Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smooth Criminal

Question for those with gluten sensitivity

Hi everyone. I've been on my current regimen for 2.5 months now. I'll spell it out below in case anyone is interested. It was going pretty well, the breakouts have been coming less and less, my skin was smooth and soft, and I've even had days when I had no active pimples (a rarity for me).

I cut out gluten from my diet starting a week ago, mostly because of lifelong digestive/stomach issues. In that time, mostly the last few days, my skin has started to break out again. A week ago I had maybe one active pimple at most, and my skin was super smooth. Now, I have several active pimples--3 of which showed up today--and lots of little bumps (not sure what those are called, but for the most part they're small and flesh-colored). Could the gluten fast be related to this somehow?

Oh, and my regimen:

AM: Wash with Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser; Apply Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner with cotton pad; Apply Proactiv Extra Strength BP (7%) mixed with Cetaphil Moisturizer

PM: Wash with Cetaphil Cleanser; Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner; Proactiv E.S. BP mixed with Cetaphil Moisturizer

Did you start eating more of another food? More soy? More this? More that?

When I became a vegetarian, I began eating soy every day and my acne became much worse. Soy is one food that causes 3 weeks of suffering from 1 serving. Another one was protein in general caused huge cysts (I have since learned that I have hypochlorhydria (weak stomach acid)).

So, it could be some innocuous food that you are eating more consistently.

I suggest keeping a food log. Write down what you ate that day and your skin's reaction (and your entire body's reaction). Keep a food log for one month and you might begin to notice trends after several weeks.

Yeah, what did you replace the gluten with? That may be the issue. I would try replacing the gluten with more meat, go in a paleo diet direction with meats, fruits and vegetables composing the majority of your diet.

Also for some people, cutting out gluten causes them to become more carbohydrate sensitive because gluten actually reduces your body's ability to digest carbohydrates. This can cause more inflammation potentially.