Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was reading online about natural sweeteners and I found Stevia. I read that Stevia has lots of health benefits for diabetics and prople who are trying to lose weight. But the thing that got me is I heard you can eat Stevia and not get acne. Also if you use it raw on your skin it will help cure a little acne. Is Stevia to good to be true?

I use it in green smoothies .etc and when I have the occasional hot coffee/cocoa.

It's not the greatest taste, but it definately won't give you acne.

Weird sweet is better than no sweet :/

Give it a crack.

Stevia will not give you acne.

I used to use it regularly to make almond flour cakes and such, but it can get expensive compared to regular sweeteners and sugar. It does have kind of a weird taste that may require some adjusting to. But overall, it doesn't seem to have any ill health properties.

I heard you can eat Stevia and not get acne.

I can eat lots of sugar and not get acne, so I'm sure that claim is plausible.

Also if you use it raw on your skin it will help cure a little acne. Is Stevia to good to be true?

I would say, yeah, that sounds too good to be true. Like most diseases with fluctuating symptoms, it's easy for individuals to convince themselves that anything is relevant to acne. Doesn't mean it's not possible (nobody has studied rubbing stevia on the skin to treat acne, of course). Just unlikely. No obvious biomechanism comes to mind.

If I wanted to choose a sweetener to affect acne, I would go with xylitol. It appears to upregulate superoxide dismutase (relevant to suppressing the host response that causes acne IMHO). I doubt it's a super-duper cure for acne, though, since it's a long way from swallowing xylitol to getting it to your skin. But it absolutely, no doubt, provably, can affect the host response to bacteria in your mouth, which is why it's relevant to gum disease and cavities.

So, buy a bag of pure xylitol and sweeten your green tea or whatever with it. Tastes as good as sugar, provokes less of an insulin response, and will help your mouth out whether or not it produces luscious virginal skin. :D

you can eat Stevia and not get acne.

???? There are many factors that contribute to acne. But since stevia doesn't cause surging blood sugar/insulin which screws up your hormones and the inflammation which are major factors in acne, it is very helpful in that respect. But using it doesn't mean you won't get acne.

Stevia can get turned into mutagenic compounds by your gut flora. This was shown in rats, and recently has been shown to be true in humans to. They advise you to keep intake low. To low to really use it a lot. And I wouldnt take it at all. Idd rather take some sugar.

Stevia is a fabulous alternative to sugar! It will actually help balance blood sugar (I have never broken out from using stevia) It does take a bit of practice to find the right amount or it can leave a bitter, numbing taste in your mouth. Another great alternative is Yacon Syrup, and coconut sugar :)

Try and get the green, organic, unprocessed kind though.. or use the leaves straight off the stevia plant!!!

Hope this helps :)

ehm it causes cancer organic , I might not have been clear on this. But mutations isnt really the best thing to prevent cancer.

It may cause cancer. A study, not a fact. Which I really do doubt.

I use stevia every day, I use the white powder. I think it makes things taste awesome. Anything sweet to me is magnified 10x. Everyone now a days has been living their life with everything having a pound of sugar in it. They can't eat things that don't taste deathly sweet. To someone who eats healthy, stevia is awesome.

Ye could be if they done the study wrong. Because conclusions arent hard on this one. I guess you just shouldnt use a western diet amount for now , just to be sure. But thats a lot and nobody on these forums is probably doing that :D