Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamesgarney

Flakiness with new moisturizer

Hello everyone,

I looked around but I didn't see too many posts on this specifically, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I started using the new moisturizer a few weeks ago and I'm noticing that it isn't nearly as effective at reducing flakes. I use a generous amount of Jojoba Oil too (and I did with the old moisturizer) but, every now and then, I see flakes around the corners of my mouth and my chin. It's not a huge deal, as I just "spot treat" the flakes with the moisturizer and that seems to take care of it. I just don't like going out to places and worrying that flakes are going to show up if I smile too big or wipe my mouth with a napkin or something. I usually carry some moisturizer around with me just in case, but it's embarrassing to run to the bathroom to check your face for flakes and come back a little shiny because I have to moisturize! Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been on the regimen for about 2 years now, and this is something that I've only seen consistently since I switched over to the new moisturizer. I remember Dan said somewhere that you need to moisturize at night too, and I do, but I still get flakes sometimes. Thanks for any help you can provide!

James

I don't find the moisturizer effective. I have substituted moisturizing with DKR in the mornings with using extra virgin olive oil instead and then patting with a washcloth to make it less oily. No more flakes. I still use the DKR moisturizer at night, though. I interchange it with AHA+ which works better to moisturize.

i too carry a moisturizer with me :/. Honestly i cant tell the difference in moisture between the 2. BUT i love how the new moisturizer dosent make u look sweaty or oily.

I agree with you. I've been on the regimen for over two years and haven't had a problem with flakiness until now. Overall, I really like the new moisturizer. It doesn't make you greasy, and it feels good and looks good on your skin. But it doesn't seem moisturizing enough. I'm getting a lot of flakes. I've been using more than Dan recommends and also using jojoba at night. Still the flaking continues, though.

Other than spot treating, like you're doing, I don't know what else we can do, though. Hopefully in the future the moisturizer is improved further.

I'm soooo glad it's not just me. I hate the new moisturizer. Yeah, sure it doesn't look oily and greasy like the old one but at least it worked decently. This one doesn't work at all for me. I used four pumps (day & night) and i still got flakes, a weird feeling residue, and a face feelin like i just got botox. I'm using Cetaphil right now which works well if you can put up with oiliness, which is better than having flakes and have a stiff face. But i'm still really disappointed that Dan's moisturizer did not hold up as well as he made it sound. I thought it was going to be that answer to our prayers. Time to get back on the hunt for a better moisturizer! (...exactly what a 17 year old guy wants to do with his free time.)

I'm using Cetaphil right now which works well if you can put up with oiliness, which is better than having flakes and have a stiff face.

That is exactly how I feel about using olive oil as a moisturizer. It is exceptionally oily (duh), but at this point, I would rather my face look oily than dry with bits of flakes ending up in my hair or on my eyebrows. I can prevent looking too oily by patting my face with a dry washcloth. Much of the oil is removed and I never get unwanted flakes anymore.

Brandy,

I have used quite a bit of moisturizer, even more than recommended, and still have the problem. I often add jojoba at night as well. It is really getting a lot worse as the weather gets colder too. I'm concerned.

Brandy,

I have used quite a bit of moisturizer, even more than recommended, and still have the problem. I often add jojoba at night as well. It is really getting a lot worse as the weather gets colder too. I'm concerned.

I know it's frustrating, but please keep playing around with the amount of moisturizer and jojoba. Use jojoba at each application, night and day, 5 to 6 drops. If you need to, decrease the amount of bp you are using too. Wintertime can be pretty rough and even my skin tends to get irritated and flaky. In fact, winter time is the only time I ever need to use extra jojoba oil.

I found the new moisturizer pretty bad compared to the old one, but since adding jojoba oil to it (3 or 4 drops) and blending the two together before application it seems to do the trick. As I have seriously sensitive skin I only need to do the bp in the evening and not in the morning, if I do it twice a day my skin goes red, sensitive, and seriously dry.

