Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Number1nerd

Katie's Accutane Journal

OK!!! I'll definitely try the aquaphor in the nose thing - i've been using it for my lips daily, but it hasn't really been working. I mean, my lips aren't horrible - it's only bad sometimes (usually when i sleep in).

Oh! And i'm going to definitely take your advice and drink MORE WATER!!! I haven't been drinking anything lately, and that's probably the reason for my dryness! I didn't even think about water being a culprit, but if you guys say so! I'll try it out for a few days and tell you guys how its working! smile.gif Thanks!!

Day 49, WEEK 7 : Ah... Hmm. Nose very dry in one nostril, lips dry, eyes dry, back still painful (but bearable. i barely notice anymore), hands still VERY sensitive (i have a new cut that i got yesterday from bumping into my desk), and... skin is alright. No new *huge* pimples, but the texture isn't as nice, and I have big pores on my cheeks that are really ugly. I don't know if it's blackheads or what. I also got a little zit near my chin.

Adios muchachos!

- kt

OK!!!  I'll definitely try the aquaphor in the nose thing - i've been using it for my lips daily, but it hasn't really been working.  I mean, my lips aren't horrible - it's only bad sometimes (usually when i sleep in).

Oh! And i'm going to definitely take your advice and drink MORE WATER!!!  I haven't been drinking anything lately, and that's probably the reason for my dryness!  I didn't even think about water being a culprit, but if you guys say so! I'll try it out for a few days and tell you guys how its working! smile.gif  Thanks!!

Day 49 : Ah... Hmm.  Nose very dry in one nostril, lips dry, eyes dry, back still painful (but bearable. i barely notice anymore), hands still VERY sensitive (i have a new cut that i got yesterday from bumping into my desk), and...  skin is alright.  No new *huge* pimples, but the texture isn't as nice, and I have big pores on my cheeks that are really ugly.  I don't know if it's blackheads or what.  I also got a little zit near my chin.

Adios muchachos!

- kt

DAY 52 : face is doing a lot better, i think it's getting used to pittsburgh! smile.gif Drank a whole bottle of water this morning, so i'm off to a good start at staying hydrated! I've been drinking the past few nights, i know i shouldn't, but i'm trying to keep it to a minimum. Two or three drinks only, and i'll try and limit it to the weekend only!

One teeny new zit on my cheek, not sure if it will get bigger. Nose is 10x better! I've restricted myself from trying to get the gunk out all the time, and that (combined with a little aquaphor) has done wonders. Eyes get dry still as do the lips, but oh well. Next time i'm at a pharmacy i'll see if they can give me a RX.

I AM SO SCARED TO GO SEE MY NEW DERM! I have never been there and I have to try and take a bus in order to find it! BAAAAH! The city is so awesome at times, but other times i get so confused and scared! eusa_doh.gif

Thats it for now...

-kt

.  Aquaphor will do nothing for your lips while on accutane. 

if  you want to push dr dans cortibalm thats cool but please dont lie to her and tell her aquaphor does nothing for ur lips on accutane,,, my lips would look like a corpses lips without aquaphor.

Hmm... Alright all - no need to fight about which lip treatment is better! I'm currently using aquaphor and haven't found much success (although I DO like my new blistex medicated), so i'm simply going to try Dr. Dan's soon. It all depends on the person, you know? wink.gif

DAY 53 : The red scars seem to never go away. How awful. Nose is a little worse, but not horrible. Everything else is normal I suppose! No new pimps, just that little one on my cheek. I think this friday (week 8) i'll take some pictures... I haven't had the time the past few weeks! Haha, hopefully my roomate won't think i'm a loony for taking pictures of myself!

Till then...

- kt

WEEK 8 : WOoooOoo! Time flew by! Skin is, well, uh... I don't know. The pimple of my left cheek got a little bigger, and its really annoying. My skin is never smooth anymore, just sort of dry and bumpy. It doesn't look dry, but when I touch it, it certainly feels dry. I also have a lot of pitted scars that i noticed again today - you can see them in certain lighting, and it's AWFUL! sad.gif I want to get microdermabresion (sp?) after accutane!

