Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
integra56

I have a hole in my back! Possibly acne related?

A few weeks ago I noticed a HUGE lump on my back. If it was a zit then it's the biggest one I have ever had in my life. I treated it daily with an over the counter acne astringent and within a week it was completely gone EXCEPT it left a hole in my back. I've had scars before, but this isn't a scar, it's a HOLE! Please view photo and advise on what may have caused this or what action I may need to take to correct this. Thanks!

post-140171-1288481510_thumb.jpg

post-140171-1288481510_thumb.jpg

Edited by integra56

You'll need to upload the image as an attachment as new members can't post links. I'll also move this to the scar treatments forum as it does sound like a scar. One thing: try at least to be glad that it's not a hole on your face. The back is much more easily concealed and even if you wear a swimsuit, one scar on the back isn't so bad.

I'd suggest going to a derm as that looks like it may remain infected. A general practitioner would be fine, too.

You'll need to upload the image as an attachment as new members can't post links. I'll also move this to the scar treatments forum as it does sound like a scar. One thing: try at least to be glad that it's not a hole on your face. The back is much more easily concealed and even if you wear a swimsuit, one scar on the back isn't so bad.

did you pick it at all?

given the size of it, it looks like it wouldve been a cyst. the astringent you used appears to have done little in preventing scarring, so you might want to look into a new one :redface:

i agree with wynne - thank god its on your back.

if you really are bothered by it, your best bet is to probably have it excised.

^ True about the cyst. Sounds more like a sebaceous cyst. Those DO need to be excised or they'll simply return unless the entire encapsulated part and the capsule itself came out. They do start as very large (in most cases) lumps, and they usually form on the back, shoulders, chest.

Do go to a doctor, okay? :)

My ex boyfriend got those on his back every time he got decent-sized cysts there. I usually put some antibiotic ointment on it and put band aid over it just when he was going to be doing something like working on his car. Other than that, it was open to the air. The hole itself would take a couple weeks to heal. Sometimes they left scars; sometimes they didn't.

Yes I did have to pick off the hard shell each time I applied the astringent. It wasn't very strong stuff. I got the "sensitive skin" formula in case I decided that I also wanted to use it on my face. So I should see a doctor? What exactly if your level of expertise? Are you dermatologists? Could this be a bot fly issue?

Wynne's a nurse. I'm a nobody with an ex who was stubborn about not going to doctors. You should see a doctor if she says to.

Yes I did have to pick off the hard shell each time I applied the astringent. It wasn't very strong stuff. I got the "sensitive skin" formula in case I decided that I also wanted to use it on my face. So I should see a doctor? What exactly if your level of expertise? Are you dermatologists? Could this be a bot fly issue?

Possible but NOT likely. :) I'm an RN. NOT a doctor. No one on these boards is a doctor; this is a peer-sharing network only.

Yes, you should go to a doctor.

Well my health insurance has a $5,000 deductible so its hard for me to see a doctor. I googled "sebaceous cyst" and it appears as though those have to be removed surgically or with a heating pad. What type of cyst would respond to a basic OTC alcohol astringent like this one did? Thanks both of you for your advice I really appreciate it!

Well my health insurance has a $5,000 deductible so its hard for me to see a doctor. I googled "sebaceous cyst" and it appears as though those have to be removed surgically or with a heating pad. What type of cyst would respond to a basic OTC alcohol astringent like this one did? Thanks both of you for your advice I really appreciate it!

None, the astringent didn't do anything except maybe a little infection control at the risk of irritation. You picking off the scab kept opening it up and allowing it to drain. If it heals decently, has no more warmth, drainage, or redness, you might be safe enough just doing the antibiotic ointment and bandaid thing. NO MORE PICKING, K? :P

My ex's cysts (acne or sebaceous, I have no clue) turned into holes with any kind of picking, like when you took the hard shell off of it.

Can you look into aid because you can't afford your deductible? There are programs that can decrease your cost, so it's more proportional to your income, and there are programs that let you pay the bill in small increments without interest. There are probably other types of programs, too. I wouldn't mess with sepsis.