Hello everyone,

I looked around but I didn't see too many posts on this specifically, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I started using the new moisturizer a few weeks ago and I'm noticing that it isn't nearly as effective at reducing flakes. I use a generous amount of Jojoba Oil too (and I did with the old moisturizer) but, every now and then, I see flakes around the corners of my mouth and my chin. It's not a huge deal, as I just "spot treat" the flakes with the moisturizer and that seems to take care of it. I just don't like going out to places and worrying that flakes are going to show up if I smile too big or wipe my mouth with a napkin or something. I usually carry some moisturizer around with me just in case, but it's embarrassing to run to the bathroom to check your face for flakes and come back a little shiny because I have to moisturize! Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been on the regimen for about 2 years now, and this is something that I've only seen consistently since I switched over to the new moisturizer. I remember Dan said somewhere that you need to moisturize at night too, and I do, but I still get flakes sometimes. Thanks for any help you can provide!

James

i agree!!!! i too have been on The Regimen about 2 years now, and never before had this problem. i too worry about smiling too big and other stuff that will give me flakes. My face feels tight and not moisturized with this new moisturizer, i have given it time. I will give it till the bottle runs out, but then i will have to another moisturizer =/

But i'm still really disappointed that Dan's moisturizer did not hold up as well as he made it sound. I thought it was going to be that answer to our prayers. Time to get back on the hunt for a better moisturizer! (...exactly what a 17 year old guy wants to do with his free time.)

ha, i think the same. If i knew i was not going to like this new moisturizer i would've bought out all the old bottles haha.

Brandy, the lotion had some new kind of pump dispenser, it dispenses much less product than the older pump dispensers. =///

I agree!

The new moisturizer is simple not good enough!

I also have flakes now.

Dan, you need (please) to do something - make the new moisturizer better or go back to the old one.

I have a lot of respect for your work Dan but it is very frustrating when you are removing the good products.

Regards

THE NEW MOISTURIZER IS AMAZING. It's the best I've ever used, hands down. I love it. It feels very soothing and calms my skin. The best part is the fact that it "disappears". It's SO hard to find a moisturizer that doesn't leave a shiny residue behind. This one actually doesn't. I'm shocked. I think that the removal of glycerin helped out a lot.

To everyone experiencing flakiness, do you exfoliate? I exfoliate nearly every day, and it helps tremendously. I use a babys toothbrush (the softer and smaller, the better) soak it in alcohol for 20 seconds, then hot water to get the bristles even softer, then gently exfoliate the skin in a circular pattern. You'll see the flakes come right off. I do this after I get out of the shower and before I shave. Then gently apply .org cleaner, let air dry, then apply .org BP, dry, then the new moisturizer. You're done. Clear skin. After that, you're left with a smooth, fresh, healthy looking and feeling layer of skin on your face. The exfoliating takes care of the real flakes, which is just dead skin still stuck to your face, just begging to be exfoliated. After you do that, it really gives all those awesome ingredients in the new moisturizer a chance to do their job. However, I wouldn't reccomend exfoliating if you're broken out badly. Exfoliating like this is only for once you're almost out of the woods and are about 90% clear, no less.

Thank you so so so much for finally making the one-and-only best moisturizer on Earth.

-Ian

THE NEW MOISTURIZER IS AMAZING. It's the best I've ever used, hands down. I love it. It feels very soothing and calms my skin. The best part is the fact that it "disappears". It's SO hard to find a moisturizer that doesn't leave a shiny residue behind. This one actually doesn't. I'm shocked. I think that the removal of glycerin helped out a lot.

To everyone experiencing flakiness, do you exfoliate? I exfoliate nearly every day, and it helps tremendously. I use a babys toothbrush (the softer and smaller, the better) soak it in alcohol for 20 seconds, then hot water to get the bristles even softer, then gently exfoliate the skin in a circular pattern. You'll see the flakes come right off. I do this after I get out of the shower and before I shave. Then gently apply .org cleaner, let air dry, then apply .org BP, dry, then the new moisturizer. You're done. Clear skin. After that, you're left with a smooth, fresh, healthy looking and feeling layer of skin on your face. The exfoliating takes care of the real flakes, which is just dead skin still stuck to your face, just begging to be exfoliated. After you do that, it really gives all those awesome ingredients in the new moisturizer a chance to do their job. However, I wouldn't reccomend exfoliating if you're broken out badly. Exfoliating like this is only for once you're almost out of the woods and are about 90% clear, no less.

Thank you so so so much for finally making the one-and-only best moisturizer on Earth.

-Ian

=( see, i wish i could say the same, i really do. It does feel amazing going on, very soothing and calming. i don't exfoliate.... and i never had to with the previous Acne.org moisturizer. Also, it does still leave a shine on my face =[ not as much as the previous one, but still more than i go out with, but i don't care about that because it is easily fixed by patting with tissue paper or blot sheets.

