Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alena

My story. One month after accutane acne is coming back. Back to strict diet. Experienced acne sufferes please help!!

Hello everyone,

English is not my first language so I apologize in advance if you have troubles understanding me :)

I am 22 year old female, been suffering from acne since I was 12. With years it progressed to severe acne that bad that I couldnt leave the house without the foundation. At the age of 21 I was put on the accutane for 10 months. Prior to that I ve done lots of courses of antibiotics, topicals, etc nothing really helped I never was clear since I was a child. So the accutane dose was 20mg first day/40mg second day. Acne was going away very slowly and on the 6th month I still had inflamed red pastules like mosquito bites, really ugly ones. As I noticed later, it was getting worse before my period.

After month 6 I ve done some research and decided to change my diet. No dairy, no sugar, occasional low GI fruit - apple, pears, no red meat. I also strated taking fish oil supplement.

Red inflamed dots were gone however I was still getting small pimples and whiteheads on month 8 or so. I excluded wheat from my diet and I think I ve seen some improvement also. Zinc supplement (40mg daily) also was added to the diet which definitely helped.

By the end of the course acne was gone however even after 10 months of accutane I still was getting up to 5 whiteheads with occasional inflamed zits sometimes prior the period or even during the cycle. But that happened few times a month, generally I was 100% clear. Accutane gave me excessive hair loss, extreeme mood swings, depression, fatigue, agressiveness, I nearly destroyed the relationship with my partner. However it is a miracle drug and I will go on it again if required.

Today is exactly 1 month since I am off accutane. First 2 weeks skin looked great, and last 2 weeks I was eating lots of junk food such as: pizza, toasts, cakes, chocolate, sticky date, risotto with cheese, etc (very small portions but everyday something bad)

Right now I am very upset about my face I have maybe 25 small whiteheads, few of them are red, and 3 red inflamed. I know the importance of the diet on the acne, but still surprised that 10 months of accutane done nothing. Or maybe in my case it is not diet at all, accutane could help me for a while but now I am back into the nightmare?

I suspect I might be sensitive to wheat, citrus, macadamia nut, dairy and sugar. Is it possible to be sensitive to sugar or sugar affects hormones overall? I get extreeme carvings for carbs and sugar. My food intolerance test will be ready on th 12 of November and I am so looking forward. On that day I also plan to get a candida test done. I am thinking about switching fish oil to cod oil as it has vit A in it but not sure it is a good idea right after getting off accutane.

What I currently do and do not:

Do

-Cetaphil oilly skin wash

-Oral contraceptive (pill)

-Fish oil supplement

-Zinc supplement

-Dairy free probiotic

-Lots of fish, sometimes chicken and rarely red meat

-Yeast free wheat free pasta

-Low GI veggies

-Some fruit mostly low GI pear, apple, sometimes frozen berries or strawberry - need 1-2 servings of fruit every day as I have extreeme cravings

-Pepermint and green tea

-Extra Virgin Olive Oil only

- Done green smoothies as some stage for a month or so every day but not any more

-Water

-Can't stay away from soy milk and soy sause occasionally with japaneese food yum!

This is the diet I try to stick to however as I mentioned earlier last 2 weeks been out of control

Do not

-No dairy since 6 months being on accutane

-Don't drink since accutane course and not going to at all. Wine broke me out very bad with red "mosquito" bite looking acne so no drinking for me ever

-I dont exfoliate my skin and I think that might cause the dead skin built-up need some advice on this also?Since I am off accutane I need to seems like I ve got few closed pores. I just do not want to make it any worse and aggrivate the existing spots.

-No exersise :( I know thats bad but I have a great body so no need to.

The purpose of this post I suppose to get some support with going back on extreemly strict diet at least I can write down and track my achievements here :) It is extreemly hard as I live with a partner who eats generally healthy but still eats dairy, bread, ham, meat, different sauces...everything I can't. I have to cook for him and myself separately. Right now I have a craving for an apple/sugar craving again but I have to stay away as I want my 100% clear skin back (had 3 small sized apples and some berries yesterday should take a break for at least a day)

Also if your situation is similar to mine please share your story?

