Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neverwinter

DOES ROACCUTANE MAKES ME MORE PRONE TO SCARRING?

i have started using roaccutane and i noticed that every small little red bump on my skin leaves scar after they are gone after i started taking it

prior to the medication, i will have acnes but they dont leave scars or the smaller one goes away perfectly.

Yes it does cause scarring.

If you look at what the accutane is doing to your skin-drying it out, think about how this would make healing more difficult...your skin lacks the natural oils it is supposed to have, and in that way the affected skin is being starved of any hope of natural healing.

:(

the idea is you wont break out on accutane- hopefully.

Best of luck

Adella

Yes, I agree. I was on the 'tane and same thing. I had severe cystic acne mainly along my jawline and now dealing with the scarring that's been left behind. It definately did help clear my skin. It was unbelieveable! Only took about 10 days so hang in there and keep your chin up. Even if you end up with some scarring there are treatments that can help improve the appearance of scarring a little. Good luck ;)

Yes, I'd say so from personal experience. I've had acne for about 3-4 years and for the first 3 years it was pretty bad and I didn't scar at all really except for one shallow one of my jaw, I've been on accutane for nearly 7 months now and I'm reasonably clear but the pimples I have got during the course which haven't been any worse then what I had off accutane have left me with a lot of scarring.

Edited by Paperboy Bike

Guest Timehealsall
Yes, I'd say so from personal experience. I've had acne for about 3-4 years and for the first 3 years it was pretty bad and I didn't scar at all really except for one shallow one of my jaw, I've been on accutane for nearly 7 months now and I'm reasonably clear but the pimples I have got during the course which haven't been any worse then what I had off accutane have left me with a lot of scarring.

how bad is your scarring? How many do you have? Is it moderate scarring?

id say yes too - but at the same time, it is so worth it :) just to be clearer is priceless, especially when the acne is making you scar anyway.

No it's not worth it AT ALL. There are so many ways to clear your acne other than accutane....

Only take accutane if your acne is REALLY REALLY bad AND leaves scars behind. If it doesn't scar, live with it, find the reason why you are breaking out. Eventually it will clear and you will have beautifull skin.

Take accutane and be left with scars for the rest of your life.

Don't make the mistake 75% of the people on this scarring board have made.

id say yes too - but at the same time, it is so worth it :) just to be clearer is priceless, especially when the acne is making you scar anyway.

No it's not worth it AT ALL. There are so many ways to clear your acne other than accutane....

Only take accutane if your acne is REALLY REALLY bad AND leaves scars behind. If it doesn't scar, live with it, find the reason why you are breaking out. Eventually it will clear and you will have beautifull skin.

Take accutane and be left with scars for the rest of your life.

Don't make the mistake 75% of the people on this scarring board have made.

ive already taken it :) i developed cysts after using copper peptides and accutane was the only thing that stopped it.

if there are SO many cures out there, im sure a lot of people would be willing to try them. as of yet i havent seen anything that come close.

what ARE these alternatives you speak of?

Edited by gimme gimme gimme

I'd say moderate. Im actually gonna put some pics up sometime soon to see if I can get some suggestions and thoughts on it and I'll put up pictures pre accutane as well to show the difference(and keep in mind that my acne was just as bad before accutane if not worse and I had it for 2-3 years with very little scarring). I've got a patch of rolling scars just to the left of my chin and then my right cheek/jaw line has various depressed scars and I've also noticed now that I have quite a few raised little red bumps that have been there for a while. And also my cheeks now have a very rough, what I've seen best described as a orange peel texture to them. I'm hoping they're quite shallow though when I look straight on into a mirror the ones of my cheeks aren't too noticeable its just when the light catches them they look terrible. Going to my derm next week so will see what he has to say. It's annoying I have to wait at least another 6 months before I can do anything about it.

Venting over.

Edited by Paperboy Bike

ive already taken it :) i developed cysts after using copper peptides and accutane was the only thing that stopped it.

if there are SO many cures out there, im sure a lot of people would be willing to try them. as of yet i havent seen anything that come close.

Try eating crackers for a week and drink just water and see if it makes a difference. People usually break out to certain foods.

