Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
srslycomeon

Any advice or personal experience?

I have suffered (what I thought was acne) for the past 6 years. I have only used topical medications like retin-A with short term success. For some reason this year my skin has become really awful, the pimples themselves are not serve but my face is covered. I went to my dermatologist today and he immediately said I did not have acne but rosacea, which is causing pimples. He put me on Minocycline (antibiotic) and a cream (I honestly can't read his writing nor do I remember the name of it).

I am disheartened as he did not sound too convincing, telling me I would be on antibiotics for a month or two but some people are on it for years as acne returns as soon as they are off it. I asked him about accutane and he said I don't have white heads or black heads and ignored my question.

My concern is that although antibiotics may work for me it won't be a long term solution. I am inclined to seek accutane from another dermatologist as I don't want to be taking antibiotics for years. I understand the side effects (my sister and father have both been on it and I am constantly researching) but also understand that it can increase rosacea and redness for some people.

Has anyone with rosacea and acne been successful using antibiotics or accutane?

thank you!!