Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The main problem with how bad my face looks is the hideous red marks, and while I do still get acne, it's not a huge amount since I'm stopping most of the incoming acne with Benzoyl Peroxide and a medication called, “Erythomycinâ€. I know a lot of people claim that BP prolongs the healing process for red marks, but in my case, it seems to be helping to fade them. For example, five weeks ago I decided to quit the Regimen for various reasons, but afterwards, my acne just got even worse without it and my red marks looked way worse too, so I decided to go back on it three weeks later, and what do you know? My face has looked a lot better ever since. Sure, I still have a lot of red marks, which make me extremely depressed, anti-social, and give me low self-esteem, but atleast my face isn't covered in acne. Red marks have pretty much destroyed my entire life; my right cheek is covered with them, my left cheek has a decent amount of them, my forehead has a tiny amount, and then both of my temples have a ton of red marks around the area. My chin, however, is pretty much clear. Most of my red marks look like they are fading, I only have a few that actually really stand out from the rest. I'd take pictures, but for the sake of not wanting to kill myself, I'd rather not.

So, how the hell can I stop both acne and red marks at the same time? Everyone claims that BP prolongs red marks or causes them, so maybe it’s not a good idea to continue using it since red marks are my primary issue, but if I go off BP, then what will I use to stop my acne? Because the medication I’m taking right now isn’t doing a good enough job alone. I’d go to a Dermatologist, but he’ll probably just tell me to go on Accutane (Like every other Dermatologist suggests to people), so then, that’d be a giant waste of money for a piece of information I already was suggested by a doctor.

Just to give you a general idea of what I'm doing to fix my acne and red marks, this is my current daily route:

-DKR Regimen: Basis Sensitive Skin Bar, DKR 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide, & Cetaphil Moisterizer (2x a day)

-Take Erythromycin (750mg: 3x a day)

-Take Fish Oil (x3), Performance Multivitamin (x1), Calcium Citrate (x2), and Glucosamine (x2)

I try to drink a lot of water throughout the day, also.

Random note, when I shave I use Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel (As opposed to shaving with the recommended DKR Cleanser) and I use a 4-bladed razor (As opposed to the recommended 2-bladed razor). So those are a couple of ‘rules’ in the Regimen I’m breaking, but I can’t exactly afford to get the Cleanser right now, and I’m pretty much fine using this 4-bladed razor.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Add in an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) product one or twice a week and work up to either every day or every other day, depending on the product. You can check out the link in my signature that starts "Glycolic acid product..." for some suggestions from users on this board.

Add in an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) product one or twice a week and work up to either every day or every other day, depending on the product. You can check out the link in my signature that starts "Glycolic acid product..." for some suggestions from users on this board.

Ok, thanks a lot for the reply, I'll look into doing that. So if I'm trying to get rid of my red marks, does BP basically defeat the purpose of my goal? Or will this AHA balance it all out? I just don't see BP causing me any red marks or prolonging any (Unless I'm like fucked up in the head), as I see a lot of them fading overtime.

So do I just apply the AHA over the Benzoyl Peroxide and Moisterizer?

Edited by Symmetry

Ok, thanks a lot for the reply, I'll look into doing that. So if I'm trying to get rid of my red marks, does BP basically defeat the purpose of my goal? Or will this AHA balance it all out? I just don't see BP causing me any red marks or prolonging any (Unless I'm like fucked up in the head), as I see a lot of them fading overtime.

If you don't see BP prolonging your red marks, there's no problem with it. Some say it does. Many say it doesn't.

AHA over BP. The AHA replaces the moisturizer if you use Dan's. At night is best in case the products decide to look strange. :P Start out only once or twice a week with the AHA. Keep it at that for a while and determine from there if you might want to use it every other day or every third day.

If you don't see BP prolonging your red marks, there's no problem with it. Some say it does. Many say it doesn't.

AHA over BP. The AHA replaces the moisturizer if you use Dan's. At night is best in case the products decide to look strange. :P Start out only once or twice a week with the AHA. Keep it at that for a while and determine from there if you might want to use it every other day or every third day.

Oh ok, that sounds good to me. So if I used the AHA every other day, on the days I didn't use it, I would use the DKR moisterizer instead? And then for days when I would use AHA, I wouldn't use the DKR moisterizer? Hopefully that question makes sense.

I honestly can't tell if it is prolonging the red marks or not, I don't even know where the red marks came from, to be honest.

yes, replace the moisturizer with the AHA on the days you use the AHA. Use the moisturizer when you don't use the AHA. :)

Ok, thanks again for the help. I know you told me to visit the link, which I did, but there are so many different ones to choose from, so what one would you recommend I use for my situation?

I'd go for the first product on the list, but not only do I have to order it online, but it's pretty spendy. How long does it last you? Also, I'm currently taking medication for acne, and I read that it's not recommended to do skin peels while being on medication, so would that be safe?

After reading this other thread, Aqua Glycolic seems pretty convincing.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Aqua-Glyc...ne-t165035.html

Edited by Symmetry

Sorry for double posting, but I just read a lot about ACV, and that seems like a really wise choice for me. Do you know if a lot of people have reported it working just as well as AHA does? I don't have a lot of money to spend on a lot of different products, so I'm trying to narrow my choice down to what sounds the best. So my choices are AHA, ACV, or Emu Oil, and thusfar, ACV seems the most likely for me.