Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mboona

exfoliating while on differin?

does anyone exfoliate using salicylic acid or is normal cleansing with say cerave hydrating cleanser should be fine for those on differin?

I would use the CeraVe instead. If you feel the need to exfoliate I think SA is okay but I use other stuff.

What exactly do you use to exfoliate?

When I had tons of pustules/cystic breakouts, I would just massage my fingers over my face in the shower, but now I use a washcloth and rub it gently across my skin. This seems a little abrasive, so I'm wondering if there are better alternatives out there?

btw mboona, a cleanser probably isn't enough for exfoliation.. you should exfoliate after cleansing as well. I usually get flakes if I don't exfoliate every night.

Edited by fourfivesix

every single time it seems like i use salyclic acid face wash, i would break out. i would stay clear for months when using just the cerave hydrating cleanser. flaking isn't my problem. i have dry /oily skin.

usually exfoliation is recommended once or twice a week... never nightly. I'm just going to regularly cleanse instead.

Edited by mboona

I would use the CeraVe instead. If you feel the need to exfoliate I think SA is okay but I use other stuff.

What exactly do you use to exfoliate?

When I had tons of pustules/cystic breakouts, I would just massage my fingers over my face in the shower, but now I use a washcloth and rub it gently across my skin. This seems a little abrasive, so I'm wondering if there are better alternatives out there?

btw mboona, a cleanser probably isn't enough for exfoliation.. you should exfoliate after cleansing as well. I usually get flakes if I don't exfoliate every night.

Hey sorry I didn't see this!

I only exfoliate 1-2x a week at the most. I use ExfoliKate by Kate Somerville - but my skin isn't sensitive and it's really expensive (using a large sample) so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Try to get an exfoliant where you don't have to scrub too much or at all. Using glycolic acid is a good way to go if you think your skin isn't too sensitive. I have a wash that I use for that. You probably shouldn't need to do too much exfoliating overall though on a retinoid. The best gentle scrub (jojoba beads instead if shards of hardened fruit lol) is Peter Thomas Roth Botanical scrubbing beads.

Overall it's best to use a gentle cleanser everyday. I would not exfoliate daily.

does anyone exfoliate using salicylic acid or is normal cleansing with say cerave hydrating cleanser should be fine for those on differin?

Just cleanse. The Differin exfoliates all by its lonesome.

what about parts of my skin that i dont use differin on? I only use it on my chin and right side of my face... every other part of my face is clear but dry... especially during low humidity days. i use cerave cream on my cheeks- works great but still a little itchy sometimes.

what about parts of my skin that i dont use differin on? I only use it on my chin and right side of my face... every other part of my face is clear but dry... especially during low humidity days. i use cerave cream on my cheeks- works great but still a little itchy sometimes.

It should be used over the entire face. Your whole face needs the benefit of retinoids. Even if you don't think you break out in those spots Differin could prevent future breakouts there. And the beneficial changes induced by retinoids should be experienced by the whole face.

Ya i know the potential benefits, but since I do not have insurance and since the rest of my face is clear I see no reason to risk an initial breakout. Plus my left cheek is already dry with moisturizer, no need to dry it further- Infact my derm. suggested only using it on trouble areas. I used retinoids on my forehead in the past and stopped and have been breakout free for over 1 year. I also continued to moisture and cleanse - which was something i didn't do when i was having horrific breakouts- My cheeks have never ever had any breakouts. I just started using it on my right cheek because of a sudden deep multiple cyst breakout concentrated on one portion only. Most likely from not cleansing enough or dryness. My acne is pretty mild - i'll get random cysts from time to time in the past that are big and deep, but mostly on my chin which differin has been able to control perfectly so far. Even when I experienced the worse breakouts on my chin and forehead my cheeks remained absolutely clear. Then just recently - this past summer I started forming a couple of cysts on the right side of my face and then i started to use differin on it too in fear of it spreading- which it hasnt (knock on wood). Until i start having problems with my left side or acne comes back on my forehead, i'll just hold off on it for financial and practical reasons.

Edited by mboona

Ah, that stinks. :( Glycolic acid on the spots you don't use Differin. See my signature, the link that starts "Glycolic acid..."

Ah, that stinks. :( Glycolic acid on the spots you don't use Differin. See my signature, the link that starts "Glycolic acid..."

How do you feel about salicylic acid?

in the past (5 months or so ago) i never regularly cleansed my cheeks. They are dried compared to my oily t zone. I would cleanse with this a salicylic and papaya extract cleanser my derm sold me about once every week or 10 days and then just apply moisturizer. it worked great for years actually- but was a little drying- so I switched over to Cerave hydrating cleanser for the cheeks weekly and it's been great. but then more recently i noticed the skin on the left side has been dull and the moisturizer hasnt been working that great- so im tempted to go back to using the old cleanser, but... when i used it on my nose and chin it broke me out a few days later...

Edited by mboona

How do you feel about salicylic acid?

I like it muchly but my first love is glycolic. :P Many many people like salicylic though; it's a great treatment.

I read some where that AHA and BHA acids exfoliate surface skin cells, while retinoinds deal with under the surface cells?