Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
madelineee

What moisturizer should you use on a retinoid?

Its so hard to find one for me. Cetaphil CREAM gave me an allergic reaction and currently Im using Lubriderm seriously sensitive, and I have been forever, but i dont know if it makes me break out or not.

What moisturizer do you guys use?

Also, should you exfoliate at all on a retinoid? (Im on ziana)

And if so, what do you use?

You should always exfoliate while using retinoids... just be careful not to overdo it.. be gentle about it. I exfoliate every night or else my skin begins to flake.

I hated Cetaphil too... they actually irritated my skin and made it sting/burn whenever I applied it. I really like CeraVe though... I use their moisturizing cream, but I've heard great things about their moisturizing lotion too. It doesn't irritate me at all, and it dries to a matte finish.

You should always exfoliate while using retinoids... just be careful not to overdo it.. be gentle about it. I exfoliate every night or else my skin begins to flake.

I hated Cetaphil too... they actually irritated my skin and made it sting/burn whenever I applied it. I really like CeraVe though... I use their moisturizing cream, but I've heard great things about their moisturizing lotion too. It doesn't irritate me at all, and it dries to a matte finish.

Yes, i have to agree with you that the CeraVe is freaking awesome and I will continue using it. It's so light on your skin and I get no irritation whatsoever!

I like argan oil. And exfoliating every night is too much for most people. Especially on a retinoid- your skin becomes more delicate. 1-2x a week, maybe 3 should be fine.

i thought its recommended not to exfoliate while on retinoids- as the retinoids are already exfoliating? i was clear for about 2 months while on differin. then one day i suddenly decided to switch back to an older face cleanser that had salicylic acid and papaya extract in it and a few days later i broke out on my chin. i stopped using it and went back to the CeraVe hydrating cleanser and no more breakouts.

i thought its recommended not to exfoliate while on retinoids- as the retinoids are already exfoliating? i was clear for about 2 months while on differin. then one day i suddenly decided to switch back to an older face cleanser that had salicylic acid and papaya extract in it and a few days later i broke out on my chin. i stopped using it and went back to the CeraVe hydrating cleanser and no more breakouts.

I think they mean don't use exfoliating chemicals that are harsh or anything like that. You can exfoliate, but it should be fairly gentle and kept to a minimum. Ex of a bad idea: St. Ives.

I think they mean don't use exfoliating chemicals that are harsh or anything like that. You can exfoliate, but it should be fairly gentle and kept to a minimum. Ex of a bad idea: St. Ives.

I used St. Ives with Ziana and I liked it so much better than just plain cerave cleanser. Why wouldn't you used St.Ives?

I used St. Ives with Ziana and I liked it so much better than just plain cerave cleanser. Why wouldn't you used St.Ives?

I personally don't like it because it's really really harsh especially for people who are using retinoids. It can create micro tears in the skin which can spread bacteria and overall damage your skin. CeraVe is okay, not my favorite cleanser. It's just unnecessary to use something that exfoliating and harsh everyday(st. ives). I have used it in the past and it's nice but the long term results and damage to your skin aren't worth it for me.

For me, salycilic acid will usually always break me out. Maybe it's from the dryness? The other day I noticed my nose being kinda rough so I used a little bit of this cleanser my derm gave me to that also contained papaya extract. two days later I had a whitehead that turned into a papsule. Luckily it came to a head a few days after.