Try to balance your hormones. Stop jerking off. Take a walk outside for a few hours daily.

Try blue light, red light.

Try the other 500 antibiotics out there.

Try loading 10% BP on your face.

Anything but roaccutane which will most likely scar you for life. I thought it was the easy cure too. But the docs didnt tell me it would break me out on my cheeks and SCAR my skin.

Edited by Ziko

accutane def makes you more prone to scarring and thats a fact! but does accutane permanently make ur skin prone to scarring? i really want to get fraxel repair done and what is the safest waiting time before getting it done..ive heard 6months, a year and even two years...what is it really tho?

ziko,

red and blue lights - i have them. i put them on pimples that had already come to ahead and found it simply wasnt helping at all. i took that as a sign it wasnt working. however, i do use red/yellow/infrared for healing.

antibiotics - in australia (and i have asked specifically), i have been told they only have minocycline. i used them off and off for a period of a 5-6 months, found they didnt work and went to the BP. plus, they gave me strange stomach cramps :(

10% BP - ive been using OXY 5% BP and OXY BP facewash some success for around 8 years. i never got any cysts, but it left me with a very rugged/aged skin tone. when my skin started getting worse, i went to the 10% BP for around 2-3 months and it simply wasnt helping. ive recently read 2.5% BP has been proven to be as effective, so if i must go back to it, it seems like the best.

hormones - id like to keep the sex i have :) im a sexual being and its my release

foods - ive found i break out with gluten, dairy and sugar. so my diet is pretty simple. occasionally i get hungry and have a cracker - but crackers are a trigger food for me ...water is the only thing i drink, in addition to green tea :) i ate a lot of oranges whilst i was in spain and this was around the time i developed cysts. a mate of mine develops cysts from oranges too, so ive never had another one since :)

Guest Timehealsall

I'd say moderate. Im actually gonna put some pics up sometime soon to see if I can get some suggestions and thoughts on it and I'll put up pictures pre accutane as well to show the difference(and keep in mind that my acne was just as bad before accutane if not worse and I had it for 2-3 years with very little scarring). I've got a patch of rolling scars just to the left of my chin and then my right cheek/jaw line has various depressed scars and I've also noticed now that I have quite a few raised little red bumps that have been there for a while. And also my cheeks now have a very rough, what I've seen best described as a orange peel texture to them. I'm hoping they're quite shallow though when I look straight on into a mirror the ones of my cheeks aren't too noticeable its just when the light catches them they look terrible. Going to my derm next week so will see what he has to say. It's annoying I have to wait at least another 6 months before I can do anything about it.

Venting over.

how old r ur scars

Guest Timehealsall

Try eating crackers for a week and drink just water and see if it makes a difference. People usually break out to certain foods.

Try to balance your hormones. Stop jerking off. Take a walk outside for a few hours daily.

Try blue light, red light.

Try the other 500 antibiotics out there.

Try loading 10% BP on your face.

Anything but roaccutane which will most likely scar you for life. I thought it was the easy cure too. But the docs didnt tell me it would break me out on my cheeks and SCAR my skin.

well, i have some scars already (never took accutane) but i am sure if i take it, my scarring would probably become way worse. Trying the acne.org regimen and antibiotics

I think a study needs to truly be done on accutane and scarring.

If I had to ball park guess I'd say a majority of people with moderate and more scarring were on accutane.

Now, I am sure skin can and does scar without accutane but accutane and other topical retinoids creates a sensitivity to the skin and causes it to scar IMHO.

TOpical retinoids on inverse help skin renewal... but at the same time during use may or m ay not make skin more susceptible to scarring... so skin must stay clear when on topical retinoids.

Before accutane I do not remember red marks and/or acne being as severe... Accutane made acne VERY severe... then slowly better... eventually clear. Scabs were deep and that caused me scarring.

In fact... a lot of scarring procedures... doctors say and warn about use of accutane and say that someone must wait 18 months or whatever time period depending on the procedure... this also indicates that the healing of skin slows down on accutane.

I think a study needs to truly be done on accutane and scarring.

If I had to ball park guess I'd say a majority of people with moderate and more scarring were on accutane.

Now, I am sure skin can and does scar without accutane but accutane and other topical retinoids creates a sensitivity to the skin and causes it to scar IMHO.

