Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sandman21

Clearing red marks with acid peels

I'm a guy, 16, with very fair skin. Tends toward dryness, with slight oiliness around t-zone. I don't have hardly any active "acne" -- running my hands across my face feels nothing but smooth. However, I do have red marks throughout the face, especially on my cheeks. I guess my first question would be, does this sound like a problem that can be fixed by acid peels? In an ideal world, I'd be looking to reduce the red marks considerably, while at the same time, prevent active acne. (don't we all?? )

Assuming that it sounds like it would be a smart idea to try this out, I'll probably be going to the drugstore today to look at, not necessarily to immediately buy, products. What concentration of which acid would you recommend to begin with? I'm looking to get results quickly, and I hope that over the last few days, I've accustomed myself to acid by using ACV several times a day. So I don't think that I necessarily need to start at the lowest concentration, but I'm curious as to what typically is a useful concentration for those starting out.

Secondly, what should I expect from this treatment? From what I've read, it does a good job taking care of acne and red marks. How long until I should see results? Is there a lot (or any) flaking involved? Basically, what signs should I see (or not see) that would suggest the treatment is working for me?

Finally, is there a huge difference in product quality? I've seen that you have a list available, and that you swear by the Avon ones, but realistically, will *any* product containing the right amount of the right acid do the trick? In short, should I buy a CVS product, or spend more money/time going the extra mile to get something in particular?

I very much appreciate whatever advice you can provide. Thanks for your time.

I'm a guy, 16, with very fair skin. Tends toward dryness, with slight oiliness around t-zone. I don't have hardly any active "acne" -- running my hands across my face feels nothing but smooth. However, I do have red marks throughout the face, especially on my cheeks. I guess my first question would be, does this sound like a problem that can be fixed by acid peels? In an ideal world, I'd be looking to reduce the red marks considerably, while at the same time, prevent active acne. (don't we all?? )

A chemical peel would be good for helping clear red marks. Check out the pinned posts at the top of this forum; there's a post by Ariana that links to some excellent suggestions. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/place-sta...-r-t157891.html

Assuming that it sounds like it would be a smart idea to try this out, I'll probably be going to the drugstore today to look at, not necessarily to immediately buy, products. What concentration of which acid would you recommend to begin with? I'm looking to get results quickly, and I hope that over the last few days, I've accustomed myself to acid by using ACV several times a day. So I don't think that I necessarily need to start at the lowest concentration, but I'm curious as to what typically is a useful concentration for those starting out.

Any light to medium to deep chemical peel requires prep. You should, ideally, use a 10% glycolic acid product for at least two weeks prior to a peel. The prep helps remove dead tissue that would prevent the peel from penetrating evenly. The risk of using higher strength peels (never do a deep peel at home!) and this includes medium depth peels like TCA 20%, is that they MAY irritate the skin sufficiently to cause a breakout. Even the toner strength 'light' peels like the Avon product I use can cause an initial breakout as your skin purges. Lighter is better when first starting out.

Secondly, what should I expect from this treatment? From what I've read, it does a good job taking care of acne and red marks. How long until I should see results? Is there a lot (or any) flaking involved? Basically, what signs should I see (or not see) that would suggest the treatment is working for me?

The 10% glycolic or 5% lactic acid (maybe even 12% lactic acid) won't cause visible peeling and there'll be no downtime UNLESS you have a reaction and then you may want to hide out for a bit. That's not so likely though. Search through the boards to see what you might expect with each type of peel. A search engine for the web will also come in handy as those questions are VERY broad and would require a lot of time to answer, depending on the chemical, the strength, your skin, etc.

Finally, is there a huge difference in product quality? I've seen that you have a list available, and that you swear by the Avon ones, but realistically, will *any* product containing the right amount of the right acid do the trick? In short, should I buy a CVS product, or spend more money/time going the extra mile to get something in particular?

I very much appreciate whatever advice you can provide. Thanks for your time.

The Avon product is great quality. There are other peels out there in higher strengths that are also good quality. There are some shady sellers though who sell 'headlight cleaner' as pharmaceutical grade TCA. It's industrial.....not pure, not right for the skin. ;) It requires searching for reviews to determine which seller on eBay or elsewhere might be trustworthy.

http://www.yestheyrefake.net/chemical_peel.htm One place to start reading. I'd normally link to a company that I bought a few chemical peels from but they recently posted an advertisement on these boards and I shan't support them at the moment. Maybe I'll forgive them, maybe not.

Search on search engine of your choice: Chemical Peel Instructions.