Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
allatonce

acne as breastfeeding child self-weans

I have been breastfeeding two children for a combined 3.5 years. My first child never weaned before my second child was born, so my body has never gone through the hormonal process of weaning.

After giving up dairy 3.5 years ago, I thought I had solved all of my acne problems. But a few months ago the acne flared again worse than ever before in my life. The only thing that I can attribute to this flare up is the fact that I am nursing so much less than before. I currently nurse probably 2-3 times a day. I was nursing probably 6-9 times about 6 mos ago so this is a big change.

Has anyone else experienced weaning related acne? What did you do? Ideas?

I've always had acne, but during pregnancy and the first 6 months of nursing had really good skin. As my baby drank less and less my skin went back to normal (bad). So it's possible as your hormones get back to normal your skin will too, whatever condition that is.

Right now I'm not doing anything for my skin except exfoliating, but I'm purchasing a Zeno to see if that works for me.

I totally feel your pain. I just quit breastfeeding my 6 month old because I started breaking out so bad and just knew it was hormonal and meant it was time to get back on the birth control. I have been on ortho tri-cyclen for almost 3 weeks now and my face is super oily and now my chin is breaking out, so it has actually got worse. Everyone says an initial break out is common on birth control and to give it several months, but my face looks so bad and I hate oil!! I don't know if this will end up going away, but if I don't get any relief in a month, I'm switching. Anybody have the same problem?

I'm afraid birth control is a great option for many, but definitely not a good thing for our bodies for the long term, I"m afraid.

I'm the same, with all my three children as soon as they start weaning my acne comes back really bad. I'm trying agnus cactus and natural progesterone cream at the moment, i've read alot of positive reviews about both. I hate contraceptive pills but they do clear my skin.