Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jkr

retin-a

So I took retin-a for acne and it didn't do jack. Accutane is what cured me. The dermatologist told me to still take retin-a for minor break outs and if i wanted to get my scarring removed. I have read that it does give a youthful look to your skin. HOWEVER, I cant use it because accutane weakened my face to the point that if i take retin-a just once my face itches for a few days.

Has anyone with accutane had any luck with retin-a or any other retinoid topical creams?

HAHAH hey becca. I forgot about this site and then checked my email. Someone had sent me a message.

HAHAH hey becca. I forgot about this site and then checked my email. Someone had sent me a message.

LOL welcome back. I saw your name and I was like woah! Haha.

Now - to your question.

I have been using Differin with excellent results. If you feel like your face is too sensitive, try and use it every other night, or every 3rd night. You can also mix a little bit with moisturizer although I'm not sure how well that would work. What moisturizer are you using? Differin has plumped up my skin a lot and Retin-A would probably do the same thing for you.

I have tons of accutane, differine, and retina left over but I think I should use to lower dose. Differine didnt work for me period. Overall though I only break out like once a week and it's usually a small pimple. Still annoying though.

I have tons of accutane, differine, and retina left over but I think I should use to lower dose. Differine didnt work for me period. Overall though I only break out like once a week and it's usually a small pimple. Still annoying though.

Hmmm. Yeah maybe go down to the .01 or something. But it's mostly for the scarring though right? You could just use BP for spot treatment on the once a week breakout.

For me, Retin-A has helped. My scars have gotten smaller, but this might be actually due to some dermarolling, needling, and TCA cross I did too. Also, maybe it's in my head, but I feel that massaging the scars really helps. I think that it might help to stimulate collagen growth.

With retin-A, you can you really massage your scars nicely, and I feel like this yields improvement. Other studies have confirmed this too, though it all might be imaginary.

Needling has helped me a lot, and I do it myself! I do some little sections at a time so I can still look presentable. Many of the pores and scars on my forehead and cheeks have reduced significantly or completely disappeared. It's a very slow process though, and you have to make sure not to overdo it. You need to space treatments apart.

okok, just some of my experiences. good luck :-)

Differin has plumped up my skin a lot and Retin-A would probably do the same thing for you.

What does that mean actually... 'plumping up' skin?

Hmm. Well it's made it more soft, smooth, filled out. Plump like a baby's face- their skin texture and appearance.

Hmm. Well it's made it more soft, smooth, filled out. Plump like a baby's face- their skin texture and appearance.

Ok thnx! I hope Differin will do the same for me! How long did it take to notice this plumping effect? I've been using Differin for 3,5 months now.

Ok thnx! I hope Differin will do the same for me! How long did it take to notice this plumping effect? I've been using Differin for 3,5 months now.

3.5 months?

It's different for everyone... took me about 3-4 months to really notice. : ]

Retin A never did anything to me... Maybe it needs to be long term use?

I wouldn't depend on it to treat acne.

BP and AHA are FAR more effective than Retin A for me.

How long did you consecutively use it for?

I have been using retin a for about a 4 weeks now and have noticed my skin is becoming a lot smoother. I think with continued use of this product you will see great results.

How long did you consecutively use it for?

I have tried it continuously for about 2 months every night @ 0.1 strength

It's not like it broke me out, or did anything dramatic.

I was/am cleared so I was/am looking for something for scar reduction.

So far, 15% AHA seems to be working the best for me.

3.5 months?

Hmm, so I should have noticed it allready...

3.5 months?

Hmm, so I should have noticed it allready...

Nope, it takes some people a little longer. Fear not

It's really difficult not to fear... before Differin I had no dentsbut at this point every pimple I do get leaves an indented scar. I can't stop crying... :cry:

Edited by Weelassie1984

It's really difficult not to fear... before Differin I had no dentsbut at this point every pimple I do get leaves an indented scar.

thats a bit worrying. id love to try retin a or differin for my scars. they say it can be the uglies that will occur for several months, until new collagen forms....all the same, it is a scary prospect. what do these indented scars look like?

large pores or actual scar tissue?

Guest Timehealsall

It's really difficult not to fear... before Differin I had no dentsbut at this point every pimple I do get leaves an indented scar. I can't stop crying... :cry:

just curious, but how long did it take differin to cause your zits to become scars? Was it a long process i.e many months or did it happen in a matter of weeks?

Some look like (very) large pores, some are bigger holes. The scars were formed in a matter of weeks after the zit was gone.

@gimme, what do you mean by 'they say it can be the uglies that will occur for several months, until new collagen forms'?

Some look like (very) large pores, some are bigger holes. The scars were formed in a matter of weeks after the zit was gone.

@gimme, what do you mean by 'they say it can be the uglies that will occur for several months, until new collagen forms'?

ive never used retin-a for an extended period of time (never more than a week on the two occasions i used it due to problems with peeling etc), but i like to read a lot to learn as much as i can about something before i use it on myself.

when i read many of the posts on retin-a there seems to be a consensus it peels the skin. when it peels the skin it uncovers more of the scars which may have previously have been hidden by a thin layer of skin. this may make the scars look a lot worse and this is where a lot of people stop and write negative reviews on here.

if they were to continue and ignore the additional scarring (which would be hard for anyone to imagine), over time the retin-a would wear more and more of these scars away until they reach a point where they are level and not as noticable.

however, at the same time people claim they are seeing their acne scar when it hadnt done so previously. this indicates it is either impairing healing (which is worrying), or it is the breakout itself causing the scarring and they would have scarred anyway.

i have a lot of closed comedomes and a mixture of light and moderate scarring, so in theory retin-a would be perfect for me. im instead going to get them extracted weekly and simply continue doing tca peels alongside tca cross and subcision once my skin reaches a point where it healed. im just too freaked out by all this to give it a try.

when i read many of the posts on retin-a there seems to be a consensus it peels the skin. when it peels the skin it uncovers more of the scars which may have previously have been hidden by a thin layer of skin. this may make the scars look a lot worse and this is where a lot of people stop and write negative reviews on here.

if they were to continue and ignore the additional scarring (which would be hard for anyone to imagine), over time the retin-a would wear more and more of these scars away until they reach a point where they are level and not as noticable.

I hope that they will level eventually... What worries me a lot is that new zits, the ones I get while on Differin, all leave a scar. Even the tiny ones. Before Differin I didn't have any indented scars but now every zit leaves a scar. So when I get a zit get SO scared that I can't sleep at night.