Here is what I found out, in case anyone is still following this:

This was probably a ruptured epidermal inclusion cyst, sometimes mistakenly called a sebaceous cyst. What is appearing as a "hole" is actually a markedly dilated follicular opening. As far as the hole, that was the center where the plug was blocked. If this is the case, then there is no medical need and plenty of people go walking around with the hole and do just fine.

It could also be another condition called Ecthyma, which can present with a hole like this - it is usually covered with a blackish eschar which on removal discharges pus and can leave a deep hole. The other thing is that you must have it checked for myiasis (maggots - aka human bot flies). A ruptured epidermal inclusion cyst remains a possibility. The solution is Oxy 10 ointment and cleaning with soap and water to keep the hole free of infection till you can see a doctor in person. After an insect larva or maggots are ruled out one or two stitches should close the hole.

Hope this helps anyone out there that may have noticed the same type of scar somewhere on their body!

its looks like a belly button, last post sounds good, check for gunk in it, if its free, sow it up, but if there's still a plug, the cyst, is maybe why it isn't closing up itself, need to pop out the infection. i had one before and doctor thought it was gone and closed it up with their medical super glue well it reopened it and i was playing with it and it popped out, and i have an ugly scar from it but its on my leg and can be conceal even with shorts on

Edited by bameano

Here is what I found out, in case anyone is still following this:

This was probably a ruptured epidermal inclusion cyst, sometimes mistakenly called a sebaceous cyst. What is appearing as a "hole" is actually a markedly dilated follicular opening. As far as the hole, that was the center where the plug was blocked. If this is the case, then there is no medical need and plenty of people go walking around with the hole and do just fine.

It could also be another condition called Ecthyma, which can present with a hole like this - it is usually covered with a blackish eschar which on removal discharges pus and can leave a deep hole. The other thing is that you must have it checked for myiasis (maggots - aka human bot flies). A ruptured epidermal inclusion cyst remains a possibility. The solution is Oxy 10 ointment and cleaning with soap and water to keep the hole free of infection till you can see a doctor in person. After an insect larva or maggots are ruled out one or two stitches should close the hole.

Hope this helps anyone out there that may have noticed the same type of scar somewhere on their body!

Those are your guesses, right? I take it you haven't gone to a doctor. :) Ah well.

Actually there is web site called justanswer.com that has experts in every field who will answer any question for approx. 20 bucks. They have professional dermatologists on their and yes the web site checks their credentials and verifies their degrees. This is a credible site. I paid for two different dermatologists to look at my picture and give their professional opinion. Here is the latest response from one of the doctors that I am still communicating with:

The Human Bot Fly is mainly present in south america, mexico and africa so unless you have travelled to these parts in the last 6 weeks a bot fly infestation is not likely. I'm talking about the larval stage of the common house fly - called myiasis. This could have occured after the epidermal cyst/boil burst in the wound left behind. I prefer Bacitracin ointment to Oxy 10 to prevent or treat bacterial infection but Oxy 10 will do as well. If there is no sign of any infection - i.e. redness, pain, swelling, pus discharge or fever then cleaning with a basic otc astringent (such as "clean and clear") also ok.

Lasltly if you cannot see a doctor immediately then try filling the hole with vaseline and then covering it with a bad-aid/micropore tape - this will kill any larvae present in the wound by asphyxiation. They will still need to be removed in a few days though and this is best done by a doctor/qualified health professional.

I don't practice in the US so I wouldn't know the exact charges but I would expect it to be under $500.

Well to the trained eyes of two doctors, one of whom has been practicing dermatology for over 30 years, it's an epidermal inclusion cyst, not an "alien". :-)

go to a local pharmacy Regan's or Walgreen's and request that they look up and order you a tube of Medihoney. Put it on the wound daily and cover it with a tough pad made by ban-aid. I promise you it will heal and very fast, and if it is caused by an infection the medihoney will kill it. Medihoney heals MRSA wounds, and nothing works on MRSA. It has to be medihoney though- not regular honey, regular honey is not filtered or irradiated to remove bacteria and spores- this is why many threads on this site with users using regular honey never work out well.

I use Medihoney all the time on my wounds because I'm on bloodthinners and it takes me a very long time to heal. I dont scar when I use this stuff right away after getting a wound.

Edited by 2001