Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm a guy with no experience and little knowledge about makeup. I don't have much active acne, just a couple small ones, but I have lots of discolorations on my cheeks.

I wanted to get some experience before I bought any expensive products, so I bought Revlon Colorstay. I was really embarrassed so I didn't ask for help to match my color or anything. The shade doesn't quite match me, but I don't think it's super noticeable. The one thing I do notice about it is that it makes my pores look larger, but I'm guessing that's because I'm not using a primer?

Anyways, I'm planning on doing some spending on Sephora to get everything I need. Please keep in mind if you give me advice, I'm trying to get this to look as natural as possible while covering everything!

So...primers, foundation, concealers, powder, brushes?

Here's what I got so far: Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish or Clinique Pore Minimizer, Foundation: MUFE HD or Nars Sheer Glow, Powder: MUFE Translucent Powder. For brushes, what brush is best for foundation? A stippling brush or a regular foundation brush? Then I'll need a fluffy one for the powder (if I need powder?). I'm not sure if I need concealer or not, since the foundation alone seems to do a good job.

Edited by ThreeTwoSix

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Makeup is the shiz. It has been the only makeup that hasn't made me break out like all the others while giving me a close to flawless complexion without feeling like I'm wearing a mask. Hope that helps.

P.S. Love you, Hunny Bunny ;)

Wow. You've done some pretty good researching there! Those products are certainly some of my favorites. But, products are very subjective. For example, some people love the Smashbox primer, but some people hate it because it breaks them out. There's no rules about which specific products to use and just because it works on some people, doesn't mean it will on you. Also, the products you've listed are on the more expensive end of the makeup spectrum, just to warn you. Considering you're a beginner you may want to start out with cheaper drugstore products so you can get used to makeup application, and that you can ditch if they make you break out.

Concealer isn't essential, and I probably wouldn't bother with it unless you have a uber mega pimple or if you have one or two dark red scars. Certainly don't apply it to every red mark on your face because it'll waste the product. Concealer is not something I use everyday. I use MAC's Studio Finish or Yves Saint Laurent's Touche Eclat which are both amazing , but again, you might want to start out with a cheaper product.

For me, a stippling brush is best. I use the MAC 187 and the finish is awesome. The MAC 109 is also good for beginners. MAC brushes are the best brushes for flawless application, but there are cheaper brands. There's an online-based company called Sigma who have MAC-comparable brushes for a fraction of the price. You will need a powder brush if you use powder, but I wouldn't use powder unless you need your foundation to stay put all day (or all night!) or if it's particularly hot outside.

Any more questions? Feel free to ask. Hope this helps.