derm that put me on Accutane the 2nd time, so I believe she just went full force w/ me on this since she knew my history.

I'm pleased to know that someone else it just taking this and no BC and showing results......my face is getting really scarred right now from these several breakouts over the past few months..... My face was completely clear for 8 years and now it seems like that never happened....I'm back to square one....this time w/ a vengence!

I really hope this works.....I also bought a Caribbean sunbox and just got it yesterday....figured it won't hurt.....plus I can kill the acne, help the scars all the while reducing my fine lines and wrinkles!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Hey,

Thanks.....she started me out on 100mg per day.....I take it about 12 hrs apart each day. She was the Derm that put me on Accutane the 2nd time, so I believe she just went full force w/ me on this since she knew my history.

I'm pleased to know that someone else it just taking this and no BC and showing results......my face is getting really scarred right now from these several breakouts over the past few months..... My face was completely clear for 8 years and now it seems like that never happened....I'm back to square one....this time w/ a vengence!

I really hope this works.....I also bought a Caribbean sunbox and just got it yesterday....figured it won't hurt.....plus I can kill the acne, help the scars all the while reducing my fine lines and wrinkles!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

You're welcome :) I hope that everything works out. I didn't start seeing any changes until after the first month or so, but hang in there.

I did not start breaking out for the first time in my life until about 4 months ago, and I'm 27. My left side of my face is already scarred and this is just so freaking ridiculous!! I hope everything works for you and please keep me posted on how you are doing!!! I have never been on BC in my life and didn't want to start, so spironolactone was the next best choice.

By the way what is a caribbean sunbox? Is it like an acne light treatment?

Thanks....I'm trying to be patient. I've been acne free for so long I just can't stomach that it's returned & this will be my third go around.

Did u experience more breakouts before it started to get better? I just feel it's getting worse but I'm not sure if this stuff is kinda like accutane where it may get worse before it starts to clear.

Yes the Caribbean sun box is a red/blue led light therapy. The derm suggested blue light therapy but for 8 sessions it was $500. The box was only $173! My friend told me that she knows someone who works @ a derm & says theses are just as good plus you can do it @ home...more often & cheaper. I just started it but I've read it can take up to four weeks to see results as everyone is diff.

& yeah I started getting cysts @ the age of 25. Damn hormones!!!

Well I did experience a few big inflamed pimples when I started the spironolactone, but it has calmed down now. I hate the thought of having to be on this stuff for awhile, but I think it will be the only thing that works for me. If I stop taking it I run the risk of having breakouts that were even worse, at least that's what others are saying on here, so I guess I'll keep taking it until I'm freaking 40!!! LOL

Anyway, did you order the box online?? That is awesome, do you have pitted scarring or red marks you are trying to get rid of? I want one of these!!!

Yeah, I ordered it from an authorized dealer who was selling it on e-bay..... It has blue and red lights... The blue is for acne treatment and the red is for healing and anti-aging.... You can use both lights at the same time or operate one or the other. I sit in front of it for 15 mins/day (well only two days so far) w/ both red and blue on...then about 5 mins @ the end, I shut off the red and leave strictly blue.

someone else on here posted that it only has a 5% return rate (and listed some others and their return rates)...so I guess it works!? they have 90day money back guarantee too.....

I got one w/ the red and blue cuz I'm starting to get some fine lines/wrinkles......

I'm praying that these two things do the trick.

I'm hoping that the breakouts I'm getting now are just initial due to taking the hormone stuff and that it will subside and start working in the next month......cuz I'm really getting depressed since this is the worst I believe I've ever had acne.

My scars from the breakouts in 99 and 2002 have left some pitted/pock marks.....but after my face stayed clear for 8 years those marks did not bother me one bit. I never wore makeup and I walked proud....now, I have to caked on foundation/concealer and it just depresses me.

the current breakouts are so far creating deep red marks.....and lumps are appearing in the same spots over and over so I'm sure those will end up pitted.

Right now, I'm not as concerned about the scarring as I am just getting rid of the active acne and future breakouts. I figured if this time around my face ends up really scarred once it clears up, I will pay to get some chemical peels or laser resurfacing......

I believe the red lights of the box may help w/ the red scars.....and possibly some very light scarring...but as for any deep pitted marks, those will have to be treated by a derm.

My derm mentioned the two areas where I have pitted marks and mentioned stitching the skin together to close it up.....but I'm not that concerned about them.... I just want the friggen acne to go away!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I would suggest that you stay on the spiro as long as you are able.....unless you intend on getting pregnant cuz I think it's not good to be on it then, but the doc may say otherwise.

All I know is that I was on my BC for 8 years since the last treatment of accutane and my face was clear the entire time.....give or take a tiny pimple here or there. And to have this come back like it has...is heartbreaking. So, yeah, I agree that going on and off "hormone" stuff isn't ideal under our circumstances because I am starting to believe each time you do, it wreaks way more havoc on your body/skin!!!

Good luck to you!!!! I hope you never got through it again @ any stage of your life!