Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryan C

Dryness/Flaking

Hey everyone,

So I have had acne problems for roughly 6 years now, with the peak coming around 3-4 years ago. I used almost nothing for my face for almost a year and a half after I stopped seeing the dermatologist in early 2009. I had very minimal acne problems, but I also was not eating/sleeping enough. I recently endured a bad breakup and once I started to increase my diet, stop smoking, and begin to workout again, my acne started to flare up again. I started to use Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub, but I had very minimal results. I then decided that my next step was to go to the Acne.org Regimen. I ordered all of Dan's products and started 3 weeks ago. I was wondering whether I have done anything wrong so far because the dryness isn't subsiding quite yet.

I started off the first week with a thin line about 1/3 of a finger's length twice per day (Dan recommends a thick line about a 1/4 of the finger so its about the same amount.) I don't have that sensitive of skin, so I listened to the guide and went with twice daily to start out. About a week into it, my face began to get very tight and red. It was about this point when I started using two pumps of moisturizer EVERY time I do the regimen (I started out with just one pump for the morning, two for the night). At the end of week 2 my skin was peeling off, it looked scaly and as though the outer layers were peeling off. I started using jojoba oil about five days ago (tomorrow is the end of week 3) and I like how it eliminates the tight feeling. However, currently when I wake up in the morning my face is flaky around my mouth (especially below my lower lip on my chin area, around my eyebrow area, and between my eyebrows/eyes where my nose meets my forehead.) When I wash my face with the cleanser in the morning, the dryness is exacerbated. After about 7-10 hours after my morning application the dryness and flaking begins to show around the same areas as stated above (around mouth, eyebrow area, between eyes). My face does feel less tight as it did in the previous weeks, but I am just giving an overview of my experiences to this point just to see if this sounds about right (I wouldn't want to continue doing something wrong!). My acne, however, is clearing up, with a breakout here and there. My bigger concern is the dryness because irritation is evil for acne! I haven't missed an application yet and I am excited for the future. I would like to hear if I have done anything wrong thus far and if the dryness symptoms I am experiencing now at the end of week 3 are normal.

Thanks a ton!

Ryan

Try using a moisturizer that contain similar lipids that skin. Read about Effaclar H or Fisiogel A.I. or anything else, you can use that in the night (they leave a shiny look) but really helps skin in reducing redness and inflammation.

The dryness you're experiencing is completely normal, especially in those areas. For me, at the start of the regimen my whole chin and upper lip would be peeling off by the morning, and between my eyes was the second worst dry area, and I would have globs of dead skin coming off in that area when I washed my face. After about 2 months on the regimen, it was a LOT better (less dry) but still not perfect so I went to walmart and bought a pack of 60 cotton pads. They aren't even meant for washing your face, but they're incredibly gentle, not anything at all like a washcloth. I now use one each night with my normal cleanser, purpose cleansing bar, and it gets a lot of dead skin off without irritating my face in any way.

I am on week 6 and still having problems with dryness. I go to the extreme, though and use olive oil as my daily moisturizer to get rid of the flakes. It does not absorb to moisturize, but it certainly gets rid of the flakes. Thicker moisturizers work best to get rid of the flakes. I like Jason Natural 5,000 I.U. Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Creme for those problem areas. Most importantly it hasn't made me break out.