Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AAV9186

New to Doxycycline

Hi all,

I have been on Benzaclin and Differin for nearly 3 weeks now and incorporated doxycycline into my routine exactly one week ago. I called my dermatologist practically in tears because of the nasty breakouts I was experiencing- the bumps were red and inflamed. My derm told me that doxycycline would help with this. How long should I expect before the doxy starts working? I am really frustrated because I started out with pretty mild acne and now it has just gotten worse. :(

My son has been taking 100mg of doxycycline twice a day since the first of October. Based on his experience, it takes a while but he has seen a definite improvement. He doesn't have the large cysts that he had at the end of the summer. The breakouts are not as severe and seem to heal quicker.

We noticed some definite improvement after the first month but his derm has told us 6-8 weeks is usually a good time frame to determine what the results are going to be.

That's the frustrating part sometimes... It's hard to be patient but it gets easier when you begin to see results. Hang in there!

My son has been taking 100mg of doxycycline twice a day since the first of October. Based on his experience, it takes a while but he has seen a definite improvement. He doesn't have the large cysts that he had at the end of the summer. The breakouts are not as severe and seem to heal quicker.

We noticed some definite improvement after the first month but his derm has told us 6-8 weeks is usually a good time frame to determine what the results are going to be.

That's the frustrating part sometimes... It's hard to be patient but it gets easier when you begin to see results. Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement....It is just a real pain to be 24 years old and still getting pimples....So now that your son is at the 6 (ish) week mark of using doxycycline, have you noticed major improvement? I have been using the dermatologist's products for almost 5 full weeks, and I haven't noticed a difference yet.

He started using the Differin in late July and started Doxycycline about the first of October.

I wouldn't say the Differin made a huge difference in fact his skin was definitely worse by the time he started his antibiotics in October. (Which is probably why the doctor prescribed them.) He is still using the Differin at night.

His skin is definitely much better now. Yes - I would say it is a major improvement. He still has breakouts but doesn't get the large cysts he was getting (which were terrible). Kids at school were beginning to give him a hard time. He's 17 and I'm sure his hormones are a huge factor right now.

We go back to the derm tomorrow for a follow-up so we'll see what the next step is.

I would give the Doxy a good 6 weeks or so before you get too frustrated.

Sometimes I think the change is so gradual that you don't realize it's actually getting better. I have to stop and remember what he was dealing with at the beginning of school and then I can really appreciate where we are now.

Good Luck to You. I hope you begin to see some results soon.

hey, im on doxy and differin, and ive been breaking out terribly too! my acne was never this bad before. im hoping its just the initial purge and my skin will get better soon. good luck to you too!

Hey I also have just begun taking 150mg of Dorxy once a day for acne. I have only been on it for a couple of days so I can't give much insight, but I'll keep you posted. I'm also using OTC salicyclic acid spot treatment in the morning and afternoon, and aczone in the evening. I'm hoping that I see some results some without going through a purging phase. We'll see.

I've been on doxycycline for 3 months, and never had any "purging", just improvements. Didn't do much for my face but did great on my body acne.

I've been on doxy almost religiously for 2 solid years plus. It worked well for about the first year and then some but now I seem to have built up a bit of immunity because I feel like ny skin is breaking out like crazy. But yes, it does take a few weeks to work, but it will! Stay hopeful! :)