TOpical retinoids on inverse help skin renewal... but at the same time during use may or m ay not make skin more susceptible to scarring... so skin must stay clear when on topical retinoids.

Before accutane I do not remember red marks and/or acne being as severe... Accutane made acne VERY severe... then slowly better... eventually clear. Scabs were deep and that caused me scarring.

In fact... a lot of scarring procedures... doctors say and warn about use of accutane and say that someone must wait 18 months or whatever time period depending on the procedure... this also indicates that the healing of skin slows down on accutane.

there is no doubt you are right sportsguy23, but at the same time there seems to be a general rule on here where people tell everyone not to try accutane, when their acne is bad and scarring, whilst really leaving them in the lurch and not providing any suitable alternatives. telling someone with deep cysts to go and try an antiobiotic is a bit silly :think:

i remember a few months ago, there was a 16 year old and the poor guy already had more scarring than the rest of us combined and the cruel people on here kept telling him not to take accutane. i convinced him to try it (amongst others) and he went on it, his acne reduced substancially in the first month or two and he no longer has the acne that was causing him to scar so badly. he was much happier, let me tell you.

yes we were unlucky and scarred from it, but a lot of other people havent. god the majority of people i know took it when they were younger and have no scarring today because of it.

PS for those who have used accutane and now want to get it out of your system, i recommend niacin. I've read it is able to remove toxins from fat. Since high levels of vitamin a is stored within the fat, an ongoing use of niacin should effective deplete it over time.

i've just started using it today and gosh golly, what an interesting product. extreme flushing followed by a itchy, sick, drunk feeling...what an interesting vitamin.

Guest Timehealsall

i know a few friends who have taken it as well and have picture perfect skin (some had cystic acne as well). Me, the dumbass i was, always spot treated my acne ( i always had moderate acne, but only 4-5 pimples on my face, until recently where it got worse). Somehow i am left with indents even though i never picked at my acne.

Shoulda taken accutane long time ago.. but im afraid to take it now.

i know a few friends who have taken it as well and have picture perfect skin (some had cystic acne as well). Me, the dumbass i was, always spot treated my acne ( i always had moderate acne, but only 4-5 pimples on my face, until recently where it got worse). Somehow i am left with indents even though i never picked at my acne.

Shoulda taken accutane long time ago.. but im afraid to take it now.

if you dont want to take it, dont take it - simple :) personally, i dont think any doctor would recommend it for your acne, it seems way too minor.

your problem is probably closed comedomes like mine (since the few scars you do have look quite similar to mine). things like BP and SA, even glycolic acid wont get rid of those to any great degree.

you should look into professional extractions, either by a derm or a skin therapist.

where the acne is severe and all other treatments have failed, people should have no hesitation taking accutane. the sooner, the better in my view.

thats true... if I had went on accutane a year or so earlier...before acne got bad, I would probably not have my scarring.

but with all the restrictions on accutane the doctors only want to do it as a last resort...

thats true... if I had went on accutane a year or so earlier...before acne got bad, I would probably not have my scarring.

but with all the restrictions on accutane the doctors only want to do it as a last resort...

oh agreed. i guess it depends on the individual doctor. its funny, because when i went to GPs they would keep insisting my skin was great and my acne wasnt bad, regardless of the fact i had cysts that were scarring. its almost as though they were waiting for it to become disfiguring before they attempted to do something. when i explained antibiotics hadnt worked they just sat there (like they didnt know what to do), instead of recommending i see a derm. i had to force the pen and paper into ones hand and make her write a referral...darn cow couldnt even spell either.

as soon as i went to my derm the conversation was, have you tried antibiotics and have they failed, when i said yes, it was straight to the accutane. thank god.

ive found its easier to surpass the doctors when dealing with skin problems - because quite frankly they arent very smart when it comes to SPECIFIC concerns. i think if many surpassed the docs, they would get to the derm a lot faster.

that sucks... unfortunately I had a derm that was so afraid and so careful with the accutane that we waited until acne was at its absolute worse. i asked for it a year earlier... and unfortunately I didn't have the tiem or money to go around to a lot of derms to get it. Really shitty situation.