Anyways. Lips are amazingly better - i don't know what i've been doing different, but they rock! smile.gif Nose is better too, as are my eyes. Maybe it's the Propel water i've been drinking! Wee hee!

Thats it for now...

- kt

DONT GET MICRODERM im sorry i dont mean to discourage you or anything but i did microderm for my fairly shallow pitted scars and it DIDNT. DO. ANYTHING. in fact it made my face hyperpigment in areas i broke out in while going through treatment. 5 treatments cost me 500 bucks all for nothing, i didn't see any results. Ive actually gotten better results with neutrogena advanced solutions face peel, which is about 490 dollars cheaper... needless to say my scars didn't go away at all and it was a complete waste of money. i regret it...

DONT GET MICRODERM im sorry i dont mean to discourage you or anything but i did microderm for my fairly shallow pitted scars and it DIDNT. DO. ANYTHING. in fact it made my face hyperpigment in areas i broke out in while going through treatment. 5 treatments cost me 500 bucks all for nothing, i didn't see any results. Ive actually gotten better results with neutrogena advanced solutions face peel, which is about 490 dollars cheaper... needless to say my scars didn't go away at all and it was a complete waste of money. i regret it...

DAY 58 : Pimple is almost gone from left side of cheek, but I have a feeling it's going to be a scar that will take FOREVER to go away. sad.gif Ugh. The rest of my face is doing good - I used my apricot scrub last night and it feels REALLY smooth this morning! No other pimples either, so that is good!

Lips are amazingly better - i love this blistex stuff! Back doesn't hurt anymore either, which is odd since i walk around everywhere in pitt with a big heavy backpack.

NEW PICTURES in my journal! (sorry i never took pix week 6 and 7! i was moving in!)

LOVE,

kt

Hello. I just found this site today and have become quite intrigued with all of the helpful information here.

I'm particularly interested in your log here as it seems that your acne appears very similar to mine (with the exception of age--mine was crystal clear throughout high school and wasn't until I started college 5 years ago that I began to break out regularly). I have tried many topical treatments and finally settled into a long-term treatment of Proactiv (which didn't help much) and denial--I'd convince myself that it "wasn't so bad," or not as extreme as many other cases when in truth I'd become very self concious. I was skeptical of oral treatments as years ago I went to a dermatologist who prescribed an antiboitic which broke me out into hives 24 hours after the last dosage. Recently, I sought out a new dermatologist who has reccomended Accutane, but we are going to try a few more last-ditch efforts first (largely until I get some insurance to cover the high costs associated with Accutane) that include microdermabrasion and another topical treatment that I had not previously tried. It's still early on, but I am anticipating that I may eventually try Accutane if these methods fail, so I am doing plenty of research now. Your detailed postings have been very helpful and encouraging to me, and I will continue to watch and support you as I do my research.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, and congratulations on your success so far. You were lovely before you started this treatment and you are still beautiful (with the wonderful added bonus of clear skin which is such a self-esteem booster).

Hi Katie

I just wanted to say your skin looks really good and has improved really nicely since you started the Accutane. The red marks you complain about are hardly noticeable, congrats on your success thus far.

Beama

WOW!!! Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback thus far! I guess I didn't really realize how much accutane has been working until now. smile.gif Unfortunately, I have some bad news...

WEEK 9 (DAY 63) : Had a derm appointment two days ago - and because it was an entirely different doctor, I had to go through all steps that I already went through BEFORE I took accutane. This includes going on BIRTH CONTROL for one month before I can get a new prescription of the 'tane. Then after that, I need bloodwork. Long story short - I CAN'T GET A NEW RX OF ACCUTANE FOR ANOTHER MONTH AND A HALF!!! BAAAAAAH!

My family and I decided that i'm not going to see a derm while i'm in Pitt - i'll just come home every month to get the RX refilled. But, the next time i'll be home is for thanksgiving, so I will be missing an entire month of treatment. RAAAAH! I'm so pissed off! evil.gif

Anyways... I'm switching my regimine for the entire month thta i'm off the 'tane : spot treating with neutrogena BP, and washing with my regular acne wash. IT FEELS GOOD TO BE ABLE TO SPOT TREAT AGAIN! smile.gif Haha! So yeah... if my face gets too dry i'll obviously back up, but for now it's doing it's thaaang. It's weird to not have to take any pills everyday!

