Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nessie01

My scars seem to be wider after laser

I had C02 smartdot laser done for pitted, boxcar and rolling scars about 3 months ago now and the scars seem to be wider :doh: The Derm has suggested I come back in for another treatment which I have booked in a months time but I'm now not too sure I want to go ahead and may opt for a temporary filler to plump them up. Has anyone else had laser and have had similar results after the first one? Maybe the second treatment will help smooth them but I'm just not too sure if I should do it now.

lol, yeah that is pretty common. the usual reason given is as the scars rise up, they become wider and shallower. take it as a sign its really working for you :)

Phew! Thanks for that. They do appear slightly less dented - wider, yes, but certainly not deeper. Maybe it is working. Thanks Gimme!

Edited by nessie01

Nessie- try not to look at your skin for say 2-4 weeks. It CAN be done!! just get too busy to focus on details. I say this because, you are in a place where collagen is supposed to be produced, and by 6 months post procedure you 'should' be seeing some signifigant changes. IF you notice changes for the best go back and have it done again.

Thanks Adella, so if you were me you would maybe cancel the up and coming app for a months time to have another co2, take a rain check and see how it's looking after the new year? Dr Goodman seems to suggest it's best to have another around the 3-4 month mark but he also says (as you have said) "real" results can't be gauged until about 6 months post...I think I will wait it out till say Feb or so...

:redface: HI NISSE, SAD TO KNOW THAT I M ALSO PLANING TO GO FOR LASER BUT AFTER UR CASE I HAVE TO THINK TWICE.THANKS A LOT FOR UR POST .KEEP INTOUCH

Hey ness,

dont worry it wasnt the laser that did it - wait it was but its a good thing.

I noticed my indented scars after a year (doing no treatments) getting wider and maybe a wincy shallower. it is just apart of your natural healing process & your skin trying to heal itself however in your case it was an induced action by the laser.

I agree with gimme -i think its a sign its working! :dance:

CO2 was terrible for me. Scars did not improve and pores got larger. The plastic surgeon I went to suggested another and I did it. Nothing improved for me. If I could go back I would have gotten dermabrasion and fillers. And I would have gone to the dermatologist I go to now and not a plastic surgeon - the one I had did not know what he was doing.

The derm I go to now had acne himself and everything he is going to do to me he had done to himself. He is a world expert - published and has a lab. S o I feel confident with him. He really cares and the plastic surgeon did not and that ended up hurting me.

And my derms products have already improved things for me from his research. My active acne is almost gone.

So be careful please. : ) Go to someone with tons of experience and published etc.