Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I bought 100% tea tree oil and on the internet read that i need to dilute it. I went to drugstore and bought baby oil. I was diluting it with tea tree oil 2:10 and i had pretty good results. Then one day i started reading about mineral oil and there was so many different opinions about it. Basically if you're on a website which sells natural products then they tell you that mineral oil is bad for you and so on.

On websites which promote products containing mineral oil they say that mineral oil is ok and natural companies want you to switch to mineral oil alternatives which aren't really better.

Natural product promoters say that:

Mineral oil causes cancer

Mineral oil dries the skin and causes premature aging

Mineral oil robs the skin of vitamins

Mineral oil causes acne

Mineral oi doesn't let skin breath

Mineral oil lovers try to explain that it isn't as bad as natural product sellers want you to think and that it has been around for a long time and nobody has died because of it.

To me it seems that there is lack of scientific evidence on internet about this topic. In some comments of blogs which write about mineral oil people quote articles from medicine journals which aren't publised on internet like this:

"Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that's what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don't suffocate skin! Moreover, petrolatum and mineral oil are known for being efficacious in wound healing, and are also considered to be among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40)