Edited by Alena

-Cetaphil oilly skin wash

-Oral contraceptive (pill)

-Fish oil supplement

-Zinc supplement

-Dairy free probiotic

-Lots of fish, sometimes chicken and rarely red meat

-Yeast free wheat free pasta

-Low GI veggies

-Some fruit mostly low GI pear, apple, sometimes frozen berries or strawberry - need 1-2 servings of fruit every day as I have extreeme cravings

-Pepermint and green tea

-Extra Virgin Olive Oil only

- Done green smoothies as some stage for a month or so every day but not any more

-Water

-Can't stay away from soy milk and soy sause occasionally with japaneese food yum!

Well for one, my advice would be to stay away from pills. They really only do more harm than good in terms of acne.

As for diet:

1. Birth Control Pills can have a side effect of causing acne in some women - even though they can help it in others. Unless you need it for medical reasons, I'd probably stop taking it. This isn't medical advice - just an opinion.

2. Certain fish oil supplements can break people out. I've noticed that they break me out when I take them. If you can afford it, try medical grade fish oil.

3. Don't eat pasta. Period. It's like that it's causing blood sugar spikes which can contribute to acne.

4. Most veggies are low GI. Eat them in abundance.

5. Most fruits are NOT low GI. Eat them in moderation. Some people have sensitivity to the fructose in fruits. You mean need to eliminate them entirely if you find they cause this. It's a process of elimination.

6. Green tea is also known to cause acne in some people - though clear others. It tends to break me out, so I don't drink it. Again, process of elimination.

7. Stop drinking soy milk. It can really screw with your estrogen levels and has been shown to cause thyroid disorders. Small amounts of soy sauce probably won't impact you as drastically.

Overall, you'll need to do a process of elimination to find out what your triggers are. Your diet is not that strict and may need to be more strict. Start by eating nothing but meat and veggies. Then, try taking your fish oil to see if it has an impact. Then, try adding in fruits to see how you react. Then green tea...then grains..and so on. This way, you will be able to tell what foods or supplements are having an impact on your body.

I eat meat, fruits and veggies and I've kept my skin clear that way. I drink mostly water, decaf coffee, decaf rooibos or black tea and on rare occasion I'll even drink a diet soda.

Hope that is of some help

gMARIAs, thank you so much for your reply I am really happy someone actually replied :) What is your story if you have time can you please share? :razz:

I think I am definitely safe with green tea (tried elimination) and I think fish oil actually helped me lots with imflammation. Also can you please specify what you mean by medical grade fish oil? I use just the one you can get in any pharmacy the brand called "Natures Own"-I live in Australia. But I certainly can afford the better one if only I knew what to look for ))

I actually can not wait for my food sensitivity test which will be ready in a week. Very excited!

Ironically, gluten/wheat-free pastas, bread, crackers etc products tend to be even higher GI/GL than their wheaty counterparts. So while you are avoiding gluten, you are actually contributing even more to metabolic derangement. I work in a very reputable health food store, and a lot of people come in with myriads of health issues. It pains me so much when I see someone with a cart full of "gluten-free" crackers, pastas, cereals, breads, pizza crusts etc and they think they're doing themselves a favor.

I'm telling you- the best thing you can do for your health is to avoid any and all refined starchy carbohydrate foods, and certainly avoid ALL processed and packaged foods. Breads, pasta, cereal, crackers etc- these are all the foods that your body is least bio-evolutionarily programmed to handle. Keep your carb intake to vegetables, some fruit, squash/sweet potatoes, and try as hard as you can to keep carb intake directly proportional to energy expenditure. Don't fear quality fats- avocado, olive oil, organic butter, organic coconut oil+milk, but avoid industrial/refined oils like corn, canola, cottenseed, soybean, safflower etc LIKE THE PLAGUE. Eat quality proteins. Eat TONS of a wide variety of vegetables, cooked and raw. Eat some fruit. Eat some raw nuts.

If the fish oil is working for you, that's great keep it up. One of the few things alternative and conventional medical circles can agree upon is that people need more omega 3's. Another thing they agree on is the importance of vitamin D- get your levels checked. It's easy and increasingly cheap to do so. We have a place near us that will check it for like $40 and it takes 10 minutes. As far as other supplements, experiment and see how you feel, but keep in mind that nutrients from whole foods will always be better than a tablet or capsule.

Start getting some exercise. You don't need to go out and start pounding pavement, but move your body- pretend that you actually have to do work to feed yourself, and get from A to B. Don't eat constantly, allow yourself to get HUNGRY.

Just some ideas.

Make sure you're soy sauce is a naturally fermented+brewed, gluten/wheat-free sauce. Eden Organics makes a couple great products.

I have been able to satisfy all my hankerings for asian food with fish sauce, organic toasted sesame oil, hot chili, and coconut aminos. As well as plenty of garlic and ginger. Oh yeah, eat lot's of anti-inflammatory herbs and spices- garlic, ginger, turmeric, rosemary, thyme, basil, cilantro, oregano, chili powder, etc.

Thanks guys, although I know some of the things in relation to the nutrition already, thanks for your valuable advice :) I already eat lots of fresh garlic (my partner hates it LOL), turmeric, ginger, cinnamon..I will try to get vit D levels tested next week when I see my naturapath will keep you updated. By the way for the guys who is reading this post right now Ive finished few months ago a great book called "The clear skin diet" by Logan, you can get reviews on amazon. Some good info there but some topics are still controversy. Anyway worth a look.

Drizzler, what is your acne story? Is it diet related? Have you been on accutane?

I also heard read something about the butter, but isn't it considered to be the dairy product?

My naturapath also gave me a product called G-tox but I have not tried it yet, she said it will assist the leaky gut and help with the detoxication. The label says "Formulated to support the lining of gastrointestinal wall and to assist with the detoxication of kidneys. It contains BCM-95 turmeric, glutamine and zinc plus green herbs like spirulina, coriander and cleavers that have been traditionally used in western herbal medicine for tissue cleansing and to reduce the acidity of urine which maybe useful during the detoxication". It is marked as "practioner only range" and I paid $AU70 for 280 g which is due to current exchange range very close to $US70. It better be a quality one :confused: My real concern is when I start taking this product I am afraid I might break out even more due to skin releasing the toxins. What do you think guys?

Edited by Alena

It is extreemly hard as I live with a partner who eats generally healthy but still eats dairy, bread, ham, meat, different sauces...everything I can't. I have to cook for him and myself separately. Right now I have a craving for an apple/sugar craving again but I have to stay away

Briefly saute apple slices in a little butter then sprinkle with cinnamon. No sugar needed. Great for dessert cravings.

Also, consider other lifestyle habits like sleep, exercise, light exposure, stress. And how you eat what you eat. Keep all meals, and meals include drinks and snacks, low to moderate GL. I hope you didn't have those 3 apples at the same time/by themselves with nothing to lower the glycemic impact.

And why can't your partner eat what you eat and have dairy and bread on his own?

Accutane did nothing at all for me, btw. But diet changes did.

Oh, and along with what drizzler said about anti-inflammatory herbs and spices, eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies.

It is extreemly hard as I live with a partner who eats generally healthy but still eats dairy, bread, ham, meat, different sauces...everything I can't. I have to cook for him and myself separately. Right now I have a craving for an apple/sugar craving again but I have to stay away

Briefly saute apple slices in a little butter then sprinkle with cinnamon. No sugar needed. Great for dessert cravings.

Also, consider other lifestyle habits like sleep, exercise, light exposure, stress. And how you eat what you eat. Keep all meals, and meals include drinks and snacks, low to moderate GL. I hope you didn't have those 3 apples at the same time/by themselves with nothing to lower the glycemic impact.

And why can't your partner eat what you eat and have dairy and bread on his own?

Accutane did nothing at all for me, btw. But diet changes did.

Oh, and along with what drizzler said about anti-inflammatory herbs and spices, eat a lot of sulfur containing veggies.

Alternativista, how soon did the acne come back after the course of accutane? Was it as bad as earlier or you think it still had some positive effect on your oil production etc? what food sensitivities do you have and was it determined by elimination diet or intolerance test?

Edited by Alena

Accutane is finished, I am clear skin looks very nice (see the pic). 2 weeks later I started developing new acne again :(

Alternativista, how soon did the acne come back after the course of accutane? Was it as bad as earlier or you think it still had some positive effect on your oil production etc? what food sensitivities do you have and was it determined by elimination diet or intolerance test?

The only thing accutane did was give me chapped lips. Period. I figured out the food intolerance that caused my cystic acne mostly by luck, confirmed via elimination. And my blood sugar stabilizing diet habits reduced oil production, inflammation and therefore, other forms of acne.