Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondedancer10

is my skin immune?

So I've been using Dan's regimen religiously for about a year and a half. Over the past 4-5 months I've noticed my skin breaking out more. For the most part before then the regimen was keeping my skin clear. Now, I had a couple times where I switched my makeup foundation and that broke me out. But over the past 3 months I've been using the Clinique Acne Solutions foundation which gives me full coverage and is made to not irritate problematic skin like mine.

With all this being said, the last couple of nights I have felt frustrated because my skin just absolutely will not stay clear (and I definitely use a generous amount of BP) so I switched back to my Pro-Activ Bp (2nd step in their regimen). Which is the first time I've used anything from Proactiv since I received Dan's regimen in the mail around a year and a half ago. Anyways, my face is pretty broken out this morning and it's just super difficult to keep positive about this whole damn acne situation. I'm soooo tired of dealing with this. Is my skin becoming immune to Dan's regimen and that's why my skin hasn't stayed clear in the past 5 months? is it even possible to become immune to a skin care line? The reason I stopped Proactiv is because the same thing happened. I used it for about a year and then my face started breaking out again. I will also add that I am on birth control to help with my acne and have been since I was 16. I'm 23 now. Any advice, or issues with this same problem would be very very greatly appreciated! thanks!!

The new makeup may be a problem. Bacteria does not become resistant to BP, so that's not the problem.

Try the following link to pinpoint areas of concern with your use of the regimen: http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

I hope it's not the makeup because it seems to work pretty well, or so I thought :/ do you have any suggestions for makeup (preferably liquid foundation) that I could use that won't break me out? I read on here that Almay may be a good brand to use, but I've never tried it. Any advice? thanks dear :)

The new makeup may be a problem. Bacteria does not become resistant to BP, so that's not the problem.

Try the following link to pinpoint areas of concern with your use of the regimen: http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

I hope it's not the makeup because it seems to work pretty well, or so I thought :/ do you have any suggestions for makeup (preferably liquid foundation) that I could use that won't break me out? I read on here that Almay may be a good brand to use, but I've never tried it. Any advice? thanks dear :)

Brandy, a moderator here, uses Almay Smart Shade. When I wear makeup, I use Physician's Formula Liquid mineral. :) I'd not recommend Bare Minerals or any other makeup that has bismuth oxychloride as it can be irritating to acne prone skin and cause a breakout. The cosmetics and style section is VERY helpful. :)

Bacteria does not become resistant to BP, so that's not the problem.

True. However, it's also probably true that BP is better at killing Pityrosporum ovale than at killing P. acnes. Pityrosporum ovale produces azelaic acid, which can help reduce the symptoms of acne. Thus, it's plausible that, over time in certain individuals, BP use could tilt the bacterial balance in a way that worsens acne and appears consistent with "developing resistance".

IMHO. :D

True. However, it's also probably true that BP is better at killing Pityrosporum ovale than at killing P. acnes. Pityrosporum ovale produces azelaic acid, which can help reduce the symptoms of acne. Thus, it's plausible that, over time in certain individuals, BP use could tilt the bacterial balance in a way that worsens acne and appears consistent with "developing resistance".

But...that's still not resistance. :)

Hey Blondedancer10 -

I am in the same exact boat as you - I've been using all DKR products for over 2 years now - and for the past year, I've been so up and down with breakouts (to the point where I started my own Acne log/blog on my computer with pictures to document it) - I went from being so clear for months and months on all DKR products (started June 2008) and now I've had the worst year EVER. I'd say I'd go maybe 2 weeks - and then get a breakout. Then it started to be less and less. I was clear over the entire summer - and then at the end of August 2010 - I started getting cystic acne again - and it's been cysts STRAIGHT. I haven't been clear a single day since August.

Have you seen this thread in the Acne.org Regimen products board?

There are a few others that have been on Dan's products for a long time - and are starting to have issues. I am one of them. I didn't see your post because it seems like these sort of issues are spread in different sections of each different topic.

I do not use ANY makeup at all - nor hair products - nothing - I am about as pure and simple as it comes to what I put on my face - and I, too - was on ProActiv before switching over to Dan's products in June 2008. I have scars from the cysts that I have been getting for the past year while on the regimen - and I have done absolutely positively nothing different than I did back in 2008.

Hey Blondedancer10 -

I am in the same exact boat as you - I've been using all DKR products for over 2 years now - and for the past year, I've been so up and down with breakouts (to the point where I started my own Acne log/blog on my computer with pictures to document it) - I went from being so clear for months and months on all DKR products (started June 2008) and now I've had the worst year EVER. I'd say I'd go maybe 2 weeks - and then get a breakout. Then it started to be less and less. I was clear over the entire summer - and then at the end of August 2010 - I started getting cystic acne again - and it's been cysts STRAIGHT. I haven't been clear a single day since August.

Have you seen this thread in the Acne.org Regimen products board?

There are a few others that have been on Dan's products for a long time - and are starting to have issues. I am one of them. I didn't see your post because it seems like these sort of issues are spread in different sections of each different topic.

I do not use ANY makeup at all - nor hair products - nothing - I am about as pure and simple as it comes to what I put on my face - and I, too - was on ProActiv before switching over to Dan's products in June 2008. I have scars from the cysts that I have been getting for the past year while on the regimen - and I have done absolutely positively nothing different than I did back in 2008.

Maybe its diet related? i really don't know, it seems kind of scary that so many people are having problems a year or so after using the regimen O_O

I've been on the regimen for over 2 years now and I'm having the same problem! my skin was godly up until March when I started breaking out. Here was my timeline:

March-June: Started getting little rash bumps on my neck and break outs every few weeks or so.

July-August: Cystic acne started to build up, rash bumps continued

September-October: Skin kind of calmed down but definitely nothing like it was before. Pimples along jawline started to build up. I was getting pimples on my lips!!

And now so far through November I have been getting insane cysts, on one cheek, a few days ago I had FOUR cysts on my right cheek, a big red cyst on the other and a small cyst below my mouth. The four cysts kind of faded, as well as the one below my mouth but 2 other ones developed right near it!

I have damn senior pictures this Saturday and I look like a mess.

Edited by Professional

True. However, it's also probably true that than at killing P. acnes. , which can . Thus, it's plausible that, over time in certain individuals, BP use could tilt the bacterial balance in a way that worsens acne and appears consistent with "developing resistance".

Edited by mario352007

so maybe if you use Azelex in the morning and BP at night you should be able to maintain clear skin.