I too have experienced some major issues with the new formula moisturizer. It felt great going on, very calming and soothing. However it did not moisturize, my skin would become extremely flaky within an hour or too. I would re-apply every few hours and it still would not moisturize enough. I mean I am talking 3-4 pumps with sometimes 10 drops of Jojoba Oil, and it just doesn't work. I used the moisturizer for over a month and I had to stop. It was causing me to get frustrated and to breakout like never before due to the flakes and irritation and frustration of reapplying several times per day.

I now buy the 2 oz travel bottles of the old formula and it is extremely expensive. $5.00 for 2 ounces, so I have to buy 8 bottles for a months supply and that is $40.00. But, almost instantly my skin improved back to normal and the breakouts/flakes that I experienced have since disappeared when I went back to the old formula moisturizer. As far as the oily look that people complain about from this product, I just simply blot my face with a clean napkin 15 minutes after applying and it works perfectly for me.

I am going to suggest that anyone who is having some problems with this new formula to use the contact form here: http://www.acne.org/contactus.php. It seems to me that is the best way to express our opinions of the new product. Hopefully if we all can constructively contact Dan about this, they will at the very least offer both versions of the moisturizer in large bottles.

wow, only 3.4 / 5:

That is way more bad than the old version. The old version was 4 / 5

Dan, this must also be frustrating for you?

It was 3.4 at the time. Now it sank to 3.2 as most recent reviews are extremely negative:

And Lots of bad comments about the new moisturizer on his blog:

So maybe I am missing something. Let's see. I've been using happily the old formula for almost a year. Then I recently replenished my supplies and I wasn't even informed I was getting a different product! I just noticed the color. And irritation. And flakiness. I'd like to get back to the old one. And use just one pump. And get great results. And also save money not having to do two pumps.

Why isn't it an option?

I don't need moisturizer that is twice as much $$ (same price two pumps) and doesn't moisturize.

P.S. Why can't I add links? I use the "Insert Link" icon but it just disappears. Am I not allowed to add a link?

Edited by boavista

Lots of people, including me, didn't like the old moisturizer. It was greasy, not effective, and left our faces burning and stinging and red. Dan made this calming, glycerin-free moisturizer to not have the problems the old one had.

For some reason though, I only used a small amount under Olay in the day for a while, and I think it increased the shedding of dead skin for me. I loved the even tone of my skin and everything, but I was flaking like no tomorrow, unfortunately, so I've stopped using it. Idk what I'm gonna do with the rest now. It is quite expensive.

I guess I should follow up my previous post after several months of using the new moisturizer. Recently I tried some of Dan's old moisturizer that I had sitting around. I definitely prefer the new one. The new one just feels good. Still, it's not perfect. But after using 3-4 pumps at each application, it seems to be working very well now. Obviously that's quite a bit to use, but it's been working well for me.

I guess I should follow up my previous post after several months of using the new moisturizer. Recently I tried some of Dan's old moisturizer that I had sitting around. I definitely prefer the new one. The new one just feels good. Still, it's not perfect. But after using 3-4 pumps at each application, it seems to be working very well now. Obviously that's quite a bit to use, but it's been working well for me.

i too feel like i should update my experience with the new moisturizer, i already did on the blog, and now for heeeere.

i still do not like this moisturizer in the way that it moisturizes, but when i put on the old one i noticed the difference in calming. the older one burnt me and it was so uncomfortable. The new one feels good going on as said above. My skin STILL flakes but it IS winter time and therefore it is colder where i reside, and i also have not been very good to my skin or body; so, those r all changes i have to take into account. I think my skin will continue adjusting to the new moiturizer in time and no longer flake, as it also had to adjust to The Regimen, and as it also has to adjust to nearly every change in my life.

I do use lots of pumps, about 8(still looks like less than two pumps of the old pumps tho), and it takes a long time to absorb (about 15-20 minutes), i will wean myself to use less moisturizer and hopefully it goes well :D

Although I posted previously that I found the moisturizer effective, now that I am consistently using the full amount of BP, that is no longer true.

I have switched to Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, and it seems to do a better job of fighting flakes, even when using less of it. It doesn't go on as smooth as Dan's, though. On the other hand, it's much less expensive.