So we'll see what happens...

-kt

Hey!

Your progess has been great! tongue.gif Sucks that you won't be able to finish off the accutane treatment... hope the topicals work.

DAY 65 : New pimple on my left cheek. Very small, but its red and noticable. Oh well. Skin texture is REALLY nice though, it's super soft and not dry at all. Not sure if it's because of the masks i've been using or the scrubs, or perhaps because i'm off accutane... whatever it is, its nice!

The neutrogena BP is ok - i only use it at night and in the morning i've been using klaron lotion. Skin is under control for now, so thats good! (KNOCK ON WOOD!)

Peace

-kt

p.s.

talked to my parents yesterday and they are going to drive me home in a few weeks to go to my derm! eusa_dance.gif HOORAY!

Yep I'm a freshman at USC, my major is early childhood education. My acne is alot like yours, not too bad. How is your new regimen working for you? Do you have any advice on good spot treatment? I'm using Mario Badescu right now.

Yep I'm a freshman at USC, my major is early childhood education. My acne is alot like yours, not too bad. How is your new regimen working for you? Do you have any advice on good spot treatment? I'm using Mario Badescu right now.

Still off accutane : well, things aren't too bad! Face is normal, lips are still dry (but perhaps not as much?), and I haven't really gotten any new pimples either. I realized my back stopped hurting a few weeks ago - woo hoo!!!

BAAAH i'm so sick. cry.gif My nose is so stuffed up and I keep coughing up a STORM - and my head feels like a giant watermelon! *sigh* Sucks.

G'night smile.gif

-kt

STILL OFF, but i have a derm appt. the 18th, so i'll be back on it soon!

Skin is worse, but no major pimples. Just little bumps here and there, and the red scars i've realized haven't faded at all. Arrrghk i just want them to go away!

Nothin else really... i've been getting like no sleep and i've been smoking a lot more lately. That combination is making my skin dull and ugly. I think after thanksgiving it'll be time to turn over a new leaf!

-kt

hey katie, I'm new to the forums and I just started dan's regime, I wanted to ask you if you have tried dan's regime before, wouldn't dan's regimen clear up your type of acne? I'm just kind of confused why people have accutane logs in dan's regimen website

katie ur looking good ( a lot of progress), i wanted to ask which is teh university that u go to? im a senior and still uncertain on where i want to study..lol.

hi,

this is the first time i've visited this website, and i've been reading everyone's journals with interest...!

i'm 23, and have suffered from acne for the past 5/6 years... it has always come and gone in bouts, some lasting longer than others, and i've tried loads of different antibiotics and treatments, none having any effect... and today is my first day on accutane.

i have to admit that reading through everyone's journals kinda terrified me a bit... all these stores of breakouts etc... my acne has always been mild-moderate, and for the past month or so it's been relatively clear. that's why i'm now quite concerned that starting accutane will worsen it again, and was even worried that since my skin hasn't been too bad lately, maybe i shouldn't be starting it at all.

anyways, reading your journal has given me confidence for starting the treatment. i was so depressed and fed up at having bad breakouts all the time, and nothing i was taking would work, and i'm looking forward to finally getting it cleared up once and for all.

good luck! lol.gif

luv lola xx

DAY 65 : New pimple on my left cheek.  Very small, but its red and noticable.  Oh well.  Skin texture is REALLY nice though, it's super soft and not dry at all.  Not sure if it's because of the masks i've been using or the scrubs, or perhaps because i'm off accutane... whatever it is, its nice!

The neutrogena BP is ok - i only use it at night and in the morning i've been using klaron lotion.  Skin is under control for now, so thats good!  (KNOCK ON WOOD!)

Peace

-kt

p.s.

talked to my parents yesterday and they are going to drive me home in a few weeks to go to my derm!  eusa_dance.gif HOORAY!