Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Food Families - Are you sensitive to an entire family? Usually, its not a single food...

A few months ago, I paid $500 for a LEAP mRT test to find my food sensitivities. It was definitely worth it and I want to share with everyone interesting tidbits I learned.

Often a food sensitivity is to an entire family, not to a single food. I was sensitive to broccoli, but I had no idea that I was very sensitive to the entire Mustard Family (broccoli, cauliflower, canola oil, kale, collard greens...).

I found this knowledge very helpful since I have many sensitivities. If you notice that cashews break out out, you might also have the same reaction to mango. Cashews and mango are in the same family.

I have typed out the most common foods and their families below. Use Control+F to find a certain food to which you are sensitive. Good luck!

------------------------

FOOD FAMILIES:

Apple Family: Apples and pears

Banana Family: Banana, plantains, arrowroot

Birch Family: Hazelnut, wintergreen

Blueberry Family: Blueberry, cranberry, huckleberry

Buckwheat family: Buckwheat, rhubarb

Cashew Family: Mango, Cashew, Pistachio, poison ivy

Cattle family: Beef, whey, goat milk, sheep milk and all bi-products

Dillenia Family: Kiwi

Goosefoot Family: Beet, spinach, swiss chard, quinoa

Gourd Family: Cucumbers, pickles, melons, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, squash, zucchini, yellow squash, all winter squah and pumpkin

Hordeae Family: Wheat, barley, rye

Grape family: Grape, raisin, wine, cream of tartar

Hemp Family: Hops, Marijuana

Laurel Family: Avocado, bay leaf, cinnamon

Lily Family: Onions, garlic, chives, leeks, shallots, green onions, asparagus, aloe vera

Mint Family: Basil, catnip, mint, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, sage, savory, spearmint, thyme, chia, menthol

Morning Glory Family: Sweet potato

Mulberry Family: Breadfruit, fig, mulberry

Mushroom Family: Mushrooms, puffballs, Truffles

Mustard Family: Horseradish, mustard, rutabaga, turnip, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, collard greens, kale, canola oil, rapeseed, cress

Nutmeg Family: Nutmeg, mace

Olive Family: All olives

Orchid Family: Vanilla

Palm Family: Coconut, date, hearts of palm

Papaya Family: Papaya

Parsley Family: Anise, caraway, carrot, celery, celery seed, chervil, coriander, cumin, dill, fennel, parsley, parsnip, lovage, cilantro

PassionFlower Family: Passion Fruit

Pea Family: Alfalfa, clover, beans (aduki, fava, green, kidney, lima, mung, navy, pinto, snap, string, soy, garbanzo, locust, carob, lentil, split ), peanuts, peas (black-eyed, chick peas, green peas) licorice, tamarind.

Pepper Family: peppercorns, white pepper, black pepper

Pheasant Family: Chicken and chicken eggs, pheasant, quail

Pineapple Family: Pineapple family

Plum Family: Almond, apricot, cherry, chokeberry, nectarine, peach, plum, prune

Poppy Family: Poppy seed

Potato Family (Nightshade): Eggplant, potato, tobacco, tomato, peppers: cayenne, chili, paprika, pimiento, tomatillo, jalapeno, bell peppers of all colors

Prawn Family: Prawn, shrimp

Protea Family: Macadamia nut

Rose Family: Blackberry, boysenberry, raspberry, strawberry

Citrus Family: Citron, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, oranges, tangerine, tangelo, ugly fruit

Yeast Family: Baker's yeast, brewer's yeast

Sapucaya Family: Brazil Nut, paradise nut

Sesame Family: Sesame seeds, sesame oil

Spurge Family: Castor oil, tapioca, yucca, some types of arrowroot

Stercula Family: Chocolate, cocoa, cola nut

Tea family: Black tea, green tea,

Walnut Family: Black walnut, English Walnut, pecan, hickory, white walnut

Yams: Yams, Chinese potato, cush-cush, water yams, yellow yams, black yams, elephant's foot.

Edited by Dotty1

Nightshades seem to cause my body inflammation.

potatoes, tomatoes, hot peppers .etc

cooked or not cooked, they suck for me.

its annoying because i absolutely love them.

Citrus Family: Citron, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, oranges, tangerine, tangelo, ugly fruit

lol wut??

