Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Splouge69

green tea = turning into girl? D:

alright 17 year old guy here. been drinking green tea to help with acne. not sure what effect it has had, probably good. and i drink a lot of it. A LOT. been reading up on the forums in this section, realized it was an anti-androgen.... i've been reading some articles on the dangers of this and possible side-effects, all of which frankly scare the shit out of me. I've been drinking it for a couple of years

i know being an adolescent can make me have too many androgens, and this could cause acne, and the green tea could be balancing this, so i guess the main question is can it over-balance it so to speak, and causing too much estrogen?

If so would it be reversible?

should i be worried? i drink probably 32 oz of it per day. it's some home-brewed green tea with mint leaves in it for taste. it makes me feel happy ;] but, i'll take acne over been turned into a woman any day.

so will it effect me negatively?

if so, are there any other natural supplements that i can take that won't turn me into a woman?

i already take zinc glucanate.

i'm really starting to worry now, i have a brother who has a lot more facial hair than me, who does not drink green tea. ahhh.. shit...

A concern that is commonly brought up about green tea is the idea that it decreases levels of androgens such as testosterone and DHT. One study reported that after administered to rats, EGCG "significantly reduced food intake; body weight; blood levels of testosterone, estradiol, leptin, insulin, insulin-like growth factor I, LH, glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride" [22]. However, a different study with green tea catechins in rats found decreased body weight but increased thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), LH, and testosterone levels [85]. A final study in mice with green tea indicated drastic increases in both testosterone and DHT from green tea treatment, but levels of both were synergistically inhibited when it was adminstered along with soy phytochemicals [86]. In vitro, EGCG inhibits type I 5AR [2, 87], which is partially responsible for the conversion of testosterone to DHT (for this reason, it has been proposed in the topical treatment of acne and hair loss [2]), while in rats, green tea is an aromatase inhibitor, which (in theory) would be responsible for an increase in tesotsterone levels [85].

So, how does one make sense of this mess of contadictory data? It should first be noted that 5AR inhibition has only been shown in vitro [87], while it has not been observed in live animals – in fact, drastic increases in DHT have been found - and it seems that other constituents of green tea counteract the 5AR inhibition [88]. The conclusions of the first study, which found drastic decreases in body weight, testosterone, and other hormones, are very misleading. A drastic reduction in levels of all of the substances mentioned can unfortunately be expected from weight loss in any situation (which is one of the reasons losing weight without losing muscle mass is so difficult). Indeed, when the authors of the same study restricted the food intake of the rats to cause a similar weight loss to that induced by EGCG, similar effects were seen, implying that the changes were not due to EGCG but due to drastic body weight loss [22]. The effect green tea has on levels of androgens and other hormones is complex and depends on various factors, but no detrimental effects have as of yet been seen in human populations.

Relax. :) From: http://www.ironmagazine.com/review50.html

alright 17 year old guy here. been drinking green tea to help with acne. not sure what effect it has had, probably good. and i drink a lot of it. A LOT. been reading up on the forums in this section, realized it was an anti-androgen.... i've been reading some articles on the dangers of this and possible side-effects, all of which frankly scare the shit out of me. I've been drinking it for a couple of years

i know being an adolescent can make me have too many androgens, and this could cause acne, and the green tea could be balancing this, so i guess the main question is can it over-balance it so to speak, and causing too much estrogen?

If so would it be reversible?

should i be worried? i drink probably 32 oz of it per day. it's some home-brewed green tea with mint leaves in it for taste. it makes me feel happy ;] but, i'll take acne over been turned into a woman any day.

so will it effect me negatively?

if so, are there any other natural supplements that i can take that won't turn me into a woman?

i already take zinc glucanate.

i'm really starting to worry now, i have a brother who has a lot more facial hair than me, who does not drink green tea. ahhh.. shit...

Why do you drink 32 oz of green tea a day? What is your major malfunction young man!? :ninja:

What is your major malfunction young man!?

:lol:

I agree.. You're bordering on excess there boss. Drink because it makes you feel good and is good for you, not as some kind of uber-treatment.

Guest i luv elizabeth taylor
What is your major malfunction young man!?

:lol:

I agree.. You're bordering on excess there boss. Drink because it makes you feel good and is good for you, not as some kind of uber-treatment.

He is drinking 4 eight ounce glasses of green tea a day. I'm not sure how this qualifies as "uber-treatment". It is extremely healthy for you and has helped with my acne as well as many others on this site. I drink the same amount. I would refrain from posting remarks like 'you're bordering on excess there boss". How is that constructive? You agree that it is healthy, so why discourage it in any way? Some have claimed it is the only thing that has helped their acne. You might even say it has become their acne "treatment".

Okay, okay apparently I was feeling UBER condescending last night, so my apologies. Still reading a thread titled like this, and then it's contents.. is sometimes too much. Good on Wynne for her constructive and informative post, and good on you guys if green tea is working as an acne 'treatment' for you. Could there be a correlation between drinking 32oz of green tea a day and your facial hair? It's possible.. If you're worried.. drink less?