Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chinacat

Experiences with Dermatologists

My acne started when I was 12 years old back in the late 80s early 90s. My parents took me to a pediatrician who then referred me to a dermatologist. All the guy did was prescribe topicals and antibiotics that didn't work. Most of them were in cream and lotion form that I came to find out years later actually break me out worse. They wanted to put me on accutane-which I wouldn't do because of the side effects and risks. I just had a really bad feeling about that drug and wouldn't take it. He also gave me information that I came to find out was just plain wrong-Like the whole "diet has nothing to do with acne" thing. For me diet most definitely affects my acne. I can't have refined sugars, hydrogenated fats, or milk. I had to figure that out on my own.

I went to a couple of different derms as a teen and then again in my 20s and not one of them ever ran any tests to check my hormone levels, check for allergies, etc. Looking back now, I see how little they actually did, and how useless they really were. It was an HMO, so I don't know if that had any bearing on the crappy treatment I received.

When I was like 14-15, I started to get into natural health and herbal type stuff (I did the best I could with research-this was pre-internet), and frankly that helped more than anything the derms ever prescribed to me. I just think I got really shitty treatment from the mainstream medical establishment. Have you guys had any luck with dermatologists.

I feel like that's what dermatologists were trained to do and it's normal. That doesn't mean you shouldn't/can't ask for different routes of treatments and tests but I think that's what most dermatologists would do. The food/acne connection is not really accepted widely in the medical field yet.

I had one dermatologist for a long time who was rude and weird. I didn't know that they could actually really help me with acne so I just went to him once every few years to have him check my freckles. He gave me acne stuff sometimes but I didn't use it the way I was supposed to because he never really explained it.

Now I have a great dermatologist who does laser and light treatments on me. She recommended Duac and a higher prescription for Differin and my skin looks so much better. There are good ones out there.