What are your results by eliminating your sensitivities??

Edited by joris

Yes, I get cysts from most citrus. But not lemons or persian limes. And supposedly lemons are hypoallergenic.

And I know there have been members here that were intolerant to all genus prunus.

^it's apparently a pretty common one, mine started with cherries and soon ran the whole gamut.

Ayla, so you noticed that you first developed a sensitivity to cherries and then over time you became sensitive to more foods?

Thanks Dotty, that's actually really cool/useful =)!!! My allergist told my husband andI something very simmilar when he had allergy testing done (about related foods, etc).

thank you so much, Dotty! that's what I attempted to do several times, but never really managed to end. I've gone through the descriptions of veggies on wikipedia, organizing them in charts, as I've learnt that I should avoid mustard family due to it's goitrogenic properties on people with thyroid issues, to among whom i'm included.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Ayla, so you noticed that you first developed a sensitivity to cherries and then over time you became sensitive to more foods?

I had already been diagnosed with celiac disease, then milk protein went haywire (never a milk drinker - but cheese, nom nom) Cherries started years later, then I noticed the same reaction to almonds, then peaches, then I quit the prunus family :lol: As far as I know, the prunus allergy never broke me out, just dramatic digestive problems. n I mean dramatic :|

I have typed out the most common foods and their families below. Use Control+F to find a certain food to which you are sensitive. Good luck!

------------------------

Where did you get the info for this list?. I just want to make the best list we can and I spot several issues. I think there's quite a few foods that many of us who try to eat the most nutrient dense or available organic foods might eat. Or people trying to avoid something and may pick a substitute from the same family.

I'm pretty sure there are quite a few others that belong in the Goosefoot family, like Amaranth, lambs quarters, etc.

Kiwi is a kind of gooseberry.

And you should add billberry to the blueberry family as that's what our European members would be eating.

And there's all the variations the Asians and others have cultivated out of the cabbage family. Not that we could possibly list them all. But some awareness that bok choy and the dozen other things that are called something choy and look pretty much the same are in the same family. And broccoli rabe, broccolini, etc. If it's dark, green and leafy or broccoli like and not shaped like a ducks foot, there's a real good chance it's in this family.

There's about a thousand varieties of squash too.

And there's much more in the wheat family like spelt, teff and products made from them that people might not be aware are wheat like bulgur, couscous, orzo, farina.

And what about other shellfish, which is among the top 10 food allergies?

Oh, and according to lists I've seen of hypo-allergenic foods, there are members of these families that few people are allergic too even though it's common to be allergic to the other members. Like lemons, collard greens, lentils.

Edited by alternativista

@alternate - hypolalergenic foods in the list

maybe you can just make the list complete, and mark these foods (other text style) and explain below it??

I would at least also put in the common foods used in other regions of the world.

@alternate - hypolalergenic foods in the list

maybe you can just make the list complete, and mark these foods (other text style) and explain below it??

I would at least also put in the common foods used in other regions of the world.

Well, those things are off the top of my head, and that's pretty much all I know of. Everyone could contribute though. I would think 'all kinds of winter and summer squashes' and 'all kinds of melons' would do solve the thousand varieties problem there.

And I have some of this in one of the really good food intolerance/elimination diets linked to in my thread which is why I would like the best list we can make.

Pomegranate - apple family right?

I guess that the bloodorange is clear

red cabbages also but theres also chinese cabbase in your list, arent just all the cabbages the same and should they be put in as "all varieties of cabbages"

All I could come up with for now.

EDIT: huh are bell peppers and eggplants in the potatoe family??

Edited by joris

teff is not in the wheat family, its in the millet family

edit: yes, eggplants, bell peppers, potatoes, tomatoes all belong to the deadly nightshade family

Edited by ayla

deadly? I know potatoes are high in starch and have a pretty high GI/GL. But why are eggplants, tomatoes and bell peppers so bad. Tomatoes for example have really strong cancer fighting agents...

ps. Is agents the correct word

Edited by joris

that's just the name of the family. Historically, red berries were poisonous to humans, so when tomato plants were discovered the same was assumed and they were named accordingly, not for hundreds of years did anyone actually try and eat one, love the taste and not die :lol: