Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theamericanswede

Angular Chelitis and Accutane

Second time taking accutane, on day 65 I believe. I have been suffering from Angular Chelitis (cracks at the corners of my mouth) for some while. How long I can't really say...I am going crazy about the cracks, since they look ugly and bother me. I've treated my mouth with Mycostatin (oral fungus) and been appliying Daktacort (cream fungus) for 8 weeks now. My cracks are very small, they do not bleed and they do not hurt when I open my mouth. However, since I am rrally dry from the medicine and stuff they bother me in that sense that it feels awkward.

I try to treat this by after I have been showering I put on dish soap on my crack, then apply white vaselin, that I let be on my cracks for 2 hours. (This treatment can be found on the internet, some people claim it works) After 2 hours I apply my daktacort and during the day I have a tube of white vaselin that I apply whenever my lips feel dry. I bought yesterday Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream. Tried it yesterday, felt relieved.

However, my cracks are still there, fucking with my mind. I do not suffer from any iron or B12 deficcency, since I had my blood checked out.

Anyone else suffering from this bullshit that can help me? My dermatologist has been trying to help, giving me daktacort, mycostatin etc...but he says that the accutane makes the healing process harder since everything in my body is really dry. However, I can't wait for my accutane course to be done to see if that will help my lips...I want fast results, since this is affecting my life, always feeling awkward in my lips

I went through the same angular cheilitis hell. The only thing that helped mine was applying a 10% Hydrocortisone gel (I bought Cortizone 10 ointment). Not sure if the creams work just as well, but my derm told me to use a gel if I could find one. Within a couple of days, the cracks had healed! I applied it several times a day until all of the irritation was gone. Then I applied it proactively when I thought I could feel another bout of cracked corners coming on. Once I started using the Cortizone (about 2 months into my 4 month course) I never had problems with cracked corners again. I also applied a thin layer to my lips at night maybe once a week, to help with the dryness.

You might want to stop everything else you're doing for a bit, because too much treatment can exacerbate the dryness. I'd recommend trying the hydrocortisone and using some sort of lip moisturizer (e.g., Aquaphor) for a week or so, to see if that does the trick.

Good luck!

Okey thanks!

Well I used for 4 weeks Ficotril - which contain Hydrocortisone and 1% steroids. It did little to help, however, eased my burning.

Perhaps, I should stop with all the treatments. Well Im not going to apply anymore Daktacort (doubt it is fungus since I have treated it for 8 weeks...and I've had no bleeding or bumps or deep cuts) But the remedy - with dish soap and white vaselin really makes the cuts smaller and ease some of the pain.

I will meet my dermatologist in 10 days. I will demand that we sort this out. I wonder what is wrong. I could ask about 10% hydrocrotizone...I just wished this could get out of my life,m my acne is bad enough

Oops, I meant to write 1% Hydrocortisone ointment, not 10%. Anyway, if the soap and vaseline is working, then by all means, stick with it. Everyone's body reacts differently to treatment. I hadn't tried anything else before I tried the Cortizone 10, aside from just applying copious amounts of Aquaphor to the cracks, which didn't help. Since the Cortizone 10 worked so well, I never tried anything after that.

Hope you and your derm get it sorted out! I would say that angular cheilitis was the worst part of my treatment and I was incredibly relieved once I got it under control.

applied Eight Hour Cream 1 hour ago. It feels amazing.

Contains: Petrolatum, Lanolin, Mineral Oil/Paraffinum Liquidum/Huile Mineral, Tocopherol, BHT, Salicylyc Acid, Rincinus Communism (Castor) Seed Oil, Vegetable Oil/Olus/Huile Vegetale, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Parfum/Fragrance, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides

This doesn't tell me much, but I thought I post it so anyone could jump in and tell me something bad or good about this.

As I said, 1 hour applied it, and my lips are still not dry. Awesome! Going out now, hope they last for 8 hours :D

not really working...I wonder how I can get rid of this bullshit. Im so tired of my cuts.........................................................acne and angular chelitis...I'm blessed....and its not going to get better since I do a lot of kissing............I just want to get rid of this.....just going to use Silon - white vaselin with zincoxid during morning and night...thern during the day use Idomin - Idomin contains 85 -90% fat (petroleum jelly and peanut oil), zinc and vitamin E.

Synthetic bergamot oil is listed as fragrance.

Please help me...some people here must have experienced the same trouble - anyone who had a girlfriend (since kissing is not going to make it better) :P